Pain in both legs during the run and the day after

I have been struggling since wk one with pain on the inside of my lower legs, I looked this up and it seems to be shinsplints. I found exercises on youtube for shinsplints that have been helping me over the past few weeks, but I ran wk 3 r 2 today it was very painful during the run, I carried on until the end, when i finished my run the pain was very bad and my legs were swollen and it felt like a pocket of fluid at the back of my ankles. I did my exercises and took anti inflammatory tablets an hour later I had no pain. I haven't had pain since but going by past experiences my legs will be very sore tomorrow. A few times I have had to postpone my run a day or two to help recover but it doesn't seem to help. I don't know if i should work through the pain or rest i really don't want to give up running.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Personally I wouldn't run on extremely sore legs.

Have u got decent trainers? Had gait analysed?

If u over pronate it might be worth lookin at some insoles too.

Ice your shins after a run and get some heat gel or similar and massage your shins. Get the blood flowing there to aid recovery

• Thank you tiger79 I've been looking for insoles for my trainers which I bought after wk one. Will try the ice & heat gel that sounds like good advice. I have no pain today and am looking forward to my run tomorrow.

You may also like...