COPD Friends
2,170 members705 posts

Breathing issue

I've been on xanax for 25+ years for anxiety. I was taking .25 to .50 as needed only. But 5 years ago I starting taking more as needed but same dosage. 3 years ago I started feeling mild withdrawals and random nausea was the first, of many symptoms to come after. I've notice 3 years ago the drug wore off quicker and wasn't working as before. I refuse to increase my mg. dosage. When ever i take my pills, 2 to 5 days later my withdrawals would peak. I'm realizing that as much as I try to ween myself off xanax it very hard. Its been close to 2 years I've been trying. Less than 40 days is the longest I've stayed off, and my withdrawals gets the best of me, as much as I hate it I have take it just to make through my day especially when I'm at work. My worst withdrawal symptom is when I'm doing upper body physical work indoors, which is mild. I start to get breathlessness. If I push through I make myself worst and I'll pass out and totally grasping for air so I have to stop, lay down and rest for a good 10 to 30 min. As calm myself down. This sucks. I strongly feel xanax is the root cause of my breathing issues and all my many other withdrawal symptoms. This SUCKS!!! #JUSTSURVIVINGMYDAYS...

13 Replies
oldestnewest

I take 2 .50 every day if I go 10 hrs. I get shaky and out of breath I’m sure it’s because the Xanax is so addictive but I’m shocked that you can go 40 days! I don’t think I’m going to try to withdraw . Taking them 28 yrs I’m 68 and have copd

I'm sorry to hear about your copd. When were you diognosed with copd and what was your cause of getting it. I'm 47 non smoker, no asthma, not overweight, non drinker. I'm afraid if I continue taking xanax, it will permanently give me breathing issues. My breathing issues are so inconsistent. I have good normal days and not so good days, plus dealing with anxiety daily.

I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago . I smoked all of my life ! I can’t imagine that withdrawal from Xanax would cause same problems! I don’t think that it is giving you breathing problems. I would imagine it is anxiety which I have had since I was 40

1 like

Yes try Downloading apps for meditation like Calm and Heady

I was taking Xanax and was switched over to Klonopin. They do pretty much the same thing, but Klonopin is longer lasting. God bless.

David

i want to suggest meditation. i have been doing it for over 40 years. it saved me from dying of alcoholism.some try it and think it is not working but they haven't given it a real try or have had no training in it. for those who are sincere about it,it works wonders

1 like

Yes, I'm a strong believer using meditation to calm myself down and positive self affirmation to distract my mind when I'm in a full blown anxiety attack. It's been several years I'm doing this, I self thought myself finding which method works good for me thanks to youtube.

2 likes

My best friend of 53 yrs, was on Xanax for 30 yrs. She was prescribed 90 a month to take 3X a day. I watched her slowly go down hill to the point where she could not live without them or she would shake uncontrollably. Her Dr. trying to get her to go down to 60 a month 2X a day because she started having terrible breathing problems. She ended up ith COPD so bad she had to have a oxygen tank. We lost her on May 3rd. She was 59 yrs. young died alone in her apt. in her sleep with her oxygen tank still running. She was down to 70 lbs. The Drs. that prescribe these pills don't realize they are killing their patients. Or maybe they do.

I'm sorry about your best friend. Yes this xanax is a very bad drug. I'm trying to ween myself off this drug and it's very hard at the same im trying live my life. It's a struggle everyday. I've notice that the 30+ days I was off the xanax some of my withdrawal symptoms subsided. Dizzy, off balance feeling, random nausea, gagging, lesser pain, eye strain, bewildered reality feelings. I know it will take me years for my brain and body get better. I'm afraid some symptoms won't ago away. Did your friend develope copd from the xanax or something eles.

She had been a smoker also but the Dr. told her that the Xanax slowed her breathing down as it does all parts of the body. I'm sure her past smoking was a contributer also. I just weaned myself of off fluoxetine 30 yrs. off and on. It's very hard. Luckily I'm in a position where I don't have to work now I have retired but I could not do it when I was working. I pretty much have to stay away from people and be by myself because I become super mean one moment and crying the next. I wish the Drs. would let us know of these withdrawal issues in advance. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can evidentially live free of the crutch.

I take Zoloft for anxiety and depression. Years ago I took pristiq and trazadone. I hated them took myself off it after 2 or 3 years. Zoloft I find takes that edge off

Hi, does the zoloft have any side affects? I'm dealing with some depression too for about 2 years. And my anxiety is at it peak right now.

I get headaches but that’s probably from copd

You may also like...