Something A Bit Different

As part of my 3 month Beat My Boss challenge, I've been trying to get back to running for 30 minutes. I'm pleased to say that I did a 30 minute run last Friday but I think I have to do a few more over the next couple of weeks before I can call myself a proper runner again (still aiming to do that darned 5k too).

I did a 20 minute run on Sunday and was planning on doing a 30 minute run this morning but I wasn't really up for it. It took me a while to get out of bed and I just felt really unmotivated. I ran for 5 minutes then I just gave up. Intially I thought I'd just stop and try again tomorrow but then I thought "why don't I try some intervals?". I've been toying with the HIIT idea for a while but had decided to wait until I was back in that 30 minute groove before starting something new. But this morning just seemed like a good time to give it a try. I usually run at 4.6mph (sometimes doing 4.8mph when I'm on the last 5 minutes) but for the interval I ran for 2 minutes at 5.0mph. I then slowed to 3.6mph for the rest section and then went back up to 5.0mph for another 2 minute run. I did 5 intervals of 2 minute runs, varying my speed from 5.0mph to 5.5mph. During the final 2 minute interval, I did the last 45 seconds at 6.0mph! - I've never run so fast! My little legs were like a blur (not really but that's what it felt like!).

So in total I ran for 15 minutes and I have to say that a) the time just flew by and b) I really enjoyed it! I feel a routine mix up coming on! Maybe a 30 minute run twice a week with the third run as intervals.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

oldestnewest

You may also like...