Hip really hurts - any advice on how long to wait before trying to run again??

I graduated in November and since then have kept to the 3 runs a week, generally managing up to 4.5 km. I've not had any injuries whilst doing this programme - until last weekend when my left hip really started hurting towards the end. It felt OK the next day but I gave it a bit of a rest and didn't go out again until Wednesday. Did my usual 5 min warm up and was OK for 1 km but then had searing pain in left hip and had to immediately stop. Limped slowly home and was in agony for next 36 hours. Has now eased a lot but isn't yet 'better' so am wondering how long I should wait until I try another run?? I really enjoy the running and am really missing it already.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • You should probably see your GP. It could be hip flexors but then it could be many other things. Running shouldn't be painful to that degree. I empathise with you, if I have had cause to miss going out I miss it more than anything. Good luck with it and I hope you get it sorted soon so you can get out there again :-)

• Absolutely you need to see your GP and then maybe a physiotherapist - perhaps a sport therapist. Good luck! I have hurt my knees and so I too am feeling pissed off.

You may also like...