New to tinnitus and need help! - British Tinnitus ...

British Tinnitus Association
4,108 members2,543 posts

New to tinnitus and need help!

Theodale
Theodale

Hi everyone, suddenly 5 weeks ago I developed a high frequency noise in my left ear. It's constant and it's really affecting my sleep. I've seen my GP who has referred me to ENT at the hospital but could offer nothing to help my sleep.

I've tried background noise to help at night but nothing seems to work!

Does anyone have any advice or coud share their experiences?

Thanks in advance,

D

31 Replies
oldestnewest

I'll just say, watch Cowan Hill videos on youtube.....hey, you'll be ok

Thank you, I'll give them a watch

Thank you!! Just watched a few, very informative.

Wow, thanks, watching Cowan Hill has given me great insight.

That's the worst part!!! I tend to put the telly on low, on to something not to stimulating and watch it until I fall to sleep. I know it's not a cure but another form of distraction. Have you thought about sleep headphones? Where you can listen to an audiobook or meditation music. You can find them on Amazon

Theodale
Theodale
in reply to ROMEROS

Thank you for your advice, I'll give them a look, I'm happy to try anything at the moment!

Hi

Just keep the background noise going ,pillow speakers are good .I find if I lay bad ear on pillow it helps but it takes time ,so don’t worry if it doesn’t work straight away it took me about 2 months to sleep better just let time do it’s job.

Theodale
Theodale
in reply to bennevis21

Thank you Bennevis, as I'm learning, this is a marathon not a sprint!

If you use a smart phone or any internet enabled device try Youtube (or similar) - there are lots of different dedicated Tinnitus sound tracks some of which may help. Contact the BTA helpline and your local Tinnitus Support Group, if there is one in your area.

Theodale
Theodale
in reply to Whine

Many thanks for your advice

Hidden
Hidden

I find thunder storm on youtube keep it on helps me sleep

And it does get easier I know it's easy to say but everyone on here has been were you are now

Sending hug and high five

Theodale
Theodale
in reply to Hidden

Thank you for your support, I'm feeling encouraged!

You need to go see your doctor and ask him to give you something to sleep.

Try using a fan at night as it helps drowning it out slightly also if you drink tea try getting decaffeinated tea bags i found it helps plus use ear phones with soft music as it is comforting hope this helps

My audiologist put me on to an app called White Noise (free), it has a range of sounds which might help at night.

Theodale
Theodale
in reply to hollyhock0

Thank you hollyhock0

Hi sorry to hear your having trouble sleeping try having a hot bath or shower before you go to bed try sleepytime extra infusion you can get them from amazon they have worked for me not all the time as when my T is bad I just don’t sleep and gp won’t give me anything as one of my meds I take at night is to help me sleep.it has been now six nights with out any sleep and is making me feel ill I think it was the music New Year’s Eve that spiked my T yesterday evening my T levels we’re going down and the the fire alarms here went off only 3 times lasting seconds but that was enough it’s like my T has copied the sound even now I can here the alarm going off in my head.do try the sleepytime extra some body on this forum posted about them and I have been using them for over a year now and most of the time I do get to sleep good luck.

Theodale
Theodale
in reply to Joeb17

Thank you for your advice and I hope you get some rest soon

Hidden
Hidden

Tinnitus could be due to nerve damage happened as a result of infection . If you take any medicine for reversing nerve damage there could be relief . Chinese herb '' Gingkobiloba '' helps in getting relief from nerve damage .Find a chinese doctor who would help in this matter .

Theodale
Theodale
in reply to Hidden

Thank you for your tip, I'll look into it

Hidden
Hidden

I used it and in course of time found much relief . Previously I used to hear noise like a borewell digging day and night . I could not sleep at all . Even during day time that hellish noise used to drive me mad . Then a friend told me about Gingkobiloba which I got in homeopathic preparation and used it . I can't say it is fully gone but the density of noise menace reduced . Now I HAVE VERY MINUTE LEVEL OF DISTURBANCE .I have not used any other medicines .We can not say everything works for all . But it is very safe and with out any side effects . Use for a couple of months and see the change .

Tinny1
Tinny1
in reply to Hidden

Wow, I'm also a newbie to tinnitus, after reading your post I'm going to give the Ginko a go. Thanks.

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Tinny1

Gingkobiloba , it seems to work for nerve damage and related problems .Even in peripheral nerve damage it is said to give great relief . But you have to take the advice of your doctor if you are taking any medicines given by him as some times the herbs could give contra results . If you have not yet consulted any doctor and not yet prescribed any medicine you can take Gingkobiloba very very safely .

Tinny1
Tinny1
in reply to Hidden

Thanks, I am waiting for a hospital appointment and on blood pressure tablets so will check in with them, though I've looked on the internet and can't find any contraindications.

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Tinny1

Blood pressure tablets are not good as they give other complications . If one takes Statins for one year it could create diabetes .

Tinny1
Tinny1
in reply to Hidden

I know but there is no choice as it's hereditary and was close to having a stroke/heart attack. I've read that ramipril and indapamide (I'm on both!) can give you tinnitus. I'm waiting to see doctor and audiologist. Slow progress....

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Tinny1

It is a created misconception that it is a hereditary disease . It is not hereditary .

Tinny1
Tinny1
in reply to Hidden

What would it be then? I am not overweight, and I exercise, and eat healthily?

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Tinny1

When you do not have excess weight , exercise regularly eat moderately , the only problem could be strain and stress . GO to a good yoga teacher and learn Anuloma Viloma pranayama . This is also known as Nadishuddhi pranayama . That pranayama gives good physical and mental health , memory power , peace and tranquility . It is proved beyond any doubt . Any medication has side effects and statins are not at all advisable .

Hi theodale

Sorry to hear you're having T problems, including lack of sleep

The T I have had for the last 40 years, has finally gone.

I did this simply by re-configuring my definition of T.

If interested, please see my latest Post

Good luck

Alps.

You may also like...