APRIL QUEST - The Final Week: Hello Running... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K

14,944 members20,350 posts

APRIL QUEST - The Final Week

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10

Hello Running Buddies

How have your April Quests progressed over the past week? Do let us know. I am a bit early this week so feel free to delay your replies until you’ve achieved your aims at the end of April.

cheekychipmunks and I hope you have all enjoyed being part of the group this month, it's been great fun having you join us both for our debut appearance.

We understand roseabi has another 2 guest hosts lined up for May, but we will keep you in suspense for a little longer...... 🤫🤐

I’ve really enjoyed my running this month because, with the relaxed rules, we have been able to go further afield to run in new places, on different terrains, and reunite with other running buddies. Cake and breakfast may also have been involved. 😋. I’ve managed to run 3 times a week, including a weekly (not) parkrun and incorporated a 10k run and some speed and hill work. We won’t talk about the strengthening exercises I’ve failed to do, but there’s always next month...... I’ve finally seen some real lambs, although they are getting quite big now.

Also, well done to everyone who has contributed to the HU relay to The Cape of Good Hope. This pic says it all.

Enjoy your last few days of April

Lots of love,

Dexy5 and Cheekychipmunks. 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

Monthly quest: healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

End of Week 1 post: healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

End of Week 2 post: healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

End of Week 3 post: healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

--

What is the Quest?

The aim of the Quest is to help you find a focus or goal that you would like to achieve by the end of the Quest period.

The Quest takes one calendar month. You can join at any point during that time.

Some popular goals are:

★ To run three times a week

★ To slowly increase distance

★ To train for a specific race distance

★ To add Stretch and Strength exercises to your weekly routine

This is a personal challenge, so it's completely up to you!

88 Replies
cheekychipmunks profile image
cheekychipmunksGraduate10

Yes, I agree Dexy5, it’s been an absolute pleasure co-hosting the Quest this month. Thanks to roseabi for putting her faith in us, and well done to all you awesome Questers on your fabulous achievements. 🎉🎉

I’ve been good and stuck to mine. And I’ve enjoyed it too! I vowed to do a weekly JogRunSprint session, my nemesis, but what’s made it fun is incorporating it into my (not) PR 5k. I’m happy with the results too; I was surprised to see that despite slow jogging the 5 minute warmup and cooldown sections as well as the pauses between sets, I was only 1 second off my (not) PR PB and about 30 seconds off my actual PB. It shows I can shift if I need to! 😅

Enjoy the last few days of the Quest everyone. 🥰

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Yes , your parkrun buddies will get a shock when it returns Cheekychipmunks. Who is this new person sprinting for the finish line? 😉

Oldfloss profile image
OldflossAdministrator in reply to cheekychipmunks

Thanks for hosting this and well done on your progress too! Wheeee! x

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Oldfloss

You’re more than welcome OF! Believe me I’m still not speedy - if I do go fast, it’s only for a very short time! 😅

Coddfish profile image
CoddfishGraduate10

Not really anything to report fitness wise that you don’t already know. Done some more swimming plus a session with the PT, made more excuses not to go running (trip to Tunbridge Wells / Maidstone, trip to the Hawk Conservancy, visit to Hillier Gardens, visit to Bosham, walk in Forest of Bere, meetings onsite at the charity where I am a Trustee). Will be out on Friday, probably still working on the hamstring recovery.

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Coddfish

Ha ha , so many things to do! We were at sir Harold hillier gardens yesterday- don’t tell me we were there at the same time! See you on Friday at (not) parkrun. SBC booked.

Coddfish profile image
CoddfishGraduate10 in reply to Dexy5

We were there today, at the Hawk Conservancy with Mr C’s sister yesterday. It rained at the gardens today. We got home to find not a drop had fallen here. We also bought a couple of pieces of art from Paul Sansone, we have a couple of his pieces from previous years.

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Coddfish

We had the rain on our side of town, probably because the washing was on the line. ☔️

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Coddfish

That sounds like a fun week Coddfish, whether you ran or not! Hey, you still did PT and swam. 💪 🏊‍♀️ Look after that hamstring, we need you back fighting fit. 😀

GoogleMe profile image
GoogleMeGraduate10 in reply to Coddfish

That sounds like a fabulous and active week.

nowster profile image
nowsterGraduate10

There's what I posted at the start of the month:

* Run every other day (where possible), even if it's just a short easy jog. Running more often occasionally if I feel like it.

I've had to break that pattern due to skirting the Injury Couch, and taking some extra rest days.

* Make sure I walk on any day I don't run, even if I don't feel like it.

