ANYONE ELSE GETTING THE CRAZY "GOTTA EAT" FEELING?

Not all the time, but once or twice a week I get a crazy almost overwhelming need to eat. As if I am craving something, my body needs something, but I don't know what it is....it makes no difference what or how much I eat....

I actually never cared much for cooking or eating previously. I am about 10 pounds (5 KG) overweight I but I am not adding or losing weight.

Just sometimes, it is like a need...not a craving for anything specific (I am not eating dirt or anything) just a craving, like my body is missing something....and I feel feel like I have to eat and eat....make some soup...nope...eat some crackers...nope...eat some ice cream...nope....eat some candy....nope.....I have to force myself not to eat after I start worrying I might explode and leave guts and food all over the wall.

Scott

Maine, US worried about exploding

32 Replies
oldestnewest

Drink a large glass of water and then make yourself a healthy snack and drink a large glass of water with it. Eat slowly and give your brain time to adjust to the fact that you are full. Food cravings hit both healthy and non healthy all the time.

5 likes

Water and a healthy snack? That is what I would of done before I got Leukemia.....hell, I see leukemia as free pass to eat out of a bag or can...I mean what...the chemicals and preservatives gonna give me cancer or something?

Scott

Maine, US Not worried about getting cancer from the chemicals and crap the world uses to continue unsustainable agricultural practices

4 likes

Trouble is Scott, that logic is like saying the bus has already hit you so you might as well loiter in the road at will!

If anything, we need to try and keep ourselves as healthy as possible once we have CLL. A two headed beast is harder to tame and having diabetes (as I do), as well as CLL, the task is so much harder.

Have the odd treat because we need them but make conscious decisions to keep your body as healthy as possible for treatment and beyond. Our liver, heart, kidneys and bones will have enough to do without trying to filter out sugary, carb ridden crud! 😜

Best wishes,

Newdawn

9 likes

NewDawn,

Yeah, I know you are totally right....but I would be playing in traffic after the bus hit me.... Just who I am :))))

Scott

1 like

I think I am the opposite to you Scott. Since my diagnosis I have been determined to only put in my body the best food and drink. You are what you eat! No carbonated drinks - why poison myself with carbon dioxide; organic veg to avoid pesticides; already vegetarian; do eat fish; no cakes or biscuits; no alcohol. Eat foods cooked from scratch no processed stuff and fast food. My only downfall is cheese which I LOVE.

Ok, I have taken it to the extreme. BUT I have changed my habits and all the things that others might think they could never give up, I no longer crave. In fact, some make me feel sick to look at - fatty, creamy cakes for example!

Hope you conquer your cravings!

Holly

1 like

Holly, there was a time I agreed with you...but it didn't save me from Leukemia did it? Everyone else eating crap all day are fine...me, I tried to eat better (not always successful, but more than most) and oh, Hey...Scott, You got Leukemia...just a blood cancer, no worries...

Screw it. I decided when they told me I am going to go have fun...if I get a single day or 20 years I am going to enjoy every single one of them...and that means eating a Reece Big Cup before bed....and drinking caffeine soda again (gave soda up 20 years ago) and Popcorn when I watch a movie..

I wasted too much time already following the "rules" I had no part in creating and being not me...

Scott Maine, US

Not Worried About Being Scott

1 like

Ah but Scott, to me, a lovely bit of roasted butternut squash is tasty and fun! I don't want to add diabetes, stroke, heart disease etc. to my CLL thank you very much!

If only I had some immunity I could really go out and enjoy life instead of having to avoid crowds etc. Don't want to get bedridden with a stroke as well.

Lots of ways of looking at things. Holly

2 likes

Holly, right, i Get What you are saying...but how do you KNOW those things you are doing will keep you from getting a stroke? Cause some guy in a white lab coat said so? Screw the vast majority of those idiots...I am pretty sure they tell us BS so they keep all the fun for themselves :)))

Since I been on my new diet (last April) my cholesterol is way down (low average) I feel slightly better...and you know what I laugh my ass off all day long....way better than moping about what I can or can not eat, careful what I say so people don't think I am a nut....

I LIKE who I am...so I am going to be me until someone explains WHY we have to believe the lab coat morons...I no longer believe much of anything I am told by "experts"

Scott

Worried about laughing so hard it might cause a stroke

1 like

Hey Scott, I also don't give a toss what the twits in white coats say, I use my own common sense and intuition. I am happy doing what I do. I love seeing veg of all different colours on my plate, cooked just to the right point of still being a bit crunchy! Lovely. Had some lovely sprouts today that I stir fried with mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes, black beans, a bit of curry seasoning - delicious!!!

