RHR: The Functional Medicine Approach ... - Cholesterol Support

Cholesterol Support
8,457 members2,406 posts

RHR: The Functional Medicine Approach to High Cholesterol..

Dottie2011
Dottie2011
31 Replies

'The message that “cholesterol is bad and if you have high cholesterol you should take a statin to lower it” is out of date and not in sync with the most recent scientific evidence. Unfortunately, the latest findings have not trickled down to the average primary care doctor—or even the average cardiologist. Today I discuss the six underlying causes of high cholesterol and how addressing those issues can often alleviate the need to take statins.'

chriskresser.com/functional...

31 Replies
oldestnewest
Bazza1234

Why would we believe this man's ideas over and above others???

1 like
CDreamer
CDreamer
in reply to Bazza1234

Maybe because he's not the only person to study this and take a differing view?

2 likes
SilverDreamMachine

Hi,

Medical science evolves over time and hopefully improves the treatments that our clinicians offer us. In my opinion we our in an age that, because of the access to facts/opinions (mainly due to the advent of the internet), allows 'patients' as well as clinicians the opportunity to gain a better understanding of their body's health.

Everyone has the choice to believe whatever they wish, whether it be their local overworked GP or a blogger on the net. Our choice, our health.

I am my own advocate when it comes to my health and encourage others to do likewise.

Best of luck.

Peter

5 likes
sandybrown

Agree. Regular exercise and food intake control is the way forward, our body gives us an indication from time to time, watch out!!!!

7 likes
MAY-1
MAY-1
in reply to sandybrown

Yes,exercise is good idea but my GP recently advised me to stop exercising because I irregular heartbeat.I'm not happy and still want to walk.What do you think Bala and you folks out there? Take my health into my own hands?

Dottie2011
Dottie2011
in reply to MAY-1

Exercise might not be such a good thing after all, anyway.

The Myth of Cardiovascular Health from Exercise:

brianpeskin.com/pdf/reports...

But walking can never do your heart any harm as it does not raise your heart beats enough! Your doctor is talking rubbish, what are you supposed to do just sit around???! That would cause more harm than good.

1 like
sandybrown
sandybrown
in reply to MAY-1

Walking is the best exercise, closer to your home, with a mobile phone to call for help. If you are thinking of gym exercise then you need to consult a gym instructor.

Exercise May Help Control Irregular Heartbeat. ... Atrial fibrillation, the most common abnormal heart rhythm, affects about 2.7 million Americans, according to the American Heart Association.

1 like
MAY-1
MAY-1
in reply to sandybrown

I appreciate your response Bala.I'll go by your suggestion.

sandybrown
sandybrown
in reply to MAY-1

Good luck with your walking exercise. There are a lot of medical courses in this site freelearn, over the last five years I have done many courses to get full understanding of health. There is no one answer to human problem, we all have different mechanism and the function of our blood flow system.

Food and drinks intake control, watching out for free sugar and hidden sugar, portion control coupled with 1/3 food, 1/3 water and 1/3 empty for few weeks can help. I did try this in my early life style change. Now days, I do control my food and drink intake.

sos007
sos007Ambassador

Dottie2011

Please provide two links to scientific studies that prove what you are saying.

Kresser is a doctor that sells supplements. While I don't disagree with much of his insights, nowhere does he say that LDL cholesterol levels are irrelevant.

While consumption of dietary cholesterol may not be as important, the body's own generation of cholesterol still plays a role. The number of atherogenic particles are best measured by Apo B. Lp(a) measurements are also critical and I believe even Dr. Kresser agrees with that.

I have personally spoken with cholesterol researchers at McGill University in Montreal, Canada who say that although sugar is a big factor, some people are still sensitive to saturated fat consumption so it depends on each person's own metabolism.

I don't use statins, but they are a legitimate treatment for some people who cannot achieve desirable levels of LDL-P and Apo B, naturally through diet and exercise.

CDreamer
CDreamer
in reply to sos007

Maybe it is not a binary issue, just maybe there are different options for different people?

I have high cholesterol and my GP practice ring me offering me statins every 6 months and I keep saying no. Why? Many reasons, not least because I know that GP practice receives a bonus for every person taking statins. Why? Because all clinical trials are based around herd statistics.

I have individual needs which I believe statins will NOT help. My high cholesterol is due to high systemic inflammation - which admittedly statins also reduce - but at a high price of side effects and complications.

I work with a nutritionist to reduce my inflammation levels and so far my cholesterol levels have remained steady for the last 20 years. I have a balanced diet, high fat - low carb and no added sugars, get good sleep, exercise as and when I can.

I have followed many of the Doctors who have written about high cholesterol - trouble is when any of them question or go 'off piste' their careers tend to disappear.

I would suggest reading The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcom McKendrick & Doctoring Data

drmalcolmkendrick.org/

2 likes
Floozie
Floozie
in reply to CDreamer

You don't say whether you have ever taken statins. If not, how do you know whether they may help you? Swallowing a pill each day is a very easy way of reducing cholesterol, providing it works for you & without side effects.

