Plant based foods. : Definitely been... - British Liver Trust

British Liver Trust

27,460 members13,864 posts

Plant based foods.

Falco1 profile image

Definitely been jumping in with both feet the past week in eating plant based foods and quite enjoying it except for a plant based burger tonight in which had to disguise taste with tomato ketchup. All a learning curve😄

36 Replies

I enjoy more plant based burgers that are just made out of veggies/bean/quinoa over just the “fake meat”. I had an excellent plant burger tonight.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to MLB_77

I guess it is just trial and error to see which brands etc you like and dislike. Definitely experiencing less bloatedness with plant based foods for sure

Akiralee profile image
Akiralee in reply to Falco1

If possible, instead of eating processed food such as fake burgers, should try opt for real foods such as non-processed food like vegetables and fruits. We will never know the addictive, preservative or any chemical that was being put inside the fake burgers that make it has a longer shelf life. Understand we will have some cravings once we made the switch, we can do in stages to omit fake meat and go 100% real food to get the highest impact and see how it progresses on our liver over the long term.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Akiralee

Thanks for message. Actually starting to like fruit and veg more now. See what you mean regarding process food.

Fab! ❤️

Keep at it! I have been vegetarian for a few years and changed to plant based whole foods a couple of months ago and have felt health benefits in many ways. My right side pain has also gone. It’s a big transition turning to vegetarian never mind fully plant based. I recommend buying packs of Heinz lentil curry etc, learn to make hummus (pretty easy) and you can add this to anything for taste as a dressing. And buy a good vegan cook book and learn how to cook vegan. For me personally I went from being quite reliant on processed foods such as the Heinz lentil curry to not using processed at all - but it took a while!

A really regular meal for me is brown rice, a can of drained pulses ( butter beans are fab), chopped veg ( spinach, peppers, kale - whatever you have in the fridge) and a big dollop of hummus. Or soy sauce is also lovely. Some people like balsamic vinegar.

Breakfast - porridge and berries (I use frozen) and maple syrup is lovely.

This is a long post but I just wanted to wish you well and let you know plant based does not have to be complicated.

Keep at it!

Glad you are starting to feel better. Thanks for the advice. Will write down the list of foods that you have said and when go shopping later will purchase them. After spending the last 10 years or so eating sausage, burgers and the odd bit of veg thrown in every month or so it's definitely a transition, but which I have to say I am enjoying, apart from the plant burger last night ( won't mention make incase I offend the manufacturer) and held my nose whilst eating it😄 but other plant stuff I have enjoyed. Thanks for advice

What other benefits have you felt? . I am trying to reduce my processed food intake. What foods are good to reduce inflammation of the liver.

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to jazzgirl80

Have found less bloatedness and gas since changing my diet also could be down to less alcohol aswell. Have been generally looking at food labels and going with low saturated fat options aswell and purposely eating more fruit and veg as well as trying to convince my mind it is a big fat juice cheese burger when it clearly isn't 😄

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Falco1

As well as vegetarian and plant based foods have been buying

laura53923 profile image
laura53923 in reply to Falco1

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👏👏👏

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to laura53923

Liked ur emoji's Laura hope you are well😄

laura53923 profile image

😉 very well thankyou 👍Love your humour 😀 xx

Falco1 profile image

Thanks much appreciated😄 if you would have seen my face last night trying to eat that plant burger aaaaaaaaaa.😄 Been given some good advice on things to try, and picking up the lentil chilli later suggested by peniesforthem so hopefully taste better😀

laura53923 profile image

I am sure it will. Anything would taste better than artificial meat calling itself meat. 🤮Just make sure you get good portions of protein in your diet. But well done you're doing very well 😀

Falco1 profile image

Thanks for support. Hope u keeping well. Got a veggie curry with rice low sat fat. couldn't find penniesforthem curry pack. Have had eve too

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Falco1

Have good eve too

laura53923 profile image

Sounds great. You enjoy your evening too x

Falco1 profile image

Have good eve too

Bravo to you and to all of us following a plant-based way of eating. Eating plant-based has helped me keep my liver blood tests (all of them, ALT, AST, bilirubun, albumin, prothrombin time etc) in normal and even low-normal range since 2019. Every day, when I drink my green juice and eat my oats and bowls of brown rice and greens, beans or my gluten free pasta, I truly thank the pioneering doctors who taught us that plant-based eating is the natural way for us humans to eat. Now, my protein levels, to my surprise, actually are slightly higher than normal, I feel stronger, even-keeled. I also take Vitamin D, doctor's orders and a B12, just occasionally. That, and prayers, and supportive groups like this, have stood me in good stead so far, fingers crossed. Now, just want to add that, for some of us who are cirrhotic, your doctors may want you to also eat some fish (maybe salmon), to keep your weight up, so it's always best to check with your heptologist.

Thanks for your reply. Have found the people on this site very supportive and have given good advice. Have high motivation to change life style and what i eat and drink. Guess a hospital stay on an ECG machine with A.F. gives you a wake up call.

Trust1 profile image
Trust1Administrator

Hi Falco,

We just updated all our diet information, you may be interested to read it;

britishlivertrust.org.uk/wp...

Falco1 profile image
Falco1 in reply to Trust1

Thank you Trust 1, much appreciated.

Great to hear all these positive responses. This is my lunch today: brown rice, a whole can of kidney beans, chopped spinach, spring onion, a dollop of homemade hummus and a bit of reduced salt soy sauce. (I took the photo half way through eating it - hence the spoon). And yes, it is in a mixing bowl! I eat a lot on a plant based diet, you just eat till you’ve had enough. And you lose any excess weight.

Spinach, bean and rice bowl.

Thanks for the pic. That does look delicious. I am going to buy the Heinz lentil curry soup later you recommended on way back home from mate's house this afternoon. Will give Ur meal ago later this week as saved message with recepe. Enjoy!!!

Fab! If you stir fry some veg (mushrooms, pepper, red onion etc) or chop up raw veg (spinach, peppers, kale, tomatoes etc) and add it to the Heinz chill ( rice too of course), it bulks it out (as well as being super good for you and providing your body with with lots of healing nutrients). Never go hungry!!

Cheers. Def won't go hungry with these nice recipes. 👍

Ar it is a Heinz chill not Heinz chill soup? Makes sense

Yep it’s a chill

Lentil chilli

Couldn't find package in Sainsbury's but did buy this which is kind of similar and quite nice. Low in sat fat.

Dinner

And if you’re short of time/ feeling lazy 😛

Microwaveable rice

Whoops, just noticed it’s a CURRY!! Well I’ve been eating it for years, and always thought it was a chilli - ha!

Thanks for pics. Will see if they have them in my local Sainsbury's later.

tasty.co/recipe/tempeh-tacos

This is an excellent taco recipe, obviously you can adjust spices, etc.

I eat mine with can of low sodium pinto/brown beans

Falco1 profile image

Thanks MLB. Will give it a go.

Falco1 profile image

Sounds good to try

You may also like...