Getting back to it! Hurrah!

Having been ill with a chest infection and general lurgy I had not been able to run for nearly five weeks. For the last two I have been doing 30 min sessions 3 times a week on the cross trainer - based on the fact that if I became unwell or had a coughing fit I was in the spare bedroom not on a country lane. But I had lost my confidence too about managing to run.

However, after a bit of head gremlin fighting I got my shoes on this morning and actually managed 28 mins (I had been doing week 8 for several weeks due to injury etc before being ill and wasn't sure I would manage it but decided if I aimed for where I had last been I could always do less if I couldn't manage) BUT I did manage it!!! Can't believe it! I added a wee hill which was almost too much so I think on Wednesday I will do a flatter route.

I really want to do week 9 next week. Realising that really all that is stopping me is me and the gremlins in my head - sometimes they take some fighting.

Thanks for all your posts on here as they kept me from giving up entirely.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You must be delighted :D I'd be really proud of that after such a break, you will definitely have helped yourself by keeping up the cardio at home before you could get back out running.

I'm sure you can take on week 9 now, two more minutes is nothing compared to how far you've come :) Good luck and let us know how you go on.

• Thanks em - I was totally surprised - and it was hot too! Think I'll do week 8 this week and head for week 9 next. I like to plan! Thanks for the encouragement.

You may also like...