British Tinnitus Association
1,406 members1,231 posts

Hot cup over ear - any other ideas welcome , please

Hi folks. I haven't been on for a while , and don't like posting something that's not positive , sorry. But any suggestions would be gratefully received. My tinnitus is so painful that I've been sat with boiling water in a mug ' alongside' / over my ear to try and bring some comfort . Should be at yoga but don't think they'd like it for health and safety. When I try and explain how it feels to my GP , she doesn't get it and only offers anti depressants even though she says I'm not depressed ! It's the nerve endings , but no idea what can help. Sorry , but no one gets the pain of it

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Hmmm. Ever since T came my way, (left ear only) I have liked to sit with the sun hitting my left ear on the rare occasions that the sun gets serious about heating up Scotland, usually 2 or 3 days a year!

1 like

That made me smile , thank you . A lovely image of the sunshine ( especially after the awful weather this past few days) ; and also as I have an Aberdonian mother and spending my childhood summer holidays in Aberdeen my grandparents ( in the 1970s when package holidays were beginning to be popular and other families were getting to Spain etc !)

1 like

Hi Lindsay, sorry you are still suffering. I find it so unbelievable that what is called a noise in the ears or head can be so painful ....... when T happened to me 3 years ago and the pain got worse and worse, the GP prescribed Co-Dydramol tablets 500/10, to be taken two at a time, four times a day. When the pain became even more unbearable I used to put an ice-pack on the top of my head.

Nowadays, I think that if I have a headache which is probably related to my T, I take 2 of the over the counter paracetamols.

Angela xx

1 like

Thanks Angela . You are always so kind and supportive. I will ask GP re these . Hope you're O

ok ? x

Thank you Lindsay, yes I am having a quieter time, provided I don’t irritate my T. I do care about nice folk, but my halo slips when I wish that all those evil-doers in this troubled world could be sentenced to a lifetime in solitary confinement with the sound of tinnitus 24/7.

Love

Angela xx

Hi Lindsay,

I am sorry to hear you're suffering so much not only with tinnitus but with actual pain. I have discovered that a very hot steamy bath seems to take the edge off mine but I have no idea why! I can't spend all day in the bath though so I sometimes use my wife's facial steamer to try and get the same effect and it does help a bit. I am also on anti depressants although I am not depressed but they also act as a sedative so I can at least get a decent nights sleep.I hope you manage to get some relief from it soon. Best wishes.

1 like

Thank you - it's comforting to know others understand. I have read that steam can help - I have a free pass to one session at the local leisure centre's sauna , but me in a swimming costume ( or bathers as we say here in Nottingham) would be too shocking for other users !

S** the others Lindsay, your comfort comes first! Enjoy that sauna. ;0)

2 likes

You may also like...