British Tinnitus Association
2,521 members1,688 posts

Constant high pitched ringing/whistling in left ear. HELP ASAP

So I'm 14. I constantly have music in my ears all the time. I use earphones. I always had the volume up all the way. Anywhere I go I always have my music in my ears on a high volume. All of a sudden something I watched on TV triggered a ringing in both of my ears. I was panicking and freaking out and worried id have tinnitus for life . Then I go to the doctors the next day. My GP looked in my right ear and it's fine. Then she checked my left ear. She said it's an ear infection then I was given steroid spray to spray into my ear because it was swollen or something and ibuprofen. She said its not tinnitus .My ear was getting better after a few days and I was calming down. And now for the past 3 days the ringing ha's got worse. All my medication is used. The ringing is now high pitched whistling and ive had no sleep at all. I'm up all night crying and crying worrying that it's permanent tinnitus from the music I used to listen to Or could it be the ear infection. It's really stressing me out badly. I'm so scared. My parents tell me that if the GP said it's an ear infection then it is and that I shouldn't self diagnose myself and that I should stop looking on the Internet. I'm starting to freak out so much. Has anyone got any advice or anything on what it might be. Please reply asap if so. The noise is unbearable. I don't want tinnitus at this age. Please reply

24 Replies
oldestnewest

Niamh18.

Try not to stress about it your Dr.has told you it's an ear infection so you have to trust him..

My advise would be to give the earphones a miss for a while ..

The ear phones in themselves could be the cause of the infection..

Give it time for antibiotics to kick in which is usually about 3-5 days...

Carol

Just sent you PM ...

Niamh.

Please stop the fear. It's the number 1 thing that affects your T.

Watch Julian Cowan Hill on you tube.

Truly believe in your heart that the symptoms will settle and go.

Use soothing music or audio books etc at night.

Know that stress and the fight/flight response is responsible for you perceiving your symptoms as being catastrophic.

If you can undertake either a soothing body therapy from a therapist, such as cranio sacral therapy or reflexology and or try to do meditation/mindfulness or yoga.

Watch all the positive success stories on the internet.

DON'T get involved with or read about people who are negative, this is so counterproductive!

Believe that there will be a cure. There will be.

If you have had an ear infection , your ears will be more sensitive. Any trauma to the ear causes this, and things will settle down.

DON'T focus on the symptoms. (Far easier said than done). If you carry on with your day and do all of the above, something called neuroplasticity will enable your subconscious to rewire your brain to not hear the noise in the same way. Neuroplasticity works on symptoms of anxiety in the same way and your T is connected to this fear cycle. Read up on neuroplasticity.

Look at Joey Remenyi on you tube. You don't need to do her programme it's basically what I've said above.

Have faith in a higher power or God, if you're a believer.

Well Niamh , this is how my symptoms went from screaming to a faint white noise which sometimes goes all together when I'm super relaxed. I know that sounds crazy, but I even feel the noise can be soothing! I've made my T associate the noise with positivity. My T came on during a stressful house move, and because I love living here I tell myself I'd rather have this noise than live where I used to , a place where I had a crazy farmer neighbour! This tricks my mind into accepting the noise and in doing that, reduces the symptoms.

Look at THE LINDEN METHOD. this also uses the mind set and neuroplasticity to cure anxiety symptoms. He's a great man. He helped me cure my anxiety which was horrendous and severe. I had 2 psych hospital admissions. And even ECT but I'm completely well now. My mindset has also enabled me to cope with a chronic pain condition and although I take pain meds, I'm comfortable most of the time.

All of this takes practice, patience and time. And this too shall pass

Love Hayley

2 likes

There's a high probability it will go. Most people understandably react with fear at the onset of T. The areas responsible for the fear response and the perception of sound are closely linked. Stressing will cause your ears to 'prick up and that's the last thing you want. x

1 like

Take my friendly advise and lower the Volume I’m just talking from experience

Max volume for decades contributed to my T today !

