10k Done!!

Today I did my second 10k run... the first one I did with my sister but for this one I was running solo. I was aiming at around 1 hr, we set off and for the first 2k I felt like I was going really slowly as loads of people were coming past me, I felt like the slowest person there but then by about 3k I started going past the odd person, others were still coming past me but I was going past people too. I didn't spot the distance markers until I was 4k in and was pleasantly surprised to find that I was on target for the 1 hour. I had been warded that there was a nasty hill at around 8k but settled in and was comfortable for a couple more km. Then came a hill. It was somewhere around the 7k mark. It was quite steep but not too bad and I thought 'That's it, the worst is over!' but how wrong I was!! Just as my legs were starting to feel rather tired I hit the killer hill. It just went on forever. I ended up walking a bit and feeling rather disappointed with myself but after I recovered from the hill I felt ok again. The last 1k was tough as I could see the finish line for most of it and it seemed to take forever to get to it. My music ran out (long story - going to do a separate post re- apps and music soon) just before the end but I managed to pick up my pace a little and finnish strong like Laura says! I am still waiting for my official time but I think I came in at around 58 mins. I'm feeling very proud of my self. It was tough going with that killer hill at the 8k mark (I did walk a little) but I got there. Hooray!

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sounds like you did great! Don't worry about walking on the hill, they can really get your heart rate racing and I'm sure you weren't in the minority! I ran a 5k with a friend that had a steep hill to go up, I ran up it at a snails pace and she ran/walked the whole way, but we both got to the top in the same time so really what is the difference!

• Good for you, ktaylor! Great time there and it sounds like you enjoyed the run.

You may also like...