What a difference a rest and a slow start makes!

This week I have been onto week 8 of the programme and I was feeling quite nervous about it for a couple of reasons. Firstly week 7 was a lot harder than I expected. Having already got onto a long run at the end of the previous weeks, I think I expected to see an immediate improvement, and perhaps pushed myself too much and then really struggled because of it. Then I was away for work for three days at the start of the week when there was just no time to run, giving a big break to my schedule. It was really hard to find the motivation to go out again when I was back home but I pushed myself out the door and decided to go really slow to begin with for week 8 run 1, fully expecting not to make it.

So imagine my surprise when I found myself getting into a steady rhythm and really enjoying it, getting around relatively easily and even speeding up quite considerably at then end. Then today I did run 2 of the week, again starting slowly having learnt from last time, and again had such a great run that I continued on after the end and managed to do a full hour! I am absolutely thrilled at this and never thought this would ever be possible without considerable walking breaks in-between, let alone so soon!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Well done!! I bet you are seriously proud of yourself and rightly so :)

• Fantastic! Well done :)

• Great job !! I am going to do day one of week 8 today! Always feel a bit nervous before I run and then surprise myself that I was able to do it !! ;^}

• Thank you for this post. I read it while I was drinking my cup of tea this morning before I went out for w9r2. I was feeling a bit the worst for wear but determined I was going to get out there. So I decided I would just take it really steady and make sure I was enjoying it and I was making a slow start. It was brilliant, I enjoyed it more than I expected and I even increased my pace for the last 10 mins. Thanks for sensible advice at just the moment of need!

Well done!

You may also like...