Good luck !!

Most Drs will tell you it’s not Tinnitus my Gp told me it was allergies lol well it wasn’t

Go make a appointment for a audiologists

They can tell you if it is Tinnitus and number one calm down and try to accept it as it is until you go to the Dr.

Good luck !!! Try Ring relief it is sold over the counter and if you can CBD oil drops

They bought bring the ringing down to a normal level 👍🇺🇸

Hi, just believe in your gp. Try deep breathing to calm down. It will fade your young so it will calm and go away.i'm sure it's not permanent especially if your gp says your ear is swollen.

Hi there 1st of alI i would suggest you stop using earphone even at very low volume. And please get you hearing checked from boots which is free.

Same happend to me 3 weeks ago when I was in concert when I left my ear were ringing very loud and couldn't hear properly. However I went for hearing test and I was very shocked that I have lost slight hearing in my both ears.

Hope your hearing is fine

Even if it's tinnitus you will habituate it you don't notice it. Try to keep yourself busy don't not think about it .

Hello and welcome to the British Tinnitus Association forum. Do feel free to ask any questions, I hope that you find this a helpful and supportive place to help you manage your tinnitus.

I've been in exactly your position niamh18 - maybe a little older, but this was pre-internet and forums and websites didn't exist so I had no one to ask so I know how scary it is. But what I can say is that if it's an ear infection, the noise will get better as the infection clears. Been there, done that, and on more than one occasion. There are things you can do to reduce the intrusiveness of the noise, and using low background sound is one of the things.

If you listen to loud music - well, you can still listen to music, but keep it low. If the volume control on your device is 1-10, no more than 6. But it's much more likely to be the infection than the music that has triggered this.

We have some resources that you might like to check out in addition to our home here:

tinnitus.org.uk

takeontinnitus.co.uk

- this gives you some management advice in easy stages

Helpline 0800 018 0527 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm) (outside the UK you can call +44 (0)114 250 9922)

Warmest wishes

Nic (BTA Communications Manager and Forum Administrator)

I'm 14 . I did have an ear infection. before I had an ear infection though I always would listen to my music on a high volume everywhere I went for months before the infection. on Monday the 7th of January I was watching a series on my computer and a song on there triggered my left ear to ring constantly. I was panicking and crying because I was worried that I have permanent tinnitus because my dad told me about it and my music that id listen to would be so loud that my cousin from across the room could hear it even though I had earphones in. I went to a surgery near me and I was seen by a nurse. she checked my ears and said in the left ear I have an ear infection. she said it was inflamed or something and red inside something to do with my ear drum I cant remember . so she gave me steroid spray called otomize and ibuprofen tablets. the ringing was bearable and I didn't mind it but then something happened at home so I panicked a lot and got really stressed and cried and then ever since the ringing was got unbearable. constantly never ending in my left ear high pitched ringing/whistling. I havent had any ear ache only the odd one now and then that lasts like 10 seconds in my right ear not left. my jaw has been hurting only a tiny bit and my teeth are hurting only for a few seconds but the pain isn't aw. on a scale of 1-10 the ear pain is 2 and the jaw and teeth is a 3. the ringing has made me so worried and depressed. I'm crying non stop because I'm starting to think this is permanent(the ringing). ive been up all night shaking with no sleep. the noise is that bad I cant even close my eyes or nap. my dad said give it time it will go away. I went to the surgery again today since all ive been doing all week is crying and stressing. I finished the medication I was given(the spray and tablets). I had a different nurse this time. she checked my ear and said the infection has cleared up and its gone. so then she did a hearing test with this metal thing where she hit it off her desk and put it by my ears to see which noise was better and she put it between my eyebrows in the middle. she said my hearing is fine too. I said im worried I may have permanent tinnitus but she just burst out laughing and said I'm too young to get tinnitus.she didn't give me any medication and said if its still ringing in a week come back and we will have to sort some things out and do tests. The ringing is getting more frustrating and unbearable and I'm starting to panic because ive seen on google and even my dad said yes that there is people who have been left with tinnitus permanently because of an ear infection even after its cleared up. I cant stop shaking and worrying and crying and my parents are trying o sugar coat it saying it will go and its not life threatening but I know they are lying just so i will shut up. my dad said my stress is making it worse. but of course I am going to stress. ive had suicidal thoughts because of this too. no one understands and my dad keeps telling e to go to sleep BUT I CANT!!! he said I wont have tinnitus because tinnitus is caused by drilling and it is caused over a few years not a short amount of time. ive been off school for a we. ive had the ringing for a week and 1 day now. I want to hear silence again. I want to go back to normal. I'm a nervous wreck at the moment. I cant live with tinnitus if I do have it. theres no cure. I need help asap. I don't know what to do!!is the ringing caused by the ear infection I had or the loud music. btw I haven't used my earphones since the ringing started. apart from I did use headphones on a low volume for 3 mins music but that's it. pray for me pls that it will go away. I'm scared!

