5 Minutes?? Poof!

Hmm -- well it was with trepidation that I faced the first morning of Week 4 .

My first 5 minutes of running -continual, uninterrupted, unbroken, constant, ceaseless, incessant,steady, sustained, solid, continuing, ongoing, unceasing, without a break, permanent, non-stop, round-the-clock, persistent, unremitting,relentless, unrelenting, unabating, unrelieved, without respite, endless,unending, never-ending, perpetual, without end, everlasting, eternal,interminable;

But it turned out to be quite uneventful. Actually I lost track of the time - because I was concentrating on my "rythmic breathing" techniques and temporarily forgot all about the running/moving legs side of things. Hmm -- maybe that's the secret to all this???

For example, I "think" I may have discovered that longer exhales work better for me that the usual longer inhales. ie 2:3, instead of 3:2 beats. I used to ( in a long past life) be in the Submarine Service - and to get into that Service , the medical required that you past an "exhalation test" - as it is VERY important for Submariners to be able to exhale as much air out of their lungs as possible in a certain emergency situation (like an emergency escape). BUT I was very borderline on this test - as it seems that my ability to exhale is less than the average. So, I feel more exploration/experimentation of this matter is required for me.

Last edited by
Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yey! well done.

that 5 mins is a really nice surprise isn't it, miraculously, easier than you ever expected!

I am the same on the breathing and find the longer exhale works well......

not sure about the rights/wrongs of this, but i just repeated the 20 min run and no stitches.

• I must be doing something right - because when I have run when I was younger, I ALWAYS got stitches. I have not had one stitch now since I took up this running at my "advanced" age 3 months ago. I think it is because I am taking it quite easy. Confucius say : " What does man do with 1/100th of second saved in 100 metre sprint??

• i'm impressed with that list of words describing the long 1st 5 min stretch!! Well done on your progress, i keep forgetting to get into a set breathing pattern, but it would help me a lot, i will have to practice more!Good luck for the rest of the week....

You may also like...