CDreamer
CDreamer
in reply to Floozie

Never have, never will! I have several underlying serious conditions one of which is muscle weakness so not about to chance anything which has muscle weakness/pain as a side effect. GP said plainly that in my situation neither would she.

2 likes
Bazza1234

We are indeed all "an experiment of one" - so I can only speak for myself and my situation. At 70 yo, I have had extremely high levels of total cholesterol for over 30 years. In the past Doctors have attempted to put me onto statins - and I have made a few attempts to take them - but my problem has been that I have always lapsed and literally forgotten to take them so went off them. I guess it was partly because I have no symptoms of anything and basically no other heart related "risk factors". But recently I heard about a newish technology called a calcium score test. It IS a valuable test to have done - because it gives me an immediately recognizable picture of my heart - and what is wrong with it. Most people ( especially in my age group) have calcification/hardening of their heart arteries - what is most important is the level that we have. Unfortunately for me my level is in the 75th percentile, which means that I have more calcification than 75% of other people my age - and IF I want to live until I am 80, I need to stop it's rate of progress. Now - from a fitness point of view, I am a long distance runner and my physical exercise has not reduced cholesterol levels at all. I don't smoke - probably have drunk alcohol a little to regularly and had a diet that used a lot of refined white flour - bread, pasta, etc. So - nobody REALLY knows what causes calcification of the arteries - it is said that it comes out of plaque that forms in these arteries so I needed to reduce that . Already exercising and not overweight - I set out finally to reduce cholesterol - which I have had enormous success with over the past few months - by reducing my coffee and alcohol intake, reducing anything made with white flour, increasing intake of fruit, vegetables, whole grains like oats and barley, fish. reducing intake of red meat and saturated fats - increased intake of fatty nuts like walnuts - and taken a low dose of CRESTOR statin (5 mg) plus 100 mg aspirin each day. I have had absolutely no side effects of these two medications - it is almost as though they are simply placebos.

CDreamer
CDreamer
in reply to Bazza1234

You will be doubly interested in Dr MCKendrick's latest blog where he hypothesises about possible link to Vit C deficiency and Heart disease.

You do need to read through to the end though.

PS - there is a lot of increasing evidence that veteran endurance atheletes have a very high incidence of heart disease - you may find this thread from AF forum of interest,

healthunlocked.com/afassoci...

1 like
Londinium
Londinium
in reply to Bazza1234

Hi Bazza,

I've heard of the calcium score test. Is it available on the NHS? If not, approx how much would it cost?

I've also had decades of very high cholesterol and am wondering if I have familial hypercholesteraemia and which tests would confirm it? And if the relevant tests are available on the NHS? Or, if not, how much they'd cost?

Any info from you and others on this forum would be appreciated.

Thanks. 🖖🏻

sandybrown

Please see your GP and ask all the questions!

1 like
Londinium

Bala, is that supposed to be a funny or an angry reply to me?

Either way, it's unhelpful and ungracious.

sandybrown

Well,

I am sorry for my response. From now on I will keep out of this area.

Since my life style change five years go I have been responding to posts!

We are all very different and different medication react differently.

No a funny or angry answer, a polite answer to get your GP, a medical person who has all your medical records to answer questions, offer medication and offer referral for additional tests.

4 likes
sandybrown

I am only a member in Cholesterol support in Health unlocked, but time to time I do look at other area posts but do not wish to become a member to offer response as I only understand cholesterol LPID and HbA1C numbers.

Some one once wrote medication a can react with medication b, therefore medication c, cannot help to clear problems with a &b.

1 like
Bazza1234
Bazza1234
in reply to Londinium

Can't help you there - I am not in the UK, am in Australia . It is also not on our "Medicare" programme so had to pay for it myself - $150 which I thought to be quite inexpensive. In some sense, it doesn't really do much - EXCEPT that it helps to focus the mind a lot when you can physically see what is wrong with you ( bit like looking at a broken leg in an x-ray photo) . It convinced me that I had to change my diet AND also take the medicine!!! Artherosclerosis isn't called the "silent killer" for no reason - and so many people have it without knowing - even fit, healthy people with no apparent cardi-vascular risk factors!!

2 likes
Bazza1234
Bazza1234
in reply to Bazza1234
Londinium
Londinium
in reply to Bazza1234

Thanks Bazza.

Dr William Davis (cardiologist and author of the WheatBelly book and the WheatBelly Blog, has mentioned some techniques which he prefers for assessing plaque build up. I'll have to look him up again. 🖖🏻

Penel
Penel
in reply to Londinium

NICE recommends testing for FH if you have high cholesterol levels.

nhs.uk/Conditions/Cholester...

Dottie2011

Bazza, if you have high levels of calcification, have you had your Magnesium/Vitamin K2 levels checked?? Magnesium dissolves excess calcium and vitamin K2, helps direct calcium to the bones and teeth and away from the soft tissues/arteries.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/232...

drsircus.com/magnesium/calc...

articles.mercola.com/sites/...

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/208...

allyg23999796

Well done my friend same age too probably why we saw the light. 10-10 Bazaar I lost my bother Barry two years on retiring never got to enjoy his pension. So I don't know how they put it up they would lose everything just for greed of our world.

