What to drink during chemo

Hi I've been diagnosed with breast cancer and am currently having chemo (FecD). Im day 10 after 1st chemo and was wondering if there's anything I can drink other than water? I am drinking 1 1/2ltrs a day but am so fed up with it having no taste. I currently have a UTI but am looking for a good alternative to water for throughout my chemo.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Kazza

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I ate lots of ice lollies because my mouth was quite dry. They contain plenty of water and taste nice! Also I put some squash in my water. The high juice ones are nice especially pink grapefruit if you like that flavour. Good luck with your treatment.

• Hi Kazza

I see you already got a helpful reply but just to add that smoothies and soups are a great way of staying hydrated and nibbling sharp tasting fruits such as pineapple and grapefruit help with stimulating the salivary glands. Do you like herbal teas? There is such a great variety now in the supermarkets which are inexpensive to stock up on.

Hope the UTI is clearing up now and that all goes well with the rest of the chemo

Deirdre

• Thank you both of you. I was afraid to drink anything acidic incase it irritates my bladder/ urinary tract.

Thanks x

• Hi Kazza

the antibiotics should clear the problem fairly quickly. it might be worth getting your Practice nurse to re test a urine sample for you when you finish the course to ensure that the infection has cleared up.

Deirdre

• Pineapple is a really good cleanser for the mouth .. I used to buy the little bags out of asda... Put a slice of lemon or lime in your water .. Roll the fruit before cutting it will loose the natural juice .. Good luck with your treatment.

You may also like...