A cheer for the parkrun volunteers - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K

15,329 members21,257 posts

A cheer for the parkrun volunteers

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10

Parkrun cannot run without its’ incredible volunteers and today Oldgirlruns was handing out finishing tokens, Coddfish was on timer duties and UpTheStanley was funnel manager, leaving me and Mr Coddfish free to run. Many Thanks to you all. More volunteers are needed with the COVID-19 protocols and it is as much fun as running, so if you haven’t tried either parkrunning or volunteering before , why not give it a go?

I had the most brilliant morning in Southsea, and lots of the locals were cheering us on and saying welcome back. The lady from the Council was impressed with the organisation of the run - phew. 😥.

It was so lovely to see everyone again - I am just buzzing.

53 Replies
Sybilw profile image
SybilwGraduate10

We had a good turnout (111) and the rain arrived on cue at 9!! Refreshing for runners but volunteers got wet (and cold)! Great to be back

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Sybilw

I bet the rain was most welcome after all that sunny weather Sybilw . We just had a bit of mizzle but our volunteers felt the cool south easterly. As a runner it was just perfect.

Sybilw profile image
SybilwGraduate10 in reply to Dexy5

Muzzle! That’s a new one on me. Is that like what we Scots would call smurring? That’s not as much as a drizzle but enough to get you wet!! As opposed to “stottin” which is rain bouncing off the ground. Regional weather words are so descriptive.

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Sybilw

Edited to mizzle- a mixture of mist and drizzle. 🤣

Beachcomber66 profile image
Beachcomber66Graduate10 in reply to Dexy5

Sea fret in these parts!

AlMorr profile image
AlMorrGraduate10

Well done to you Dexy5 on running with Mr Coddfish today which was your first official 5k Parkrun for nearly a year and a half, also congratulations to Oldgirlruns, Coddfish and UpTheStanley on their various volunteer duties, I think parkruns in The Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Wales will return sometime in August.

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to AlMorr

Yes 14th August for Scotland and Wales I think Al. I’m sure you’ll be there for the first one. 🏃‍♂️

Well said Dexy5 I was volunteering at Bognor this morning, handing out finish tokens like Oldgirlruns 🙂👍 We had a fantastic atmosphere and everyone was so friendly🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️😊Volunteering gives you a different perspective on Parkrun and it’s a great way to show support for your fellow runners and walkers. I’d recommend it if you haven’t tried it yet - it’s a great experience!

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to David_G

Well done David_G. I’ll be cheering 📣 at the turning cone in 2 weeks, which I love doing because everyone is so pleased to get to the halfway point. 🤣🤣

GoGo_JoJo profile image
GoGo_JoJoModerator

Lovely to see people enjoying being together again. 💖

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to GoGo_JoJo

Our event director was very nervous before the start, but it all ran smoothly. Lots of big smiles

👏👏👏👏👏 how fabulous to see, you are reminding me to sign up as a volunteer. (But our nearest one is a bit away, so it has to be planned in with the family)

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to CBDB

Having a family does make things more complicated CBDB. Sometimes they like join in too - but can’t be guaranteed 😂

I'm still buzzing and I was soooo pleased there were some lovely people that volunteered to make it happen. I am so very grateful

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Couchpotato2

Great to see you back at parkrun Couchpotato2. The volunteers were in great form at ours today.

Couchpotato2 profile image
Couchpotato2 in reply to Dexy5

I had a dancing one!

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Couchpotato2

🕺

JonathanP profile image
JonathanPGraduate10

Well done to all parkrun volunteers and especially the Southsea crew - keep that hip rested Coddfish !👍

Coddfish profile image
CoddfishGraduate10 in reply to JonathanP

As you can see, I chose a duty that can be done from a folding chair. I reckon if Team GB are good at sitting down sports then I can join them.

RunaroundSue profile image
RunaroundSueGraduate10

Thank you. From a barcode scanner.Running next week

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to RunaroundSue

🏃‍♀️👏👏👏

Cmoi profile image
CmoiGraduate10

How lovely, happy Parkrunning to all those who do! 👍😄

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Cmoi

It’s great to see you enjoy the excitement through us even if you can’t do it in France Cmoi (and we do get very excited) 🏃‍♀️🇫🇷

Cmoi profile image
CmoiGraduate10 in reply to Dexy5

I'm genuinely pleased for you all as I can see the joy it brings.