But you are right, I have no idea whether what I am doing is the right thing. I have already had two types of cancer although both diagnosed before my eating habits changed.

Hope you satisfy your cravings soon!!! Holly

1 like

Holly, I guess it comes down to one thing...how do I want to spend my days...being me or being not me....I'd rather spend time being me. If you are spending your time being Holly...then that is absolutely the best...... Holly is not Scott and Scott is not Holly....so what works for one...might not work so great for the other.

Scott Maine, US

Not being Holly (but thinks Holly is a very pretty name)

1 like

You are funny! Hope you sort your cravings out and continue enjoy being Scott! Holly

2 likes

I am wondering, Scott, if this might be attributed more to anxiety or what is called " emotional eating " than for the actual need for nutrients. It's difficult sometimes to feel our feelings, so we eat to push them down. However, I might be totally off the mark here, so take the suggestion as you wish.

All the best,

Sandy Beaches

2 likes

I don't think so Sandy-B...it guess anything is possible...but like I have said a million times...Leukemia to me is like a shark bit my arm off...crappy fact....but still a fact...no amount of whining or worry will change it. I mean we all go out the same door at the end....that I have an expiration date is just maybe a little more clear than most others...but it is still in the who knows when....tomorrow, 20 years...so the Leukemia does not cause me a great deal of worry....I been working on a project the last few months..about 18 hours a day...and the fatigue I feel from the Leukemia is definitely a problem for today...but no one really seems to have answers about that either...

Scott Maine, US

Playing in Traffic

1 like

Agree. I think it is anxiety.

Do I have to feed Anxiety twice a day and share my morning coffee with Anxiety like my cat KooKooNut? I hope anxiety doesn't bite my toes at 4am...

Scott, Maine/US

Worried about another pet in the hose

1 like

You're so funny, I get that feeling for chocolate. Lol

2 likes

:))))

1 like

I get a "have to eat" from time to time. I start getting shaky, too. Predates CLL. I've always assumed it's a blood sugar thing.

Virginia

I am with you Scott. We all have to do what is right for ourselves. We have this disease whether we ate right or not. Did the diet sodas or eating bacon cause my CLL? Possibly, but I don't have diabetes or high cholesterol. I know people who watch every bite that goes in their mouths and they still have a heart attack, sometimes while on the treadmill!!! A friend who is one year cancer free after breast cancer treatment, just yesterday told me she emptied out her cubbards of everything that was anything was processed and now eats nothing but home prepared natural foods. Will this keep her cancer from returning or is the anti cancer meds she takes on a daily basis that will keep her cancer free (if she dies remain cancer free). My husband would walk out on me if I threw out his Chips Ahoy and Ding Dongs. My hat is off to anyone who has the time and energy to eat in this clean manner. I know this goes against the grain of a lot of people on this site, however, I already have cancer. A better diet might or might not slow down the progression of the disease, but at this point I don't really care. I am going to enjoy life. I try to eat healthy foods for the most part. I have given up the diet sodas and artificial sweeteners. I now have a real coke occasionally, and pretty much eat what I want, in moderation. I have found moderation to be the key.

Scott, keep looking for what you are craving, try to get it narrowed down, sweet, salty, crunchy, smooth, sweet and salty? Live your life the way you feel is best for you. Good luck!

2 likes

I am pretty sure the Alien Shape Shifting Reptile Aliens who control the world are causing all of it :)))))) Ha, if I could pick one conspiracy theory to be true it would be that one....it is so great :)))

Scott

Checking for Shape Shifting Super Powers

Life is about FREE WILL. Yes it's not very scientific or logical to dismiss that taking in crappy food will harm our bodies, whether we have CLL or not. And yes,by eating healthier food choices,you stand at least a chance of maintaining a stronger immune system than you would by eating poorly. But hey, I knew a guy who had late stage lung cancer and still smoked. But at least Scott,you are not pontificating! You are saying that it makes you happy to eat the way you want to eat . Who can argue with that?

2 likes

I absolutely do not dismiss the cause and effect of eat crappy food....eat crappy get crappy results...I BELIEVE even the vegetarians and organic eaters...unless they are growing, harvesting and storing their own food are getting plenty of chemicals in their bodies...just cause it says "organic" does not mean it does not have chemicals, preservatives and other crap.

