Cholesterol Support
8,037 members2,276 posts

Study raises questions about dietary fats and heart disease guidance

bmj.com/press-releases/2013...

11 Replies
oldestnewest

Calls into question some American guidance. omega-6 may not be the Messiah.

There is no Messiah. Omega 3s and Omega 6s just have to be in the correct ratio to each other.

Thank you for posting. To me the most important thing about this research is that it was based on "missing data" from a project carried out from 1966-1973.

I see that the BMJ is pressing for an "open data" campaign as they say that a lot of research from trials is never published.

I found the last line a bit chilling...

" This means that doctors cannot be certain that the drugs that they are prescribing daily are properly evaluated for safety and efficacy."

How does the omega-6 differ from that found in the soya products you advocate, please?

margarine is very bad for anyone no matter what they add to it it is the hydrogenation process that damages us.

Not all margarines are the same. Take care what you buy.

Yes, Dr Briffa is having a field day on this one! I still think the most important issue is the missing data not the margarine,

Even the BMJ is concerned.

I hope they are; it's yet another incidence of the evidence that underpins some treatment (including healthy eating advice) is flawed.

I was amused to see that the margarine was called Miracle (it didn't work many). The comments on Dr Briffas blog say that it also probably contained a lot of trans fats as well.

Colpo goes into a little more detail:

anthonycolpo.com/research-u...

You may also like...