I need advice on how to stop drinking? - British Liver Trust

British Liver Trust
18,900 members9,985 posts

I need advice on how to stop drinking?

Mallory-76
Mallory-76
15 Replies

I've been drinking for quite a few years now. And everytime I drink it seems like I binge drink. I've been going through alot recently and I think that's why I drink so much. I'm worried I have cihrosis but I'm only 20 and everyone thinks I'm nuts when I talk about it. I don't know if it's my anxiety or if it's even possible to have cihrosis at 20.. but I am a heavy drinker. I also used to be addicted to hard drugs also but ive been clean for over a year and would never go back. I just feel my liver could be in a really bad state for what ive put myself through. I also want to stop drinking but it's hard because everyone around me seems to do it. I drive myself crazy thinking my liver could be failing.. I just don't know what to do anymore 😔 I need advice

15 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
Hidden

Talk to your GP about your issues and ask for a blood test to see if you have any damage. They are the best people to advise you where to get help with your addiction illness. If you do have any liver problems, then everyone on this forum will be able to offer helpful advice and support.

Take care of yourself.

Mark.

8 likes
Hidden
Hidden

Its highly unlikely you have cirrhosis at 20 however you are right to be thinking about the long term damage you could be doing to your liver if you continue to drink the way you are. Talk to your friends about your concerns, wouldnt it be great if they could all look at it sensibly like you are? Discuss the long term damage you are all doing to yourselves and maybe you could all cut down and give up together. There are loads more places you could be going together and doing together rather than sat in a pub or club drinking yourselves into a stuper on a regular basis. But you can still go there and not drink although I'd say avoid it at this early stage as the temptation would be too great and pointless putting yourself under that kind of pressure!

You say youve been going through some tough times but that is no reason to drink. Alcohol will not solve any problems, only cause you more. It causes anxiety and paranoia it doesnt cure it. You are so wise to want to quit, the world is a far better place without it. Wouldn't you hate to look back in 30 years time, still drinking, addicted, with seriously damaged liver, kidneys and possibly on a waiting list for new organs thinking I wish I'd given up before i got into this state?

Speak to your doc about it, try to give up with your friends, if its a struggle ask about aa meetings etc. Its nothing to be ashamed of, be proud you've seen the light and now is the time for YOU to take control of your life and your health instead of letting the booze take hold of it for you.

I wish you so much luck. Please let us know how you get on.

Laura xx

11 likes
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Hidden

Hi Laura

Re your second para. I bet that there’s quite a few of us that look back 30 years and wish we’d given up/reduced drinking then! I know I do. If I had only listened to my mother instead of laughing at her about it! Oh me miserum...

Miles

4 likes
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Hidden

I was a nagging wife apparently. He just couldn't see what he was doing to himself or us. But I'm the 1 whose fit and healthy but was left a widow, bringing up 2 children !

Please people..... listen !

X

6 likes
Nictesla
Nictesla
in reply to Hidden

Very good advice Laura.

1 like
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Nictesla

Thankyou x

Isabelle2

Hi Mallory

You are quite right to be concerned simply because habits built up early in adulthood can become engrained. I would say that you should take the opportunity to drink some of the brilliant alcohol free drinks on the market. They are easily available in any supermarket. A posh tonic or ginger ale is just as nice as a g&t. There are also drinks such as seed lip which is like an AF version of a gin. Or you could just go with a nice orange juice. Remember in your age group it’s normal not to drink (all of the time) unlike those of us in our 50s have been used to drinking being the norm all of our lives.

I suggest you check out alcohol free groups on Facebook or soberistas.com if you want to quit it with others. Also there’s lots of quit lit by Annie Grace, William Porter, Clare Pooley etc.

Good luck and message me if you want.

Btw it’s great you are no longer on hard drugs. Once you’ve stopped the booze you will feel just as free - promise

Isabelle xx

8 likes
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Isabelle2

Well put Isabelle!

LAJ123

Hi,

You are really fortunate to be thinking about this at your age and not mine, when it was a little bit too late.

Giving up drinking was very easy for me as it was the beginning of a relatively short illness, which at 62, almost cost me my life, my five children their father and six people a brother.

Thankfully, due to a generous donor and his family, I lived to tell the tale.

As well as making full use of the British Liver Trust website, take note of 'snouties' and Laura's advice.

Trust me, there can be life and good times that doesn't have to include alcohol.

Take care,

Jim

10 likes
Popel

Hi There. the only advice I can give is if your having a hard time drinking then you should stop immediately or you’ll end back on this site talking about your decompansated liver and how your waiting for a liver Transplant in years to come.im impressed how you know what your doing is going to cause serious damage In that your still so young as I’m guessing most your age wouldn’t give their health a second thought. as when we’re young we think we are invincible.dont make the same mistakes lots of us on here have.wish you all the best.paul

5 likes
davianne

Hi Mallory, If you can kick hard drugs, then you can kick alcohol as well. Go see your GP, and tell him your concerns, and he will be very pleased to help. As Laura said it is unlikely you have cirrhosis at your age, so good on you for realising there might be a problem. For me, giving up was very easy,but only after a diagnosis of stage 4 cirrhosis, so for me, the horse had already bolted before I shut the gate. You will get lots of support here to help you. please don't listen to your peers, you are wise beyond your years, so good on you👍

David

6 likes
Grank

I have been told by another lovely young person that after addiction to hard drugs he increased his alcohol intake to make up for the lost hits.

It is a very sad state of affairs, but you are on the beginning of the road to recovery by accepting that you need to deal with the problem.

My young friend changed his life in several ways and has new people in his life who don’t depend on drink for fun. Easier said than done, but he seems very happy and well these days. He is lucky in that his partner supports him in abstinence. People often drink from loneliness (or fear of it) and having someone to support you in abstinence is key.

5 likes
moonbeam4

Mallory, Have you considered support from a group like A.A, i know they are not everyones cup of tea but there is alot of support out there now, I found youtube particularly helpful. You don,t mention whereabouts you are I don t think, but I,m sure there will be support locally. Your story is similar to mine, i,m 50 now and do have cirhosis. I would get to the Doctors and have a blood test ect ( possibly fibroscan and ultrasound depending on results) so you know exactly where you stand. By the way, have you been tested vor Hep C ?. important to know as this can cause liver damage , the good news is it is easily cured now. ☺

2 likes
Nictesla

I would strongly advise that you see your Doc ASAP. He may be able to get you into a rehab unit . and join AA or NA . I am an alcoholic and in recovery past 8 years. A lot of alcoholics are cross addicted drinking and doing drugs at the same time. I did. Your very young and you should be ok provided you get treatment etc, Your not the only one Mallory but fair play to you for joining this site I know it must have difficult for you. Don't wait until its too late like I did.

I wish you well and best wishes.

2 likes
Radnor

Well done for getting clean from drugs, its not easy but you did it. It sounds possible that you self medicate now using alcohol to dull what ever anxieties you have. Alcohol is a depressant so your in a vicious circle. You have taken the first step by realising you are damaging your health. It may mean changing your friends too because they don't have the same a clue about just how alcohol is an addiction for some. It should be on all drinks and all pubs but isnt. Be honest with your Dr and share all your anxieties and worries. If you binned drugs you have a strength within. This will be there for kicking alcohol. Rooting for you Hazelx

3 likes

You may also like...