Stress and relaxing.: Hi I was recently... - British Liver Trust

British Liver Trust

27,552 members13,904 posts

Stress and relaxing.

Falco1 profile image

Hi I was recently in hospital due to A.F which was believed to be due to alcohol consumption. After liver scan was told had fatty deposits on liver also ALT reading was high. Had stressful day today so had a few beers. Wondered what you guys do if stressed rather than having a beer. Was doing well since post hospital 2 weeks ago, and hopefully today just a blip. Thanks

19 Replies

Don’t forget about the simple power of taking a deep breath.

Also, alcohol doesn’t really relieve stress that it gets credit for. I would stock your fridge with a bunch of fun flavored sparkling water/ AF spritzers, etc.

At night I love having a cup of hot tea.

These things far more relax me more than alcohol ever did for me.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to MLB_77

Thanks MLB yeah do like a variety of fruit drinks and alcohol is a habit when stressed. Will buy other Non alcoholic drinks for fridge and next time stressed will reach out for them

in reply to Falco1

Exercise exercise exercise..... best stress buster there is be it a power walk, yoga or installing a punch bag and beating the 💩 out of it ! But avoid the beers at all costs that will only fuel your stress .

All the best

Laura

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to

Thanks Laura. Yeah next time get a blip will do some fitness. Better alternative.

in reply to Falco1

Not just when you get a blip. Make it a regular daily hobby it will really help you to avoid getting blips. 🏌️‍♂️⚽️🏋️‍♂️🚴‍♂️🏊‍♂️⛹️‍♂️🚶‍♂️🏃‍♂️🚶‍♀️🏃‍♀️💪

Hey Falco,

Blips happen. Is there something you like doing or have thought of trying that would distract you for a bit? If someone asked me if years ago if I had tried yoga or meditation it just irriated me, but now I find them really useful. Walking helps too. Sorry if this isn't much use to you. I had an eating disorder and only know what it's like trying to kick an unhealthy cycle. Can relate to how difficult that is if anything. Maybe speaking to your GP about any therapy courses they have?

Take care.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Koosh

Thanks for reply koosh. Yeah was doing well last 2 weeks. Need to understand blips do happen. After few hours sleep actually feeling bit better now. Will do some meditation next time feel as I did last night. Thanks again.

Having beer will work but only for a few hours and then will wear off and make you worse. I used wine every night to make me relax and now I’m terrified I’ve made myself ill. At the end of the day, I have realised nothing is worth putting poison down your neck. Beer, wine, spirits are all alcohol and best avoided. Hope you can find another healthier way to relax, good luck! I walk my stress off.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Worrysome1

Thanks for reply. Think will avoid alcohol now and only have it socially than use it if have a blip

Hi Falco1 My story is on this site and I think the others are fed up with it, but I was an alcoholic gave up nearly 18 years ago first thing I found was there is a lot more hours in the day to fill up. So I took up golfing and didn’t do the 19 th except for a cup of coffee and a chat , now I’m not saying take up golf but you have to find a hobby be it walking, yoga, or any of the thousands of things you can try. If you have a dog walk it or just walk yourself. The one thing I can say is that it’s a very bumpy road you are taking and it’s not easy find someone to talk to so when you feel it getting to much phone them or go see them. You will find a lot of help on this site there are some wonderful thought full people on it, I wish you all the best but no one gets through this without help. Good luck 👍😃

Stay Safe All

Dogbot 🐶🌈

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Dogbot

Thanks for reply Digbot. All lot of good advice have been given by others and yourself on this site. Thank you

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Falco1

Dogbot

in reply to Dogbot

Can't get fed up with a story which is relevent to the forum and testiment to how you can rid yourself from alcohol and turn your life around .Laura xx

Dogbot profile image
Dogbot in reply to

Thank you Laura I hope you are well xx

in reply to Dogbot

Very well thanks. Hope you are too xx

Hey Falco,Dropping by to to see how you're doing today? Please don't feel like you need to reply if you're not up for it, just hoping you're alright. 😏

Kx

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Koosh

Hi Koosh thanks for your text. No beer tonight and have felt good not having one😀 Gina try a fitness session tomorrow and hope a f don't come back. Hope all good with you

Koosh profile image
Koosh in reply to Falco1

That's great to hear! The workout will be fun I'm sure 💪 Might not feel like it at the time (if you're anything like me lol) but I reckon your body will thank you for it.Kx

You may also like...