Too Much Iron May Lead to Heart problems!

As the level of iron goes up in your bloodstream, so apparently does your risk for heart attack and stroke. A new study by Japanese researchers shows that high-level iron injections can cause almost immediate constriction of blood vessels. In fact, the scientists believe the iron damage could be the first step in a cascade of events leading to the thickening and hardening of the arteries known as atherosclerosis.

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I did write one post this morning, I am not sure what happened to the post!

Have been reading a lot about Iron in blood lately, new way of thinking?

• We can suggest that Iron overload is risk to heart health and other complicated diseases like liver disease and hypothyroidism .

Find here more information about that .

irondisorders.org/iron-over...

• Thank you.

I do not know (why?) Iron is not tested with cholesterol!

• There are lots of theories already of what causes atherosclerosis. Part of the problem is that where there are associations it is difficult to determine whether they are a cause or a symptom.

What we do know is that IGF-1 causes growth, and high IGF-1 levels cause growth of the endothelial lining of arteries, effectively narrowing them.

Fructose glycosylates haemoglobin seven times as much as glucose, effectively thickening blood and making it susceptible to clotting.

• I had an appointment with HCA for a health check up. I wanted to make sure iron in blood was tested. I was given an explanation that B12 is normally tested therefore there is no need for iron resting in blood. Can some one please explain this to me. What is the connection between B12 and iron and heart problems. thanks.

• Low levels of B12 can mean you've got aenemia, which is why it's tested. If you want to know about iron levels, ask for a test of ferritin levels. High levels of iron in blood can be genetic (hemochromatosis), but I think you would have some symptoms.

Iron is necessary for health but perhaps don't eat too many iron rich foods? Becoming a blood donor can lower the amount of iron in your blood.

• Thank you for your response, I have been able to read and get a better understanding on B12 and iron deficiency.

• This is what I found:

very interesting reading, HCA mentioned to me B12 testing is enough?, from what I have read B12 testing and Iron testing look for different things. B12 can dissolve in water where as Iron is a metal and it is necessary for transport!

Iron deficiency anemia is a condition in which your blood lacks adequate healthy red blood cells to carry enough oxygen to your tissues. Vitamin deficiency, a condition with similar effects, reduces the number of healthy red blood cells, so your body can’t get the oxygen it needs.

Iron deficiency anemia is due to insufficient iron, either from inadequate dietary intake or from increased iron losses. The most common cause is blood loss from heavy menstruation, intestinal bleeding or from tumors or ulcers. The underlying issue is diminished production of hemoglobin, the substance in red blood cells that enables them to carry oxygen. Vitamin deficiency anemias result from a lack of folate and/or vitamin B12, either from inadequate intake or inadequate absorption.

Mild iron deficiency anemia can become quite severe if left untreated, leading to a rapid or irregular heartbeat, angina or chest pain, problems during pregnancy such as premature births and low birth weight babies and physical and mental growth problems in children. It is also associated with a greater incidence of lead poisoning. Vitamin deficiency anemia leads to other health problems, including birth defects and nervous system disorders like mental difficulties and tingling in the extremities.

Iron deficiency anemia is diagnosed mainly through blood tests. Your doctor will check for a smaller red blood cell size and paler color, lower red blood cell percentage in the blood and lower hemoglobin and ferritin levels. Vitamin deficiency anemias are also detected through blood tests, but doctors look at slightly different things. They check the amount of folate and vitamin B12 in addition to the level and appearance of red blood cells. Vitamin B12 deficiency may require additional testing.