Lack of alcohol =hunger: Hi all. As I... - British Liver Trust

British Liver Trust

27,478 members13,875 posts

Lack of alcohol =hunger

Falco1 profile image

Hi all. As I have cut my alcohol intake down by well over 75 % due to liver issues I find that I am becoming more hungry at night. Need to find some snacks to eat at night that are low in saturated fat and will fill me up. Don't want to go for my next blood test in November and have a good ALT reading this time by drinking less unlike last time but as a trade off be like 2 stones heavier in old money terms. Any tips appreciated. Thanks

68 Replies

You would be surprised what seven or eight almonds will do to curb your appetite.

Also pistachios are a great bed time snack. Just one ounce of pistachios contains 6 mg of melatonin so will help you get sleep too

Yogurt with granola

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to MLB_77

Thanks for reply. Will give them a go. Also finding it difficult to get to sleep when don't drink aswell

As 75% is very good if you have liver issues 100% is the only way to help yourself it sounds like you haven’t quite got it in your head and really that is where you give up . The not sleeping and hunger is all part of the giving up alcohol because your body is asking for the calories, you probably like chocolate more now than before, it’s not an easy road to give up alcohol but trust me it’s worth it good luck. If you go to your doctor he may well prescribe Fresubin it’s a little bottle of protein drink it’s what I use, my thoughts are with you on your journey 👍.Stay Safe All

Dogbot 🐶🌈

Thanks for reply. Apparently issue I have with liver is fatty deposits. Been told can still drink but in moderation, as the excessiveness brought on my af episode. Hasn't happened since drinking a lot less and have modified my eating habits. Yeah last night couldn't stop eating and took long time to get full. Will see if can get the protein shakes. Thanks.

Hi there As someone who’s been through cirrosis I’d suggest giving up Alcohol completely if you’re having liver issues

I knew my Alcohol intake was damaging me and buried my head in the sand about the symptoms I was experiencing, don’t regret like I do about making the changes now

As far as hunger is concerned I’d say increase your protein during the day as it was a game changer for me prior to having a liver transplant

You are on here because you’re worried obviously, so take some of the advice off people who have been through this and make the changes

Wish you well all the same

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Rockefeller20

Thanks for reply. Will eat more protein in the day and try to build up calory intake that way to stop my excessive eating and hunger at night

laura53923 profile image
laura53923 in reply to Falco1

Make sure you exercise daily to burn off extra calories you may be taking in from eating more. With the extra protein you are taking in, regular daily exercise will ensure you keep your muscles strong. But definitely give up the booze completely to ensure your liver condition doesn't worsen. Heathy eating, exercise and no booze can actually fully reverse liver damage. So take good care of yourself from now on.Laura

Trust1 profile image
Trust1Administrator

Hi Falco,

Well done on loosing weight and starting to make some important lifestyle changes.

However, If you have a liver condition, its worth knowing that alcohol consumption can potentially worsen it.

Regarding diet, you may be interested in our new updated publications, I will link them below:

britishlivertrust.org.uk/wp...

britishlivertrust.org.uk/wp...

Best wishes.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Trust1

Thank you for reply and sending links.

Trust1 profile image
Trust1Administrator in reply to Falco1

You are very welcome :)

Quite pleased with BP readings just took 130/83 and 126/87 but have put on 1 pound since Monday. Hence need to find non fatty foods to snack on in the evenings!

sophiaS1980 profile image
sophiaS1980 in reply to Falco1

I see on ever reply you didn't say anything about the big elephant in the room (drinking), instead you talked about snacks. Any doctor that told you to cut down on drinking with fat in your liver isn't a liver doctor or he doesn't think you can completely stop alcohol on your own and should have suggested an alcohol treatment program. Good luck!

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to sophiaS1980

Hi thanks for reply. Are you meant to completely stop alcohol if you have fatty liver? When was in hospital was told don't have cirrosis so can drink in moderation but was important to cut down to normal recommended level.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Falco1

And to address the fatty foods was eating

Yes, you should completely stop alcohol, anyone with a fatty liver should, you shouldn't be drinking in moderation. Fatty liver can turn into cirrhosis.

Falco1 profile image

Thanks for reply. Consultant at hospital never mentioned totally stopping. As my ALT was 169. Hmm think a phone call to hosp is warranted now to see what they are playing at.

Some things are just common sense ,if you were hospitalized due to your ALT being high, which is liver specific, wouldn't you say to yourself, stop what's causing the problem with your liver. Your consultant isn't responsible for you using common sense. I hope you listen to what people are telling you, good luck with your healthy snacks.

Falco1 profile image

Was hospitalised due to af then had routine scan and detected fatty deposits. Without being medically trained would expect the professionals to say what lifestyle changes to make. Will make lifestyle changes and get some answers. Thanks for reply and supportive words

Ok, I tried. GL

laura53923 profile image

Yes give it up ... it's poison !

laura53923 profile image

Unsalted popcorn

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to laura53923

Will try that Laura thanks. Don't mind unsalted popcorn

laura53923 profile image

Great. All the best x

briccolone profile image
briccolone in reply to Falco1

yep they look alright-BP readings will come down if you avoid alcohol-take it from me and in my experience it doesn't take that long. I'm 66 now and my BP is 115/78 despite being a bit on the heavy side.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to briccolone

Hi thanks for reply. Bit heavier than what my BMI recommends myself so need to work on that

I find a bowl of porridge with skimmed milk really helps before bed.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to hells456

Thanks hells456 will give it a go

Hi

Iwas given this leaflet by my dietitian. Some quite useful information on bedtime snacks!

Hope this helps!