Niamh, Today at 2:51 AM

Bookmark

Vincent R

Benefactor

Sweden

Tinnitus Since:

09/2014

Cause of Tinnitus:

Acoustic trauma

Niamh said I'm 14 . I did have an ear infection. before I had an ear infection though I always would listen to my music on a high volume everywhere I went for months before the infection. on Monday the 7th of January I was watching a series on my computer and a song on there triggered my left ear to ring constantly. I was panicking and crying because I was worried that I have permanent tinnitus because my dad told me about it and my music that id listen to would be so loud that my cousin from across the room could hear it even though I had earphones in. I went to a surgery near me and I was seen by a nurse. she checked my ears and said in the left ear I have an ear infection. she said it was inflamed or something and red inside something to do with my ear drum I cant remember . so she gave me steroid spray called otomize and ibuprofen tablets. the ringing was bearable and I didn't mind it but then something happened at home so I panicked a lot and got really stressed and cried and then ever since the ringing was got unbearable. constantly never ending in my left ear high pitched ringing/whistling. I havent had any ear ache only the odd one now and then that lasts like 10 seconds in my right ear not left. my jaw has been hurting only a tiny bit and my teeth are hurting only for a few seconds but the pain isn't aw. on a scale of 1-10 the ear pain is 2 and the jaw and teeth is a 3. the ringing has made me so worried and depressed. I'm crying non stop because I'm starting to think this is permanent(the ringing). ive been up all night shaking with no sleep. the noise is that bad I cant even close my eyes or nap. my dad said give it time it will go away. I went to the surgery again today since all ive been doing all week is crying and stressing. I finished the medication I was given(the spray and tablets). I had a different nurse this time. she checked my ear and said the infection has cleared up and its gone. so then she did a hearing test with this metal thing where she hit it off her desk and put it by my ears to see which noise was better and she put it between my eyebrows in the middle. she said my hearing is fine too. I said im worried I may have permanent tinnitus but she just burst out laughing and said I'm too young to get tinnitus.she didn't give me any medication and said if its still ringing in a week come back and we will have to sort some things out and do tests. The ringing is getting more frustrating and unbearable and I'm starting to panic because ive seen on google and even my dad said yes that there is people who have been left with tinnitus permanently because of an ear infection even after its cleared up. I cant stop shaking and worrying and crying and my parents are trying o sugar coat it saying it will go and its not life threatening but I know they are lying just so i will shut up. my dad said my stress is making it worse. but of course I am going to stress. ive had suicidal thoughts because of this too. no one understands and my dad keeps telling e to go to sleep BUT I CANT!!! he said I wont have tinnitus because tinnitus is caused by drilling and it is caused over a few years not a short amount of time. ive been off school for a we. ive had the ringing for a week and 1 day now. I want to hear silence again. I want to go back to normal. I'm a nervous wreck at the moment. I cant live with tinnitus if I do have it. theres no cure. I need help asap. I don't know what to do!!is the ringing caused by the ear infection I had or the loud music. btw I haven't used my earphones since the ringing started. apart from I did use headphones on a low volume for 3 mins music but that's it. pray for me pls that it will go away. I'm scared!

pls ignore the list that sent with my paragraph. my computer keeps glitching so random stuff from other sites appeared on the message. the big paragraph is what you need to read

Hi Niamh :)

Firstly, I know nothing we can say can change things for you but I just wanted to say you are not alone and some of the thoughts you are having are quite normal for those first experiencing Tinnitus, whether it be temporary or continuous.

