Metabolic Syndrome - the cause of perpetual inflammation

Processed carbs lead to too much blood glucose- leads to overproduction of insulin - leads to insulin resistance (like having rusty locks on the body cell 'doors', insulin the 'key' finds it difficult to 'unlock' to let glucose in)- too much insulin leads to inflammation - perpetual inflammation is the cause of atherosclerosis.

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Too much processed food!!!! Let's get back to cooking!!!! I have experimented with cooking food with ingredients that are listed on the pre-prepared packs and one, it tasted awful, and two, the amount of salt and sugar was so high that I couldn't eat it!! In processed meals, etc., there are so many chemical additives to make them "tasty" and almost addictive that we are attracted to them for the ease of cooking and their pretty packaging ("healthy" "low in fat") etc., we are conned into thinking that we are doing ourselves a favour by buying them!!

We don't need to be Jamie Oliver, or Delia Smith, we just need to know how to cook a decent meal with fresh ingredients. Let's fight to getting "cooking" back on the school curriculum again and teach our youngsters to feed themselves. All I can see is that at the moment they are taught how to cook pizza and lasagne!!! What happened to meat and two veg???????

• Perpetual inflammation is one theory of heart disease that I have read about, but there are others, for example bacterial infection and according to Dr Malcolm Kendrick HPA -axis dysfunction. It just happens that the lipid hypothesis has taken hold in main stream medicine.

I am not in a position to say what is the right one and what is the wrong one, as I have said before..I am only the poor patient in the middle of all this.

I do however, keep an open mind and read as much as I can. The medical establishment wouldn't accept that stomach ulcers were caused by a bacteria for a long time either.

• You're right as usual Aliwally. The theories may all be interrelated; for instance metabolic syndrome causes hormone disruption that would impact on HPA-axis dysfunction.

• So all this leads to the purpose of this forum. Should we be worried about cholesterol at all? We don't measure white blood count / bacteria levels in the gut etc etc so should we really be measuring cholesterol and/or worrying about the level? Does cholesterol have a more prominent place in your guide to future health as, say, your Createne levels or your Gamma GT levels (just two examples of 'stuff' that you may find on a health report).

Has this fascination with cholesterol / lipid levels now run it's course. Is insulin / your blood sugar level the new cholesterol?

• I don't know....and I'm not always right!

• maybe of interest to you. Last month had cholereral bloods taken 9.30. fasted. after called in cafe had bacon egg beens tomatoes. large mug tea 2 sugars.no toast(coeliac) didnt have with me. Went to help in charity shop on till. Right. Came 2 pm went dizzy fuzzy for spell. I had a big enough meal to last that long, at 3pm we have tea break. This happens fairly often after normal cornflake break fast. Not obtained cholesteral results yet, havent known them for 7ish years. Taken but told i would be informed if neccessary. Statins dont agree with me.

• The dizzy fuzzy spell sounds like it may be reactive hypoglycaemia; you may be producing excessive insulin, especially in response to high glycaemic foods like cornflakes. Barry Groves PhD relates how he noticed this phenomenon from having cornflakes at the weekend, when most other days he had a cooked breakfast and was fine. He recommends a high fat/low carb diet that may seem a bit extreme. However, eating foods that cause less insulin demand may be beneficial.

You may also like...