British Tinnitus Association
2,829 members1,821 posts

Im new here today! tinnitus following microsuction

had 2 bouts of microsuction a week apart. I noticed that in between the 2 sessions, a buzz was now accompanying the still totally blocked ear. Ear was then cleared a few days later but now 4 days on buzzing has remained and intensified on day 4. Ear still feels slightly tender - i had 2 weeks of zero hearing and intense pain from the impacted wax so fully expected to have some soreness but obviously concerned about the buzz! I know there is some controversy about the safety of the procedure..has anyone experienced temporary tinnitus following microsuction or should i expect to be in this for the long haul. Any comments appreciated..thank you kindly!

12 Replies
oldestnewest

@stuartjames71

Please specify if you were asked to use ear drops (wax softener) ?

Most of us got our tinnitus after era wax removal whether through syrringe method or micro-suction as in your case.

The culprit here as far I know is ear drops that we are given to soften up the wax as my guess (in fact i m pretty sure about it) is that they are designed to create artificial hearing loss as they sap all energy from ear canal muscles that help us listen and thus causes a "EAR FATIGUE" which in turn starts a buzzing sound which intensifies later due to unlimited attention it gets.

The unlimited attention then brings subconscious process (in this case tinnitus) to become conscious there by we start to see tinnitus which goes loud and loud as the attention increases.

The very first step required is to go "silence" and shun all audio video so that your ear canals get rest.

healthunlocked.com/bta/post...

and yes you can avoid the long haul 'if you can avoid tv/music /audio' for next few weeks and also avoiding headphones is a must.

So you're saying earwax softening drops cause tinnitus? Am I understanding that right?

You need to keep your wild theories and convoluted 'solutions' to yourself friend.

I would keep your fingers crossed over the next weeks and hopefully it will settle down. I would also respectfully suggest ignoring any drivel Sunil starts firing your way.

Now my question is that, there is anyone here who did use EAR DROPS FOR WAX softening but has not got hypercousis or tinnitus or ear fatigue ?

To me it looks like they wanted to create an explicit hearing loss by weakening ear canal walls through ear drop that contain turpentine oil so that they could sell hearing devices but then they got 'TINNITUS' as a bonus ailment reported from some of patients

How on earth can ear drops cause tinnitus???? This condition is possibly either caused by damage to the tiny hairs in the cochlea or it is a neurological disfunction - both areas on the other side of the ear drum where the wax softener cannot go!

The world is certainly louder after either syringing or microsuction and hearing does need to settle down after either procedure.

Hello and welcome to the British Tinnitus Association forum. Do feel free to ask any questions, I hope that you find this a helpful and supportive place to help you manage your tinnitus.

We have some resources that you might like to check out in addition to our home here:

tinnitus.org.uk

- especially our information on ear wax and ear wax removal, which should reassure you and answer your questions - tinnitus.org.uk/ear-wax

takeontinnitus.co.uk

Helpline 0800 018 0527 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm) (outside the UK you can call +44 (0)114 250 9922)

Warmest wishes

Nic (BTA Communications Manager and Forum Administrator)

Thanks for the info guys. Still buzzing and get a whistling sound accompanying every footstep which takes a bit of getting used to. Ear still feels tender (although hearing seems great!) so will see how things go over the next few weeks... got a ENT appointment Thursday so will hopefully get a little more detail then.

Give this 12 weeks. Dont sit in a silent room. Play light music or move around in Market.

ENT didnt seem to take much interest. Said ear drum looks fine, it can take a while to settle down after microsuction for impacted wax, 10 days was far too early for any concern. I kind of went along with it as hissing was zero yesterday, but of course its back full blast today!

Hi there,

Ive had my hissing 6 months now following a left ear irrigation. Now in my head though. It rarely seems to fluctuate and has NEVER gone to zero. Personally I would take hope from the fact that yours has gone, albeit briefly. If it can do it once ?. The brain really is a pain in the rear end...well mine is as no matter how hard I try my brain looks for it. If Im engrossed however I dont hear it. Seems nigh on impossible initially but try and not listen for it.

Good luck,

Shell

1 like

My son had the same thing that lasted for 2-3 months and then vanished for ever. Its normal. Don't listen to loud music at all but dont sit in silent environment. Just focus on your life and do some Yoga for 2-3 months ..

1 like

Hi, I am going through the same thing like you now. I had microsuction 10 weeks ago and got horrible tinnitus after that which caused so much stress that I was put on antidepressants. I can confirm that is better each week, it is quiter and quiter during the time, so I believe it vanish. I had my ears blocked long time and wax cloth in my right ear was quite deep inside the canal. So, I think ears need to adjust as everything is much louder now. I also practice the below exercises which help me tremendously.

I wish you all the luck with your recovery.

Renata

You may also like...