COPD Friends
2,307 members763 posts

My Brother Has COPD

My brother has COPD. He is 74. My Mom died from COPD in 2009. She had it for 9 years. I am very worried about my brother. He is still working part-time. He uses a nebulizer and inhalers. He coughs a lot. I saw him on January 4, 2019. He is not on oxygen yet,

12 Replies
oldestnewest

He can live a fairly long life if he takes care of himself, and from what you wrote it sounds like he is. What stage is he? Is he aware of any "triggers" he may have? With me it's any strong perfume, cigarette smoke, the smell of bleach, burning wood, car exhaust.

Maybe the inhalers are not doing their job? If he has not already done so, he should speak to his pulmonologist about the coughing. They may be able to try a different inhaler.

Thanks for sharing. I will tell him.

He said mucus builds up and it makes him cough.

That could be the COPD, it could also be a sinus problem, or chest cold. I also kind of depends on exactly what kind of COPD he has. I have "mild" emphysema and the only time coughing and congestion become a problem is when my sinuses start draining, or if I have a cold. My husband on the other hand has bronchiectasis, he has quite a bit of congestion and the cough to go with it.

I suggest he speak with his doctor, make sure that they are at least aware of whats going on.

Please keep in touch, let me know how he is doing.

1 like

Thanks for the information. I will keep in touch.

Good luck with you COPD. Take care of yourself.

1 like

Just because someone is on oxygen it doesn't mean that their lung disease is worse than someone who doesn't have it, They may have a very high FEV1 number, but their DLCO is off....so the oxygen associated with bad isn't really valid. Oxygen, also saves hearts, kidneys and brain function all organs.

Take care!

Meg

2 likes

Thanks for the information.

The good art is he is working as its the best thing for copd that and not smoking, i have stage 4 emphysema and on oxygen this started in 2002 so it's taken 18 years from stopping working till now, it's not easy but I get about so best of luck to him and yourself, sorry 8 only went on oxygen two years ago after I got pneumonia

1 like

Thanks for sharing.

Does he have a pulmonologist? Has he had lung function tests? If he needs to be on oxygen and isn't he could be damaging cells in his body including his brain. Very important to have oxygen if you need it!

1 like

He has had tests. He is ok right now.

You may also like...