Leaflet
WelshieM profile image
WelshieM in reply to WelshieM

Leaflet
WelshieM profile image
WelshieM in reply to WelshieM

Leaflet
Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to WelshieM

Thanks WelshieM much appreciated. Will read through them now

Hi mcvities rich tea biscuits only have o.3 sat fat check it as other rich tea are higher I watch my sat fat too there's some crisp type snax too I'll check I like teddy bears lol light and easy to digest not much in them what kind of food do you like I only eat east to digest food as have chewing issues 🤗take care oh and can I ask how much you drink I keep cutting down but it builds up again

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Hi thanks for reply. I like savoury food rather than sweet food. Give me a sausage roll over a bar of chocolate any day 😀 drinking the recommending 14 units a week that is government guidelines. Do like rich tea biscuits will pick up a packet

hells456 profile image
hells456 in reply to Falco1

For savoury evening snacks I like toast with pate or meat paste or bovril.

Falco1 profile image

Guna go and pick up a few snacks for tonight. Toast and pate sounds good. Not sure about Bovril though😀

hells456 profile image
hells456 in reply to Falco1

Mmm beefy!

in reply to hells456

Marmites good 🤔for some 😁on toast 🤮not for me mam likes it tho

Falco1 profile image

Don't like bovril😒

in reply to Falco1

How about peanut butter on some no sugar crackers 😁

in reply to Falco1

Here's the teddy bears lol

😁
Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Teddy bears crisps sounds good. Def not peanut butter though urghh lol😀

in reply to Falco1

So you won't fancy the new marmite peanut butter then 😂

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Not a chance!!! lol

in reply to Falco1

Actually it's really good just taistes like peanut butter 😋

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Too sweet for me. Like savoury rather sweet. Eating low sat fat foods now incl veggie due to fatty liver. Made a mean veggie chill the other day from a mate's recepe.

in reply to Falco1

I have kidney beans vegetarian mince tomato pasata garlic I don't have sweet tooth I read the meditaranian diet good for fatty liver 🤗

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Have tried the veggie mince but do put kidney beans in my chilli. Will look up med diet as don't know much about it

in reply to Falco1

It's red peppers and courgettes garlic really nice stuff like that

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Cheers. Will def give it a go. Will my veggie chilli use red kidney beans onion mixed veg, tin tomatoes, tomato chilli sauce and chill powder.

When I quit drinking my sponsor told me to keep chocolate or candies close. They really helped to curb the alcohol cravings. Some of my favourite healthy snacks: veggies and hummus, yogurt with fruit and chia seeds, Smoothie, just get creative!

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Gabe61

Thanks Gabe61. Yeah there must be plenty to snack on if I get looking . Def more of a cream crackers person than having a sweet tooth

Foxdud profile image
Foxdud in reply to Falco1

Yeah I was till I packed the beer in now I love chocolate!!!!!

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Foxdud

Unfortunately pork pies sausage rolls etc do it for me, but cutting that out now.

Foxdud profile image
Foxdud in reply to Falco1

I’m a cook in a butchers all day cooking bacon,sausage pork pies ,sausage rolls etc etc + all fillings for pies it’s a nightmare I love my savoury stuff I take a salad and fruit to work and watch the good stuff go to the customers 😂🤣😂

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Foxdud

Wow that sounds good, but you doing the healthier option which is best😀. I work with boring numbers being a book keeper, but least not temped with what is in front of me luckily lol

laura53923 profile image
laura53923 in reply to Foxdud

😋☹

in reply to Falco1

Please don't eat them too much sat fat 🤗

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Have to be careful with the E numbers i am working with doing the accounts. Yes terrible pun 😀

in reply to Gabe61

When I stopped drinking for 3 month's I had chewy mints etc I eat so much sweet stuff never before would i entertain them I realised in end I'll get diabetics I quit the sweet stuff had crisps and early nights I went into non alcoholic drinks too 🤗

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Think I actually enjoy the non alcoholic Stella than the real thing now. Much smoother.

in reply to Falco1

When I stopped drinking I had to have a non alcoholic beer to sooth me just the smell helped and I guess it was a habit turning to it for comfort I moved back home thought was in control but still binge when upset lately I been so bad I need to move away from this house bit can't live with mam again I think I'll go to AA I went once last year there lovely

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Sorry to hear you are having issues at home to deal with. Good you are not using the bottle to deal with things, and having the non alchol instead I don't think non alcohol will automatically lead back onto the real stuff but does depend on mindset and will power of individual

in reply to Falco1

Actually I have been back on it I was ref in to past when I decided to stop completely I lived at mam's had no choice I'm not very strong willed I'm afraid but I don't drink all time on off I have chamomile tea lol I had recent upset never got my old job back and house issues I moved back here and have PTSD from things that happend shouldv stayed at mams as 3houses have come for sale since I moved back near her and now another one but mines not for sale now as I've moved back oh I feel like giving up not the Boise I need it just everything I'm off to sleep now my cats got slow heart beat and tired all time another blow 🤗😺

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Sorry to hear you are going through a lot at the moment. I joined this site in July and found there are a lot of supportive people here who can help and give guidance with a lot of things.

in reply to Falco1

My cat pixiebob

🧡😺
Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Wow nice pic. I am a cat person too funny enough. I know most of the cats in my area who know me now incl the owners and my brother's cat. My previous cat lived to 18 years old before had to be put down in 2015 due to cancer. Broke my heart!!!

in reply to Falco1

Sorry to hear that yes so so lovely my pixie follows me everywhere I fell over him last year when was in bad place hurt my ribs my god the pain my dad died just after that I had rats from a nebours broken drain in my ceiling took over year to get her to sort it it sent me crazy so I lived with mam oh sorry for long story just off to sleep now I've had nearly full bottle wine take care hope can keep ib touch 🤗😺

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Nice chatting with you. Take care. Yeah stay in touch cool.

You may also like...