Returning to running after injury

Well I have just completed my first run after 12 weeks off due to a broken elbow. I read on here that you should try to aim for a third of what you used to do to start so I aimed for a 1.5k run.

I wasn't looking forward to it as I haven't run in the dark alone before so wasn't sure what to expect.

I set off and after 7 mins I could hardly breathe, although my legs felt fine. I decided to try and push through it but had to walk for 30 secs up the hill. Slightly disappointed but hey I kept going.

I completed the 1.6k in 10 mins and felt great afterwards. I found that running in the dark was offset by being able to see all the Christmas lights everywhere,

Glad to be back at it

1 Reply

• I'm in a similar situation due to a poorly foot, and did my 'first' run yesterday morning, but I tried to do the same distance as I used to - 5.9k...!!! Oooopppssss, what a mistake! My legs aches, my knees were cold (silly of me; I was wearing shorts) and I had to resort to walking, and I have learnt my lesson.

Back out tomorrow and I shall be wearing long legs and running a shorter distance.

You may also like...