However - and I know this is sacrilege - I'm relieved my nearest one is hours away, as it really doesn't look like my kind of thing. So many people, so much organisation, so much repetition, scheduling and timing, so much commitment.

That's all to the credit of the organisers, volunteers and runners, but much of my adult life has been all about that, and now I've had enough. Running is my "me time" and I've no desire to turn it into a programmed social activity. 😱

Doesn't mean I'm not happy for those who love Parkrun though! 👍

cheekychipmunks profile image
cheekychipmunksGraduate10

Indeed Dexy. We had a great crop of volunteers at Eastville this morning, and I made a point of thanking them all. I’ll go back to my once a month volunteering shortly too. I love it. 😀

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Well done you Cheekychipmunks. Have you got the lilac shirt?

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Dexy5

No, I’m only on 19 so far. Need to rectify that. 😀

Beachcomber66Graduate10

Brilliant to see the gang back in action! I can feel the excitement up here!!

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Beachcomber66

🦋🦋🦋🦋 were you out today BC?

My HM plan called for a 13k today, so I stuck to the schedule. If I had gone for a park run I would have got caught up in the excitement and run too fast! Boringly responsible!!🙂

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Beachcomber66

Very sensible BC, as the GNR needs preparation, but I hope your plan calls for a speedy 5k sometime

There is a tempo run and an intervals run each week ( don’t tell cheeky!!), so I may be able to adapt one of those.

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Beachcomber66

Jammy BC! I’m converted to intervals and I even quite enjoy tempo runs too. Hill repeats are the best though. So much fun! I adapted intervals into (not) PR several times. 😀

Beachcomber66Graduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Oops, sussed!! 🙂I am keeping the pace down on the intervals; not the kilometre long 5:30 pace runs which gave me the knee problem. My fitness has dropped off this year through not getting enough miles in….getting there though.

No secrets get past me BC!

I think you’re being very wise. You know what caused your niggles which is the main thing. You’ll be right back to full fitness before long and the GNR will be yours! 👊

Beachcomber66Graduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Today’s run was 87m elevation gain. Next step is to get back into the 150m bracket…they have taken out the South Shields end of the GNR for this year and the run now starts and finishes in Newcastle….I think that means more elevation gain!

😳

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

And we will be waving Pom Poms Beachcomber66

😳 that makes it seem real!! I have only done one 10k road race. Perhaps it is really going to happen!!😬

Fionamags profile image
FionamagsGraduate10

Lucky you to be back to your Park Running. I still have the wrist band I bought during C25k in mint condition. A few weeks yet for us.

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Fionamags

We shall be cheering you all on in August Fionamags 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

damienair profile image
damienairModerator

I’m going to try and get Tailwalker for my return to parkrun and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Well done Volunteers.

Sandraj39 profile image
Sandraj39Graduate10

So pleased for all you Parkrunners Dexy 🙂 - it’s great to see this return! I have only done one official Parkrun, although I do sometimes run on my local Parkrun course. Think I might have to give it another try sometime soon; my OH used to go quite regularly but was off on a long run this morning (marathon training😬🤞). I might go along with him next time he goes… Well done to everyone and good to see lots of first time Parkrunners too!🙂

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Sandraj39

Do go and tell us all about it Sandra.

BaddieThePirate profile image
BaddieThePirateGraduate10

Yay, Parkrun returns. You didn’t mention breakfast?

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to BaddieThePirate

You know us so well baddie 😂. I did mention on Damienair’s post, but yes we went for breakfast afterwards and I had avocado on sourbread toast and poached eggs 🥚 🥚 🥑 🍞

UpTheStanley profile image
UpTheStanleyGraduate10 in reply to BaddieThePirate

Breakfast was entirely up to standard Baddie ✅😀

BaddieThePirate profile image
BaddieThePirateGraduate10

Yum yum

WillowandSola profile image
WillowandSolaGraduate10

I’ve never run a park run and i may never run one but it’s so good to read all the park run posts again, feels right to know it’s back

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to WillowandSola

It does feel right now W&S. never say never…….😃

Oldgirlruns profile image
OldgirlrunsGraduate10

Didn’t we have a good time Dexy - and breakfast too!

Coddfish profile image
CoddfishGraduate10

The best bit was seeing all the smiling faces. Plus catching up with a few people I haven’t seen for ages.

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Coddfish

And seeing the relief on event director’s face when everything went ok

You may also like...