British Tinnitus Association
1,954 members1,470 posts

Good Tinnitus Consultant in SW

Hi All,

Does anybody know how to find an ENT doctor who specialises in the assessment and treatment of Tinnitus? I am based in Dorset and so south west is better but will travel for the right person. NHS preferred but I will pay for the right person. Adverts for private clinics don't name consultants. I am not rich and don't want to pay and end up with an also ran.


6 Replies

Sadly in my 17 months of looking and seeing various ENT dr’s I don’t think there are any, they mostly just say put up with it , move along, if you do find one let us know and we can form an orderly line!

1 like

Thanks. I don't expect help from the BHS but if I'm paying I want somebody good.


Fingers crossed for you, ironically if I’d have gone privately it would have been the same ENT, they were spectacularly useless so at least I didn’t waste any money, just hope!


Hi lizzieflint. Your best plan would be to see you GP and ask for a referral to Audiology who will assess and discuss treatments (there are departments in both East and West of the County). You may have to see ENT, but is the Audiology department who generally give out sound devices and help. The major disadvantage of NHS is the waiting list. Good luck

1 like

I have been down that route and am now looking privately but still hard to find a specialist.


Hello and welcome to the British Tinnitus Association forum.

Our Helpline 0800 018 0527 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm) (outside the UK you can call +44 (0)114 250 9922) can give details of NHS services in your area which you can share with your GP - they can also be reached on

We don't keep records of private specialists - most work within the NHS as well as within private practice - but we have details of our Corporate Members on our website, these people have signed a commitment regarding supporting people with tinnitus.

Warmest wishes

Nic (BTA Communications Manager and Forum Administrator)


You may also like...