Cured for years; recent relapse - British Tinnitus ...

British Tinnitus Association
3,379 members2,122 posts

Cured for years; recent relapse

Got bad hyperacusis (and T) back in 2011.

CBT and white noise generators pretty much cured it completely. Was so happy.

One relapse in 2015 - lasted about 6 months. Gradually went away.

New relapse last month for no apparent reason.

Some exposure to loud music, sure, but nothing unusual in my life.

Maybe recent difficulty in my relationships = stress = relapse?

Any tips appreciated. Sending positive vibes to anyone who has suffered. Not fun!

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Having same problem, its probably stress as I'm back in after a bad health issue.

1 like

Hi Don, can we talk and work on this together mate. I'm in Australia, no help here, we could trade notes.

1 like

Keep going Muddo! Really inspired by Hayley’s post below - have a look

I've always thought stress is the number 1 culprit for onset and spikes of T. Look at Julian Cowan Hill on you tube. I believe stress caused the onset of my T and stress relief has helped me habituate. I have no hearing loss or damage at all. My symptoms get worse if I'm stressed now, for sure, but I don't worry. I always feel it's going to settle again and it always does. Anxiety over the symptoms is so counterproductive, but I know it is easier said than done to be chilled about it. If you haven't listened to JCH then please do. Emotional reactions effect everything physical. Also look at Joey Remenyi on neuroplasticity. Sorry if this is old news, I've only had T for 10 weeks or so and newish to this forum x

2 likes

Wow this is so great Hayley - will be checking out these names today. Have just been to gym and doing well-being stuff definitely helps :)

1 like

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. X

1 like

You may also like...