1 run left - three thoughts: weight loss, difficult runs and distance mapping

Only just got round to writing but I have been lurking and encouraged by everyone else for a long time.

So, nearly at the end and I have learned three things:

Weight loss: I wanted to lose 2 pounds, and actually gained three in the early weeks. I was reassured by lots of posts about retaining water when you first start running. Well I think it is true. In week 7 I lost 3 pound, and last week I lost two. So it has taken 8 weeks to lose just 2 pounds in real terms, but it did happen!

Difficult runs: I've have had three really hard runs in a row where after 10 minutes I wanted to quit and my legs were like lead. I have kept going and on Wk9 r2 I have completed 5k in 29 mins 20 seconds. I can't believe it and would encourage everyone to keep going even when it's tough!

Distance mapping: I have been using Runkeeper which I like but I am not sure how accurate it is in my area. Today it said I ran 8 miles in 29 minutes - clearly not true! So I used mapometer's website to map the exact route I took. I have been running the same route for weeks and Runkeeper is normally tracking it too short. So I would definitely recommend mapometer to plan a 5k and route and then run it.

Ahh, hark at me the expert! Just noticed that these things keep coming up on threads and it's nice to have some answers :)

Thanks to all the other bloggers for keeping me going

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldest โ€ข newest
  • Just had a look at Mapometer, that's great, just what you need on the longer runs to stop you from 'running out of road'. And accurate too. :-)

• I was told not to worry about weight per se but to measure your arms, waist, thighs and hips, then measure again a few weeks later. you're turning fat to muscle which actually weighs more, but you shrink whilst doing it. Eventually the weight loss comes too but what you really need is a boost to the self esteem, not to worry too much about the pounds. I lost 2 dress sizes without losing any weight at all.

Also useful is sportstracker app and mapmyrun.com

Good luck and here's to graduation!

You may also like...