Does anyone have any advice for training for a half marathon?

Just a brief description of where I'm at, I have completed C25K twice now. I have never reached 5k yet though! I have been running 2 miles regularly for a few months now but I want something to aim towards and a target to reach. Whilst I was out on Sunday I discovered a half marathon right on my doorstep. Watching them all come by really upped my motivation. I mentioned this to my fellow runner and she said we should go for it next year. So I have 12 months, but does anyone have a plan or advice to follow?

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I would find a 10k race in about 6 months and aim for that as an interim target, then carry on with your training for the HM afterwards. It may seem a bit daunting having 21km as your target when you still haven't reached 1/4 of that, but 10k is a realistic target for right now. Then when you are there, all you have to do is double it. It's much easier to reach a target if you break the preparation up into bite size pieces.

• I absolutely agree with Namour. I have done quite a few 10ks now, but the thought of a half marathon is as daunting (to me anyway) as 5k was at the beginning of C25k. Others get to a point where they can run for ever - I just want to find an excuse to wimp out after about 40 minutes...

• Hi, I completed c25k last October in time to do the Halloween spooky sprint (5k) I then continued using the wk 9 runs, a bit of the b210k but mostly just using my own music & gradually upping my distance until I did 10k in march - which was something of a shock as my friend took me out for a "long run" but I had no idea beforehand it'd be that long! Last month I completed the Robin Hood half marathon. It was hard going but totally achievable for you in a year. I followed a pretty standard 12 wk training plan & did my long runs on a sun morning (same time as the actual half marathon). U'll soon get into it.

Good luck, it's an amazing feeling when you finish :0)

• Hi, i went on the BUPA site and they offer great programmes for 10 k and Half Marathon training,as well as training tips, hydration/nutriton. Im only on wk 5 of C25K at present but will aspire to a Half Marathon.Hope this helps :-)

You may also like...