Cholesterol Support
7,551 members2,139 posts

What do you do to maintain your health?

Such as not smoking, limiting alcohol, raising heart rate to 130+ beats per minute for 45 minutes, or 140+ bpm for 20 minutes, or 150 + bpm for 12 minutes at least once every four days, resistance training, controlling stress, eating sufficient protein, controlling glycaemic load...?

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi Concerned,

I don't smoke, stay well within alcohol limits and don't drink on at least 3-4 normal working days. I walk 40 minutes to work and back and go swimming twice a week. I'm not fanatically anti fat foods but try to avoid all junk food and refined carbs. I check my own blood glucose and adjust my diet accordingly. I have not had a day off sick for 7 years and all routine cancer checks have been normal. I am 58 and a normal weight, size 10-12. All I need to do is sprout wings and grow a halo.

However conventional medicine tells me that my "health problem" is that I have an unmedicated TC level of between 8 and 9 with an LDL of 5.5. My real problems are that it has taken me 3 years to get a definite medical diagnosis to exclude a single genetic cause (still waiting for results, Traci !) and to decide if I want to take life long medications that seem to have an adverse effect on every single system of my body.

Oh and the whole thing has changed me from lovable pussy cat into snarling tiger. Sorry for rant.

Thanks Traci. Patience is the greatest virtue, every lipid clinic should have it written on their wall.

I start my day with 60 press ups, walk about 1000 miles annually, have drastically cut carbohydrate consumption, increased saturated fat consumption massively. I've cut back on alcohol consumption and don't smoke. Supplement with 5000iu vitamin D3.

I have started using the Wii Fit every day as I need to lose weight. My problem is that I use a wheelchair when out. Once I have had my eye operation which is on Thursday. Once I get the all clear I will be joining the local gym so that I can get fitter. I wont be able to go swimming for 4 or 5 weeks. My resting heart rate can be quite high between 91 - 120. Hopefully once I get more fitter that will get lower. I have never smoked and I dont drink alcohol which is good.

I take nearly 30 pills a day at the moment.

Dee

I think it's a question of balance - healthy eating within reasonable constraints I avoid cheese, crisps, pies etc, but I find it's better for me to avoid those products completely rather than tempt myself to eat more, but that was very difficult in the Christmas party season!

Exercise should be taken carefully depending on your own resting and maximum pulse rate - the rule is 220 less your age(for men) gives max hr and 75/80% gives your training rate. However this is only a rule of thumb and does not reflect an individuals level of fitness. Good exercise is cycling and swimming(non impact) and gym work gives you strength and core stability, but avoid or limit the high impact activities like running(treadmill or the real thing), but if you enjoy running do it on soft ground like fields or tracks etc.

With alcohol it's a question of balance and moderation, perhaps only having a little tipple on weekends leaving several days booze free, but that's the ideal and we all struggle I think to not resort to a drink when the stress of the day has been high! On the subject of drink I am partial to real ales, but they are high in alcohol and calories so be careful.

I don't smoke (mildly asthmatic anyway without that), limit alcohol, exercise most days because I don't use cars or the nearest bus stop to get around much, I try to eat enough protein and not much fat but I don't monitor that or the exercise too closely. My obvious failing was cheese (Somerset stereotype!) but that new Wyke Farms superlow cheddar is pretty good. Yet still my cholesterol is very high. Guess I've got probably got FH ;-)

I've messed with vitamin D in the past because I have a skin problem that gets worse in winter, but it doesn't seem to have an effect that I could notice, on either skin or cholesterol, so I suspect I probably got enough already from spending fair amount of time outdoors plus a good diet.

Have you tried controlling (not eliminating) your glycaemic load to improve your blood lipids?

Not intentionally, but a look at GL tables makes me think I'm on a low-GL diet anyway with the possible exception of rice. I probably won't control it strictly unless medics advise it because I hate measuring food to that degree of accuracy, looking it up in huge tables and doing sums as a penalty for cooking my own food instead of buying packet pap - it takes some of the enjoyment out of cooking, don't you think?

As far as I saw, the trial results for GL-lipid correlations seem rather mixed and has there been any study of GL in FH sufferers yet?

Maybe you could be the first? ;-)

One sufferer is an anecdote, not really a study ;-)

You may also like...