gels

gels

anybody trying gels when on long runs i hate taking loads of crap with me less is more and all that its me the ipod one gel and a couple of sweets water tends to make me feel sick ,also i reading various things for half m training i plan to scale down my runs on the last week i was thinking doing 2 10k runs and one 5k ,trying interval training this week which should be fun thoughts on gels please happy running all

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • On my first HM I only took 3 or 4 Haribo jelly sweets, which I'd used in training runs, but struggled with these on the HM itself. I think the problem was I didn't drink enough water at the water stations. This HM was in November, on a morning when it was about 3°C, but the previous night was below freezing. I think the water had been sitting in someone's car overnight and when it was offered to us it was so very cold that I could only drink a few mouthfuls before it started giving me a headache. So I gulped my few mouthfuls then stuck one sweet in my mouth at each of the three water stations, but the sweets took so long to dissolve that they were distracting. I was tempted to spit them out, but didn't, as I knew I'd need some energy.

When I participated in a duathlon last month one of the freebies was a couple of High Five energy gels. I tried one last week on my long run (took water in my 2l Camelback) and it was fine. So that is what I used at my duathlon on Saturday. After about 50 mins run I swallowed the one energy gel with a couple of gulps of water - while transitioning to my bike - and that did me for the whole 2hrs 40 mins.

I've previously tried the Cliff Shot Bloks when offered them as freebie tasters at race events, but haven't used them in training so don't know how my stomach will react to them when running. I think I may stick to the High5 gel and sweets at my HM in March.

(Blog about my recent duathlon: swanscot.wordpress.com/2014... )

• thanks i will check them out ive been trying sis gels

• I tried SiS gels on Saturday. Training for HM and run was 11.5 miles (2.5 hours..only started c25k in October!!) stopped and had one after 50 minutes (tropical flavour) felt a bit sick but I think mostly in my head. Had 2nd one ( black currant) slowly while still running at about 9 miles. Went down much more easily and gave me the energy for sprint finish lol!!

You may also like...