Bad Fats!

I was reading from a recent posting that some people are of the prevailing opinion that fat in the diet results in bad fats in the blood.

I would like to point out that triglycerides necessitate a backbone of carbohydrate (glyc) to link with three fatty acids. Put simply, if you limit the amount of high-glycaemic carbohydrate in your diet, you automatically control your triglyceride levels in your bloodstream. You will also reduce your levels of vldl cholesterol in this way too.

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Absolutely!

• What foods constitute high glycaemic carbohydrates? Surely you can eat SOME? Is there a way of testing your cholesterol without going along to the doctors? I would just like to know if my cholesterol is normal and if nit I can do something about it. I'm 70. Thank you.

• I think between 45 and 70 you are elligible for a free NHS health check from your GP. You can get cholesterol testing kits from some pharmacies.

Cooking, fibre and adding fat or protein can affect the GI, so Diabetes UK say you can have some, just to mix them with low GI carbs. I would question why you would want them though? If you can get your head around the fact that to your body they are worse than table sugar, they cause worse highs and lows of blood glucose, and excessive insulin release. High glycaemic foods include old potatoes, most cereals including Weetabix, Shredded Wheat and Corn Flakes, many breads including white or wholemeal bread, and rolls, and baguettes. Basmati rice is a moderate GI, whereas most other rice is high GI. glycemicindex.com

• All processed carbohydrate should be rationed. I don't mean that you should do without it but watch how much bread, pasta and rice you consume. Watch your portion sizes and keep bread to a minimum. The worst offender is sugar - in all its forms. the amount of sugar in processed foods, both savoury and sweet is enormous and that is why I try to eat as much natural food as possible and cook and bake my own bread and cakes, etc. I have grandchildren who enjoy cooking with me and are becoming very good chefs themselves (after all they have to learn to feed themselves when they are adults) and teaching them to cook good, natural food with fresh fruit and vegetables is the way to go.

As to your cholesterol levels, do you have any underlying health problems? No? Then don't rush to the Drs to find out your levels. When you get older (and I am only 10 years behind you) your C levels increase to help the body heal itself (especially if you suffer from arthritis (like me), rheumatics of all sorts, or other ageing problems that the body goes through. Old injuries and work related stresses on the body also play their part. (A friend of my suffers from "white finger" from years of working at a factory workbench.)

If you are feeling well in yourself, have no worrying symptoms that need a Dr's visit and eat and take exercise sensibly you should be OK. Enjoy the Summer!!

• I make my own museli with porridge, honey, seeds galore and lots of chopped up dried fruit. I eat porridge a lot like this, toasted with the coconut oil and honey in the oven, then add the fruit when cooled and store it. I always thought porridge was really good for you - a good source of fibre? Incidently that was one of Linda Barker's recipes off Lorraine Kelly's healthy breakfast week.

Patch 14 I too suffer dreadfully with osteoarthritis but I have to admit my weakness is chocolate, cakes and biscuits. I can hear you groaning. Do you have a healthy recipe for cakes/biscuits you could let me have please? These things really are my downfall at night, even though I'm not overweight at all. Thank you, Sarah.

• Not sure that there is a 'healthy' recipe for cakes/biscuits! Just keep them for ocassional treat..

I had to cut out eating sugar some time ago because of a health problem and I found it quite difficult to do. I hadn't realised how addictive it was! Thankfully I can now have the ocassional treat without wanting to eat the whole packet.

I found having a protein breakfast works best for me.

• You can still have those things, provided you keep your carb intake below 40g at each meal. Having 85% cocoa chocolate for instance is less than 5g per 25g bar. Look at the values of your dried fruit and oats; try eating them in small amounts, like condiments. I can only ask that you give it a go. I eat like this, and I wouldn't go back. You begin to appreciate that berries and non-starchy veg are much better for you. Have nuts, seeds, tofu, cheese or eggs at each meal. Have coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, cream and butter to enhance your meals, and keep you satisfied. All the best!

• I've remembered that I sometimes do a no-added sugar fruit loaf, all the sweetness comes from the fruit you use. My recipe is gluten free, so you could just look on line for an ordinary flour version. You could also try cutting back on sugar in your recipes by a third, it doesn't seem to affect the consistency but does let you taste any other flavourings you may put in.

• Thank you. I'm also going to google low sugar/fat chocolate biscuits and cakes to bake. I've a really sweet tooth and it took all my willpower today not to buy a bounty or kit kat bar when out shopping. I bought an 85% cocoa chocolate bar so am looking forward to eating some of that this evening. I'm just hoping I won't eat the lot! :-(

You may also like...