This is only my second post since joining after my partner became very ill. It is believed he has cirrhosis and has HE as complication. He is at home now, with the HE fluctuating. The fibroscan is delayed by about 4 weeks due to COVID and I have increasing concern about the HE, especially with the long wait to get results and adjust medication as appropriate. I called the BLT helpline for guidance as to what if anything could be done. The person I spoke to was of fantastic support, and suggested speaking to our GP to explain and hopefully facilitate with the liver team in the first instance. We had a call this morning with our GP and she talked through the concerns and will be contacting the liver team to investigate other medications that could be prescribed, Neomycin or Rifaximin. Thank you so much for your help.
Today has been a very difficult day, the HE very bad We have had the terrible news too within the last two weeks that from an MRI and PET scan my partner has a lung cancer, likely spread to an adrenal gland. He has a biopsy on Monday coming so will know more about prognosis and possible treatment. We are both very scared, and today I have found myself having a bit of a meltdown. But I have to stay strong, keep focussed and seek information, support and help as much as I can to keep the lid on.
So once again, a huge thank you to the helpline and all of you for your posts I read which really help me