Still running - 6 weeks on!

This is where the program -really- works. I graduated in the first week of April, and I've run 2 or 3 times a week since then!

Anyway, I thought I'd put down my experiences with the 5k+ podcasts and what I've been doing, as I know when I was coming up to graduation and just after, I read a lot of blogs to see what other people did.

The first podcast I tried was Stepping Stone, but I only did it once. I liked the idea of running to a beat, but my pace was quite a bit faster than the one with the music (I'm not super fast, but my legs are short :P) and whenever I tried to correct myself I just fell over. So I put that one to rest!

Speed, however, is great. Again, the pace is a bit off for me, but the idea of running fast for a minute, then recovering, and then repeating, I like. The pace is slow at the start, but by the later intervals it's really pushing me! Or, if I'm feeling energetic, I just use Laura's guidance for when to start and stop and put in my own versions of 'fast' and 'slow'. This is tricky. So I've been doing that about once a week.

I tried Stamina as well. Running to a beat was (again!) difficult, but I liked the podcast! Not as much as Speed, but I might do it again occasionally.

For a longer weekend run I've been starting the Bridge to 10k podcasts. I really like them! Even though it's difficult to hear the guy say when to run and walk. You're meant to do them 3x a week, like C25k, but I'm in no rush to hit 10k and I think that might be a bit much for me at the moment, so once a week for now.

So my schedule has been, per week, a Speed session, a 5k run (sometimes without music, sometimes with mine) and one of the Bridge to 10k podcasts. And my 5k runs are getting faster - I broke the 29 minute mark this week and am ridiculously proud! :D

Anyway, that's what I've been up to. I've still been reading everyone's blogs, and picking up tips. So thanks for writing them! I can't believe I'm still running, and even enjoying it!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • as Queen sang, 'Don't stop me now' :-) I have been doing a B210K which is back to stop start - this week 15 minutes running 1 minute walking x 3. strange doing stop start again though.

Good time for the 5k and I guess you will get quicker.

Glad you are still enjoying it.

• Funny, that song is part of my running playlist :)

You may also like...