Easy runs -- just how fast/slow???

For those of us who have a 5K run result timewise , use this calculator to see how fast of a pace you should (according to the experts) run an "easy/long" run. fellrnr.com/wiki/VDOT_Calcu...

Just select 5k and enter your time , and the first line of the result in minutes per mile or minutes per KLm is what you are looking for.

My fastest 5K has been 32:25 - but to achieve that I am just about vomiting at the end !! -- so I will put 35 minutes into the calculator ( this is still a fast run for me , but not overdoing it) -- the calculator says that I should be doing easy/long runs at around 8:30 per KLm. This does seem to be very slow -- but as I have building up the length of my non-stop runs, and deliberatly running at a conversational pace where my breathing is barely raised at all and I can indeed talk , guess what?? -- my paces have actually matched this very closely - within a few seconds per K. This of course would mean an easy run of 42:30 for a 5K easy run -- something that nobody really wants to do because 5K's are meant to be "fast" :)

It is said that long times spent running at this pace is absolutely necessary to build up a solid aerobic base - faster speed work ie intervals is also necessary later on to develop maximum oxygen uptake by the body. But building the base is supposed to come first!!!

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I did the thing Baz and it gave me a VDOT (whatever that means! It didn't say, or at least I couldn't see it!) of 35

It gave me a predicted time for 10 k of 55 mins 45 seconds (wooh) and a HM time of

2 hrs 3 mins 50 secs, which is better than asics has predicted for me

I was bamboozled by the millions of stats. Crikey!

• That is strange. I put in 32 mins for 5k and it came back with 4.51 -5,28/km pace for easy runs, which is surely not right

• ah, sussed out where I went wrong. I entered time for 5 miles, not 5k.... haha. Idiot.

Thanks for that link. ~Very useful. Will have a proper play around with it later on.

You may also like...