Agriculture today uses unsustainable practices and we suffer as a result...of that I am certain. But that is the way it is...and I doubt if you compared 1000 "super healthy eaters" against 1000 "average eaters" against 1000 "crappy eaters" there would be any difference in the number of people with cancer between the groups.

I think we are ALL screwed by the all mighty quest for the dollar...

Scott

counting pennies

I have the exact opposite approach than yours and I eat a very delicious and nutritious macrobiotic diet. Everything I eat is organic, either home grown or bought from reliable sources. I feel better than I have ever felt in my life time,mostly because I have totally gotten rid of all kinds of lifelong maladies that I am sure weakened my body and lowered my immune system's ability to function at top performance. I still have CLL ,though! I dropped 45 lbs. My complex karyotype scares the crap out of me...but my CLL is behaving indolently and I can work 60 hours a week and still jog 3 miles 5x a week at age 64. I have a different outlook than you do. But so what? I know two OLDER gents who smoke like chimneys and their idea of eating healthy food is eating a pastrami sandwich, 3x a week, with a DR. Pepper. LOL I know a whole bunch of people who have cured all kinds of horrible disease using nutrition as the basis of their healing. Everything from heart failure,to certain types of cancer(NOT CLL however) high blood pressure,high cholesterol,Acid Reflux and the list goes on and on. I agree that you would have to make considerable efforts to avoid poorly grown or nurtured animal foods. But it is doable. I hope that both you and i are continuing this discussion for at least another 30 years. Lets check in with each other,then. Maybe neither of us will be able to say,"I told you so! "

Right, but you miss the bigger picture...big money has been dumping toxins, chemicals, and anything they want into our water. The water goes into the land or gets evaporated with the crap and carried all over the Earth..... There is no such thing any more as "organic" unless not only are you growing it...but also have your own reverse osmosis water purification system, converting sea water to fresh water AND purified soil AND where you are growing is covered, sealed and has an air filtration system...best anywhere money can buy.......and while that might help getting rid of crap in the water, air, dirt......even that is still not perfect.

Fish have extremely high levels of chemicals and crap in them now. Both fresh water and salt water....why do you think the plants on the land are any different....it is in our water, our soil, the very air we breathe.....

Eating healthy, big thumbs up....but that is like saying picking up a mountain.......it simply can not be done...we can wreck the mountain and cart it off...but you can not pick it up.

Scott

Getting Heebie Jeebied about chemicals in the air, water and dirt....

I don't feel that I am missing the big picture at all. Your attitude is that you feel ,who cares nothing makes a difference?? So eat whatever you eat and that's that. Mine is every step taken towards being healthier pays dividends. I don't expect that they'll be the perfect food sources every time someone eats organically,but I do expect that those companies that are being monitored by the USDA will at least take at least some real precautions to use the best water that they can possibly use, due to the filtration systems that are required to get organic certification. there's a process that is in place and they do get checked fr compliance. It's certainly not a perfect system. But it's a lot better than nothing. I applaud your desire to have whatever mindset you have about your health protocols or lack of them. I have seen real results both personally and with scores of other people who took a few extra precautions to eat a healthier diet. That said,all of us could say,"WELL WHY BOTHER WITH TAKING MEDS.... because they don't work perfectly. Lets not put any pollution devices in cars ,because they don't work perfectly. Lets not do anything that might for the most part improve the human condition,because nothing works perfectly. Personally,I think that if we seek perfection in every step that we take to better ourselves, we'll not find it very often. So some of us just do the best we can to the best of our ability and we are content to make some positive headway. That's where I stand.

1 like

Oh and those companies will use whatever water source is the absolute cheapest...not the best....they will never spend one dime more than they have too.

The FDA monitors pharmacy's a lot closer than food places.....but remember a couple years back, that compounding place that had all the standing water, mold, mildew in the clean rooms...bunch of people died from the various drugs they compounded? I do...so why should I expect the FDA to monitor food places which have a lower standard than pharmacies....

I have never understood this obsession with making every single penny possible...I mean what, these idiots killing us think they are taking a bag of cash with them when they die? This type of thinking is destructive and causes 90% of the suffering on the Earth. Everything is always about the money for 99.99999% of everyone. It is pathetic thinking and not much better than an animal....but that is the way it is.

