Insulin, Not Cholesterol, Is the True ... - Cholesterol Support

Cholesterol Support
8,482 members β€’ 2,418 posts

Insulin, Not Cholesterol, Is the True Culprit in Heart Disease.

Dottie2011
Dottie2011
β€’18 Replies

'About 80 percent of the cholesterol in your body is made internally, primarily by your liver. The remaining 20 percent comes from your diet. If you consume less, your body will compensate by making more, and vice versa

By themselves, total cholesterol and LDL are virtually useless predictors for cardiovascular disease. However, elevated LDL may be a good marker for insulin resistance

Evidence suggests high total cholesterol and even high LDL are insignificant when trying to determine your heart disease risk. Your best predictor is your insulin sensitivity'

articles.mercola.com/sites/...

18 Replies
oldest β€’ newest
sandybrown

Thank you for this link, a lot to learn!

1 like
Hidden
Hidden

Definitely food for thought. We do not a lot of grains. we have a high fat, low carb diet and things have improved so much for my husband, he has lost over 20lbs in two years, dropped 18 inches off his waist and is nearly back to what he was when he left the Army. None of the weight gain was my doing, his ex wife and 10 years on his own. After reading the article my grandmother was not far off the mark. I switched him to eating my way. I have to admit, I miss my daily chocolate.

1 like
Paul12
Paul12
in reply to Hidden

Eat 90% coco chocolate - improves elasticity of the arteries

2 likes
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Paul12

Yes, I eat dark chocolate, but do miss milk chocolate. I use it in cooking, add it chilli con carne and make my own Cracker Candy using it. My one indulgence.

Markl60

And what drives insulin resistance, the high carb' diets we have been told to consume by the medical and nutrition authorities. let us also be clear, low carb does not mean Atkins nor does it mean lots and lots of meat. It simply means reducing or removing simple carb's and of course anything that spikes insulin. So no bread (can you believe that BHF is sponsored by Warburtons, sad isn't it), no cakes, no pastries witch from white rice to brown rice. When you have your sunday dinner load up on the veg and have a little less spuds. All processed foods have to go but remember, you are simply replacing one set of delicious food that is bad for you with another set of delicious food that is good for you.

3 likes
Dottie2011
Dottie2011
in reply to Markl60

Doesn't surprise me at Warburtons being sponsors of BHF, after all BHF is a business (Just like most of the other big 'charities'), which they would be out of if every one had healthy hearts!

2 likes
Floozie
Floozie
in reply to Markl60

No bread, no cakes, no pastries & less spuds = no pleasure in eating.

sandybrown
sandybrown
in reply to Floozie

You need to look for a balance! Once in a while, yes you can eat them. I am speaking from experience.

It can be achieved

1 like
Markl60
Markl60
in reply to Floozie

You replace one set of tasty food that causes premature death with another set of tasty food that causes improved longevity

teessidesitp

Please be very careful about posting articles on Mercolas websites and blogs. They have nothing to do with medical science and he routinely lies about "evidence". He is a dangerous conman. Go to NHS Choices or the British Heart Foundation who get up to date peer-reviewed medical science information. The whole area of the causes of heart disease is complicated enough without the likes of Mercola confusing everybody with his lies and scams. He makes millions out of the fears and confusion he himself generates.

Dottie2011

Funny, but you sound just like a industry paid shill lol. ;) I'm sure you're not though, I'm sure you're just a bit uninformed about the lies that the medical industry and so called 'charities' tell us, just to stay in business! So, apologies if I offend you with my remark, but to tell people that Dr. Mercola is a scammer is very wrong! Dr. Mercola is a well respected and researched 'alternative'/nutritional/functional medicine practitioner, who actually has the best interests of people at heart, unlike the industries I mentioned above!

Both the NHS and BHF websites are still giving out outdated information like saturated fat causes heart disease and that we should all be eating lots of whole grains instead, which is very bad advice and more likely to cause heart disease, than prevent it!

Insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

2 likes
sandybrown

NHS,BHF, Heart UK are all full of outdated information. What can we do?

We have to do our own research.

I do appreciate that there is a need for a sponsor to survive! bread or butter or a spread or oil or what ever?

1 like
Londinium

Thanks Dottie.

Dr Mercola, and other professionals of his kind, provide a great deal of excellent info and interviews. πŸ––πŸ»

1 like
sos007
sos007Ambassador

The causes of heart disease are still subject to further investigation and debate. The simplicity of identifying one cause over another appeals to the heuristic nature of humans' thinking process, but is not necessarily factual.

Dr. Mercola and other's like him provide some valuable insights, however they also suffer from one of the most common of psychological biases - 'confirmation bias' - they seek evidence that supports their pre-existing belief, or support their business model to promote their products.

Many people who write on this forum confuse the issue of dietary consumption of cholesterol with the implications of elevated LDL cholesterol in the blood stream as the cause and effect issue for heart disease.

Although dietary consumption of cholesterol may not necessarily be the 'principle' cause of elevated LDL in the bloodstream, 'in general', it may still negatively affect a significant portion of the population. This is the view of medical researchers that I have spoken with who do not have a vested interest from pharmaceutical sponsors.

The inflammatory process that occurs within the human body may be partially contributed to through a diet high in simple carbohydrates - but advocates of this view who write on this forum omit the contribution of a sedentary lifestyle. You can have the best diet in the world, but if you don't actively exercise 5-6 days per week, you may still develop heart disease and other related diseases like type-2 diabetes and Alzheimer's.

Optimal vascular functioning requires the release of nitric oxide which is primarily initiated by aerobic exercise.

As a surviving triple-bypass patient, I rehabilitated myself through lifestyle modification that involved both nutrition and exercise, they go hand-in-hand. I no longer take any medication except for a baby aspirin, but for some people medications such as statins might be necessary in the absence of lifestyle modification or a genetic predisposition to hypercholesterolemia.

I encourage all readers and authors in this forum to avoid utilizing sensationalism in their posts that appeal to the 'conspiracy instincts' of those who want simple answers to a complicated subject.

1 like
Londinium

Dr Mercola interviews Dr Mosley -

1 like
HiddenThis reply has been deleted
sandybrown
sandybrown
in reply to Hidden

what was the reason for going for blood test?

High uric acid level? did you have gout?, What medication and food prescription di you take for 20 day.

I am 70, I had big toe pain and experienced gout!!!.

I went on a life style change 5 years ago, watching food and drinks intake also regular exercise. My height is 5' 5'' and weigh 80kg. Maintaining my weight and waist.

What is your waist measurement. Waist to height ratio is an important factor now days as there is only one variable and simple calculation. Internet has a chart.

High blood pressure, "Do you have stressful job?" The supplement you took, advised by a doctor?

Walking is a good exercise. I go to the gym, 20 -30 minutes on a tread mill and weights for 20 minutes. I try to take my heart rate to 150% on the tread mill.

You may also like...