British Liver Trust
12,097 members5,981 posts

worried bit of advice needed

Hi Everyone ive been drinking too much since my late teens and like everyone didn't worry too much as I always thought Time was on my side.ive been drinking most nights without any brakes and now I've turned 40 iam worried I have done damage to my liver , I had a private liver blood check done a couple of weeks ago because I was worried about the possibility Of damage to my liver ,they measured my ast and alt , my ast level was 28 normal range and my alt was 19 normal range .After reading up this does not always mean everything is ok , i had a ct scan a year and a half ago because I was getting really bad stomach pain and all organs normal no fatty liver . Is it possible that I now damaged my liver in a year and a half . I have no symptoms and feel relatively healthy, but past two days I have been getting really bad itching all over my body and I know by doing the dreaded google that is one of the signs of liver damage .

I know you guys are not doctors and that's who I should be seeing, it's really hard to get appointments these days to fit round work . Hope it's not too late to turn things round .

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi

I'm sorry that nobody on here can give you any answers to your question.

Whether you have damaged your liver or not by now, you are being given a wake up call and need to protect it.

Dr Google is notoriously dangerous. Yes itching is associated with liver problems but it is also associated with a multitude of other conditions.

You need to speak to your doctor about your concerns. Be honest about your drinking as you have here- you won't be judged by a Dr or by anyone on here.

I hope you get positive answers soon

Rita x

3 likes

I second what Mrs merlin has said a 100% go to your doctor 😷

1 like

Thank you all , going to see doctors and going to tell them what I really drink instead of the usual I don't drink that much . I didn't drink last night which must be the first time in about a month , thing is it doesn't bother me when I don't drink and don't really know why I do it . I think my body is telling me to stop and at 40 don't want to miss out on my kids lives because I didn't do something about it , finger crossed it's not too late .thanks again

2 likes

It's never too late to change and we are both 40 and it was the first birthday I could enjoy in 5 years all my late 30's I was fighting for my life.

Think about yourself and your children, you may be drinking out of boredom look into education or evening classes ☺

2 likes

You may also like...