Scott

Not worried about every penny

The USDA is about 80% understaffed, and checks meat by "smelling" it. I am not saying I feel like "who cares" I am saying I accept the problem is bigger than I can change so must live with it....and if I have to live with it I am not going to waste time "pretending" I am somehow making things better by spending hours and hours buying and preparing "organic" food that simply can no longer exist...that is just a comfortable lie. Most people don't want to know the uncomfortable truth, but I always prefer to know the truth...uncomfortable or not...but most people find it way way easier thinking everything is fine fine fine....when it is anything but.

Scot

But it isn't a lie and often organic food growers are limiting usage of harmful chemicals that may otherwise be used incultivating non-organic foods. Some people believe that's a benefit. Using your logic, my close friend who had a vitamin d value of 11 at diagnosis,wouldn't have listened to his doctor about supplementing with Vitamin D because that supplement might not be produced without fillers being used.(his capsule has at least one filler) Sure my friend goes out of his way to use the best source of vitamin D..but it's not perfect,yet his Vitamin D level went up to 55 in three years. Then another friend of mine uses Green tea supplements,because his spleen at diagnosis was very large. Granted the green tea that he is using has caused some of people who are on the same protocol to have some gastric troubles and they can't 100% authenticate the manner by which their supplements are developed or grown. But since a lot of people using the same supplement have raved about feeling better,he has some confidence in the product. Yet my friend has somehow managed to keep his spleen functioning and it has not shown any additional growth. So he may not of had the perfect outcome,but his actions resulted in increasing his health in a manner that met his expectations. Some organic foods, to some people, simply taste better and also may make them feel better. Most people aren't stupidly or blindly getting into striving to increase their health. They read and research and they take their best shot. They know not to have unrealistic expectations about perfection existing in any protocols. The truth is, that few medicines probably are without side effects. But some people still get great benefits even without the perfection. So we make the best decisions that we can about what to utilize in our quest to stay healthy,knowing full well that we have to weigh the benefits and the negatives along the way. I agree that life is full of imperfections. I just feel that we can all make smart choices,even when it comes to selecting imperfect regimens that might still enhance our health,even if it's to only a slight extent.

I don't think I am expressing myself clearly....your friend MIGHT be getting great supplements, my wife brings me 6 or 7 every morning with my coffee. I MIGHT be getting good one's...I paid for top quality.....BUT that requires me to BELIEVE whoever made them is not some cheap ass bastard who figured out he could save 5 cents per bottle if he switched top of the line whatever for lead based chemicals...cause you know...they do the same thing.

Yes, this is not a great view of the human race but it is true. When it comes to money humans are so disgusting....greedy pathetic and stupid.

Not to mention, look at the world today. We have a racist, misogynistic, 13 times bankrupt loser sitting in the white house and everything is fine fine fine....

We can all go back to judging people if they have a better or worse tan, if they pray to some imaginary god different than my imaginary god, and get them damn wimmin right back in the kitchen where they belong....shoes no longer required....and everything is fine fine fine.

People do not want to wake up, they want to believe everything they are told...they LIKE it..not they LOVE it when our dear leaders give us a new enemy, someone to hate....this is so obvious and pathetic....think about it...we have ALWAYS had some enemy or war...war on drugs, war on terror, war on the american people, and hey it is so dangerous let's materialize the police and let them shoot anyone and everyone...and they can get away with it cause who cares......and now our dear leaders want me to believe it is fine fine fine to hate anyone not exactly like me.....well sorry, I no longer buy the bullshit they are selling. I don't care what is between your legs, what imaginary god you pray to, or if you have a better or worse tan than I do. I only care about how you act and think today....I don't even care what mistakes you made yesterday and last year or ten years ago....just what you do today and tomorrow...

Wake up everything is NOT fine fine fine. No one has your best interests at heart...If I learned that before I was 50 my life would of been a lot better....

Scott

Not a big fan of the Human Race...we are losing that race.

And then there are some of us who have seen how other humans actually do care and we don't have a completely pessimistic view. I wish you well. I truly do.

2 likes

I spent the first 50 years of my life a giver in a world of takers...I got nothing left to give to anyone except my wife....

Scott

1 like

I now expect the worst from people...that make me not so disappointed every single day.....when I actually see a decent human being, well then my expectations are exceeded and then I can feel wonder

Scott

You may also like...