Anyone have any makeup tips or resources they can share for those with facial asymmetry?

I had a mandibular resection as treatment for Ameloblastoma two years ago now. I am recurrence free to date, and have got most, if not all of my function back in my lower lip despite the removal of the nerve (though no feeling). As well as removing the bone and inserting a metal plate and bone graft they also had to remove part of my massater muscle to get the required margins around the tumour. As a result I had a degree of facial assymetry (a slightly squarer jawline with a bit of bulging at the tumour site due to scar tissue adhesion, plus a hollow cheek from the loss of muscle). It is not a particularly severe case in the scheme things, and most days I hardly notice it (if my face is 'moving' it is not so easy to spot). I do find it quite jarring in photographs though. Others say the can't see it, but for me it's the first thing I spot (a natural reaction I suppose - I had my old face for 28 years before this one came along! :) ). I am getting married next year, and I would really love it if my first reaction to my wedding photos isn't - 'oh, my jaw looks funny in that one!'. Does anyone have any tips or links to resources for using makeup to rebalance the face a bit? I don't normally wear the stuff, so perhaps if I can get it right I can trick myself into not noticing the jaw in the wedding pics that way.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • hi, my name is Alison. I was bitten by a dog on my face before I was two, and have had an asymmetric smile for all my life that I can remember.

Firstly, I don't use foundation, and to be fair, the scarring is somewhat faded these days, but the asymmetric-ness of the smile is still there. I don't wear much makeup at all, but concentrate on getting my eyes reasonably good, and making them the focus, rather than trying to hide what I don't want people to see.

Secondly, I sympathise about how you feel about how you look in photographs but it's easy to over worry about this, I have found that although I nearly always really hate pictures of me, other people often think and say that a photo is a good one and they mean it, and the more relaxed you can be about it, the better it gets (really!). I have a really good recent picture of me with my husband on our 18th wedding anniversary, and I admit I'm relaxed because we're on the third bottle of bubbly, but hey...

Thirdly, weddings (and every photo hater's nightmare). Go and speak to your photographer of choice, tell them what you want and what you don't want and why, and if you don't get the answers or support you're looking for, try someone else. We opted for photos (just of bride and groom) the day before the wedding, all dressed up, at church and everything, and no really close shots. It worked, and it was a bonus that I just didn't have to deal with it on the day so we went straight from the church, and walked to the reception. We did have a photographer on the day, but he was briefed to take photos of everyone except us, and general shots but no x and y with the bride and groom.

Good luck, be who you are, be the person your family and friends know - that's who they're expecting, and that's the person they want to see be married.

• What Alison has said is most valuable and I hope that it goes some way to helping you BozBozBoz.

Hi, I was born with a naevus of ota and that meant that over time my markings got darker and more obvious to try and cover. I have been using skin camouflage make up for the past 36 years, so know a little about covering up and equalising out facial features.

When it comes to wearing makeup and particularly for special occasions, I would wear a light foundation as that is a great way to even out skin tone. Afterwards, I pat it with light white powder, give the foundation at least 10 minutes to warm up on the face and then you can start brushing features in with a blusher with two or more variant shades of colour that match with your skin tone. Light highlighter powder makes your features protrude and the darker beige/ brown blushers do the opposite.

And as Alison says, if you can highlight and make your eyes a feature then that is lovely. In my case that is not so easy.

A very good idea as suggested to talk to the photographer beforehand and make him aware of your concerns, a they can do excellent work with lighting and shade. Have a great day and all the best for the future.

• hi.I would possibly not be helped with make up.or have no idea where to start.my jaw is unbalanced due to damage in car accident in my teens.both side of jaw fractured.first op was a failure

2 op helped but was slightly larger than my own had been.several tears later I had pain and another op done which lessened the pain but left jaw much smaller and on a slight tilt.I have sought treatment by numerous surgeons over years.but no help offered as say too risky .anyway I do try and focus on eye makeup as tilt on jaw really bothers me at times.some photos are disturbing. that lopsided jaw has also caused eating issues. mouth issues and spine on angle cos of eating and jaw unbalanced.as ageing with years of jaw being incorrect.would be happy if any make up could help.with tilt one side of face n cheek sits further back. (does that make sense? ).illusion make up ??