Conditions and injuries that affect appearance

Hi guys,

One of the greatest things about our community (70 members strong at the minute!) is the vast amount of conditions we encompass. 'Visible difference' is very broad, and so we are able to welcome a big range of medical diagnoses - some of which will be more widely known about and understood than others.

I thought we could use this particular blog to raise awareness and understanding about some of the the conditions/injuries we live with. If you would like to, reply to this post by naming your condition and briefly explaining what it is.

So for example, someone could write a reply to this explaining what Alopecia (hair loss or absence) is. You could stop there if you want to, or expand if you have more to say...

Hopefully we can use this space to learn more about different conditions and illnesses.

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Parry Rombergs Syndrome: a progressive hemi-facial atrophy.

• Some conditions that affect appearance that I am familiar with are:

Port Wine Stains, Moebius Syndrome, Cleft Lip and Palate and Hemifacial Microosmia.

A Port Wine Stain is a type of birthmark; Moebius Syndrome is facial paralysis, and it is congenital. Cleft Lip and Palate is a split or separation in the lip (one or both sides) and the palate; and finally, Hemifacial Microsomia describes the congenital condition whereby one side of the face is under-developed.

I think explaining a medical name can have a demystifying effect - it would be great to hear others explained!

• I have a type of vasculitis called Wegener's Granulamatosis, which has made a hole in my nose. I currently wear a dressing over my nose to cover the hole and to support my specs, but I'm always being asked what I've done, which gets a rather tedious!

• Moebius syndrome is a neurological disorder that can be present at birth that disables lateral eye movement in addition to preventing movement in other areas of the face. Children with this type of congential facial paralysis often experience great difficulty controlling eye movements on the affected side and making facial expressions. Here's a detailed article about the condition and possible treatment options: facialparalysisinstitute.co...

You may also like...