How to get help

I suffer extreme anxiety and avoidance mainly because of appearance issues. My life is hell and worse has ground to a halt so nothing is changing. I need to get psychological and social help but I can't bring myself to go to the GP and have to explain. The embarrassment & anxiety is too intense. I know that I deserve help but I have such low self esteem I think they will just judge me and think I'm weak and selfish.

Does anyone else have this problem, and does anyone have any info / advice on how to get around this?

What would be great is if there was some kind of group / charity that I could explain everything to and they could provide some kind of assistence.

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • There are many of us on here who are sorry you feel like this. But remember you are not alone, there are people out there who want you to feel better than you do now. It is a case of taking one step at a time and looking forward and finding that help for yourself. The first thing you really need to do is speak to a GP at your surgery. Try and find someone there who you think you can relate to better than the others and go from there. There is no shame in seeking help when you feel such anxiety, see it as a way to maintain your dignity and respect, you deserve to be cared for properly when you are unable to cope like this. I cannot emphasise enough that it is important that you seek proper medical help for your anxiety. To try and cope on your own feeling like this can be too difficult to bear. If you are feeling too embarrassed to be there with other people looking at you, then try and explain this to the receptionist on the phone, after all GP's can come out to see people. I would suggest that you seek help from your GP first, then talk to Changing Faces, changingfaces.org.uk/Home they are an excellent charity that helps people deal with facial or body differences such as disfigurements. Changing Faces also allows you to feel part of a community, where you are all in it together and that mutual support and respect goes a long way to giving you the psychological support you need to deal with your personal situation.

You are not alone, have courage to get help now, you deserve to feel better than you do. Do write back and say how you got on, if I don't answer, there are other Changing Faces volunteers here who are great at giving moral support also. All the best.

You may also like...