Please reach out and speak to the Tinnitus helpline as I feel they are the only people who fully understand the depths of Tinnitus. Unfortunately, doctors sometimes don’t have a clue.

If possible, please ask your parents to read articles on Tinnitus. In particular those from official sites such as tinnitus.org. Some sites talk absolute nonsense. This way hopefully your parents can have some kind of understanding rather than sugar coating.

Tinnitus can come go or stay. I know it’s really difficult but please try not to overly worry or stress yourself because whilst you do have Tinnitus now (that could subsided) any kind of stress will just make it worse. I am speaking from experience. It’s obviously okay and normal to cry but try please try not to fixate on it all the time.

from experience when I first got symptoms, boy was it loud. It’s not that loud anymore. The loudest of my T I think is personally down to how much attention I give it. Which sounds weird because how can you block sound from your ear? but honestly you can lower it by trying to do the things you normally do. Minus playing loud music.

I understand everything is easier said than done. Don’t be too hard on yourself you are just experiencing something different than what you are used to.

I am here, we are all here if you need us. We are all on our Tinnitus journey whether that be temporary or permanently.

Again, please reach out to the Tinnitus helpline and tinnitus.org. They have helped me.

I hope I helped in some way xo

Thank youHiya. Great news. The ringing wad getting worse today and I was stressin loads. I had no sleep at all. Then my ears were hurting because of my earings were causing my ear lobes to bleed and get infected. My dad said that the earings could have caused my ears to throb therefore causing my ears to ring. I took the earing out. Then they started to bleed a bit. Then I put on youtube Tinnitus sound relief therapy and I've notied that the ringing noise is starting to fade and get quieter. Is that temporary because of the sound relief therapy or is its actually causing my left ear to get better and make the ringing die down

The ringing had become unnoticeable only in my bedroom then tuesday when I woke up my right ear popped and now I have the ringing in my right ear as well as my left. It's getting louder and I'm on the brink. I just want it to go. It's ruining my life

That’s great news! In all honestly I'm not sure but that sounds really positive that you were able to soothe the ringing xo

the ringing is back again more high pitched and moving into the right ear. now I'm panicking. apparently tho.my bf, his uncle was a doctor and I told my bf everything who then told his uncle and he said it will go in about 2 months. and my bf was listening to loud music when he was 13 then had ringing in his ears loud and high pitched but then went away 7 weeks later.

but I think I'm just focusing on the ringing so much that I'm thinking its in my right ear

I also find when I pay lots of attention to my T it 100% gets worse. I've had moments, when I've enjoyed my day where I have totally forgotten about the ringing.

Have you had a chat with the Tinnitus helpline yet?

EvEryone has all these opinions which isnt always helpful. By speaking to someone who has more experience with T can be more useful.

0800 018 0527

Thats the helpline number xo

I can't hear the ringing anymore only if I focus on it.I'm on week 1 and 5 days with the ringing so it wouldn't go that quick so if I give it time surely it will go?

Don't worry too much, just throw your earphones away. You will be better.

did u have otitis media ? see your prescription. fluid gets collected in middle ear . that causes T as it obstructs sound . This fluid dries up in 16 weeks. The condition u have is called ASOM.doctors can take out the fluid but they let it dry. for depression take 1 mg ssri per day. throw ear phones. get a hearing test. if no hearing loss you have ASOM.

You may also like...