Concerned

We've been told that saturated fat is the problem for fifty years; so sad.

The body actually needs twice as much energy in the form of fat compared to carbohydrate, so much so that an excess of carbohydrate is turned to fat. Excess carbohydrate from fructose causes fatty liver, just like alcohol, leading to visceral fat emanating and adding to insulin resistance. High insulin levels also contribute to insulin resistance and high blood pressure. IGF-1 causes the abnormal growth of the endothelial lining of arteries, effectively narrowing them. Too much omega-6 also causes inflammation. Stimulants like caffeine and nicotine exacerbate the problem.

Do we advise people with diabetes to drink less because drinking water is associated with diabetes? Of course not! High cholesterol levels are a sign of the body attempting to repair itself, and statins impair liver function to prevent this? Low cholesterol levels increase the risk of cancer; not something that is broadcast frequently.

Eating in a low-glycaemic, higher natural fat way is one key to preventing heart disease, avoiding processed foods and stimulants. Exercise is good, but not too much or too often; the first thing you have to do following a workout is recover.

1 like
DakCB-UK

I suspect it would be more accurate to say that the message that “cholesterol is bad and if you have high cholesterol you should take a statin to lower it” is mainly found on the websites of cholesterol sceptics and fad diet quacks who are setting up false arguments that they can attack - be very suspicious of them!

Mainstream medicine tells us to try lifestyle changes before drugs - but most people won't do that and don't hear the suggestions (although a few rubbish doctors prejudge that their patient won't make chanegs so don't suggest it), so end up letting things fail to the point where they get offered drugs.

CDreamer
CDreamer
in reply to DakCB-UK

I am sorry but your first paragraph makes no sense to me.

I agree that most people would much rather take the easy option of taking a pill than changing long established habits - I have found it very hard! But rather that than take statins AND I can see their value for many people - which is why it is not a binary issue.

Talk to a nutritionist and they will give you a very different view than the NHS mainstream view - and they do much more significant tests than the NHS offer. Unfortunately our brilliant NHS has to look at cost and what benefits the most, more of the time - herd statistics - and does not take into account personal health history and nor does it take a wholistic view.

One only has to ask why has health deteriated so much over the last 50 years when we have a so called 'improved diet' which recommended high carbohydrate and low fat diet.

I have read many good research studies which clearly indicate that the majority of cholesterol in the body is caused either because of a genetic difference or because of a reaction to inflammation - often caused by leaky gut. These are not quacks to be suspicious of but serious, conscientious scientists, often ignored and sidelined because what they try to highlight is not going to make anyone a pile of money.

But of course we need to be aware of rogues and not be trust everything we are told or read - whoever says it.

Best wishes CD.

1 like
allyg23999796

If you take Statins then you will find out later I. Life now distribution give they are to your body, they are banned in the states so they brought them here I was on them 8years and they can't do anything to untangle the blood vessels or I could lose my leg, to lower cholesterol take ginger buy in in jars with syrup the root ginger is better but take it every two-way three days. If you had suffered a stroke and they gave you Statins then you could end up with a heart attack the medication today are the drug world to the riches. I am a person maybe different from you all any medication could back fire in my body because my immune system would fight back and cause more problems to my health and why I keep away from them I do try different methods such as lnsolin but my body still regulates around 9-10 which is good for men. Women Is around 4-5 men use more energy lifting than women and why it regulates those figures, always check your Blood defishencies and find out what you need in your body than overloading it which can cause problems. It's like over filling oil in your car would cause problems too so you have to be careful you know your own body and if you feel low esteem then chop a lemon into quarters boil it in pot with one cup of water honey and quarter of cinnamon stur and drink when warm before bed,

allyg23999796

For everyone I do hope you Listen eating fast food can harm you eating fresh builds you to a better life today you can cook easy foods such as Brussels carrots that take ten minutes to cook never over cook you spoil the goodness it holds potatoes use little when fishing out they can cause knee pain in later life I find eating British greens are better over seas they never get that check like they use to in the 50s you treat your body like Luekemia you can only use the blood from your own Country anywhere else you would die so it shows us all learning to grow our own would help us all to live a better life eat plenty of ginger beetroot you can peel and slice into a soucepan and cover them with spring water simmer take out the beetroot when it is nice and red. You can eat the beet. But the juice gives you a better protein for your body onions to and garlic cloves three with honey or syrup chopped into quarters chews up nicely before swallowing and you don't get that garlic breath out to people. Eat less meat in a survey in the states thousands die and they are the proof beef eaters of the world so one rump steak in a pollothene bag bash down to make two than eating one that could build up that unwanted news to hear.I wouldn't say as I hate the word in my world.although I plan to live a good age and things do happen in life you can be here today gone tomorrow that's life but eating well on good foods keeps us alert. Drinking is bad and there are other ways enjoying drinks and at a low cost price of what beer is today. My first pint was 11pence in old money. Today's is a ripoff caused by greed like everything else. I bless you all in your paths of life take great care and your body too,

You may also like...