Tick.

* Enjoy running in the mornings again (which I do).

Tick.

* Avoid injury. Notice when something is more than a minor niggle.

I had a close call with the HM attempt on Saturday. Fate forced me to stop at the 14.5km mark, on tight thigh muscles which were starting to cause knee pain on downhill slopes. I've recovered from that now, but a separate groin problem is trying to surface today.

* Run a total of 100km in the month again. I've succeeded in this the last two months

Strava says I've done 148 km this month.

* Increase distance gradually. I reached 10 miles in March.

On hold due to the above problems.

* Achieve a half marathon near the end of the month.

Close but no cigar. I peaked at 18km.

* Don't overdo it. Be sensible. Know my limits. Nothing is worth hurting yourself.

And that's where I am today. I'm resting tomorrow. I'll do some core and minor leg muscle strengthening exercises before running again.

In other news I have gradually been getting faster in my shorter runs and am continuing to lose weight even though I'm eating more. I'm now back at the weight I was at half my current age (but a lot fitter than I was then).

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to nowster

Well done nowster, you’ve made a valiant effort at your Quest, but 100% did the right thing by pulling up on your HM attempt. It’s a long way, but it’ll always be there for you. I’m sure you’ll get there before long, and adding extra strength and flexibility exercises will definitely help. 💪

Really well done on the weight loss! And what a plus being able to eat more! Go you. 👏👏👏

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to nowster

There’s no shame in skirting the injury couch nowster, listening to your body and taking extra rest days is so important .

You have covered an amazing distance in one month, despite you having to change tack so well done you.

Oldgirlruns profile image
OldgirlrunsGraduate10

Hello questers! My questing hasn’t gone quite as well as I’d hoped but we press on and there’s always next month! I’m still doing the physio’s exercises but the hip remains stubbornly resistant to healing totally so some days it’s ok and some days it’s still uncomfortable. So building back up to 5km is going to take longer than I thought! Hey ho!

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Oldgirlruns

Awww OGR, that hip needs a kick up the backside (not literally, that wouldn’t help!). You want to get running, especially with PR looming. But you’re being sensible of course, and not pushing it, and I’m sure you’ll be rewarded before long.

Keep up the brilliant work. Look forward to seeing you soon. 😀

Dexy5 profile image

I hope that you are sorted soon Oldgirlruns, but you are doing the right thing in sticking to the exercises and not overdoing the running. I hope the introduction of swimming will help and keep your fitness levels up.

CBDB profile image
CBDBGraduate10

Can’t believe it’s end of April already! 😱I seemed to have forgotten to post last week, but first BIG THANKS to you both for hosting this months quests. Fantastic job and I loved reading and simultaneously getting motivated to keep on keeping on!

I seemed to have done what I set out to do, but have to admit I feel like losing a bit momentum.

I think this has to do with work ramping up, and related to this is my current quandary how to arrange my mornings with having to chose between Yoga or running.

If I don’t run in the morning than a run is more likely to not happen as my work stuff is often full on.

And if I don’t do Yoga in the morning, the evening yoga becomes a bit of a drag.

So far I still have managed to do a daily yoga and 2 to 3 runs per week. But I haven’t quite found my weekly pattern for this season, or at least one that I am happy with.

So I think that’ll be my next months quest, to somehow find a way forward so that I can put my own internal uncertainty about this to rest.

Anyway, it’s been so great having you do the monthly quest! Big thanks!

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to CBDB

You’re packing so much in CBDB! I can’t even imagine juggling a busy job with running and exercise in general, so hats off to you doing everything you do! ⭐️

Could you rejig some of the yoga videos on the calendar to coincide with the length of run you have planned? As you well know, Adriene has some very short ones which you could intersperse when time is short, then maybe go for a longer one on an easier day? Also there’s no need to stick rigidly to her calendar. You could go off piste and make your own yoga playlist. 🧘‍♀️

Have fun, you’re doing an amazing job! 👏👏

CBDB profile image
CBDBGraduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Awwwhhh🥰🥰🥰

... but coming off the calendar 😱😳😱😳😱😳.

I have to admit I’m seriously addicted to the calendar and have dragged my poor husband into my addiction. (Yesterday’s session we only managed to do at 11pm just before heading to bed!) So not quite ready to fully let go of that immensely for me motivating security blanket. 😂😂

But I’ll be exploring my options and that may be an answer. I might just try on days I want to run in the morning to only swap in a very short yoga practice and use that as warm up before running. Or stretch post running. Mmm... 🤔 you got me thinking now .... that might be something that could work, thanks! 🙏😘👏👏

Adriene would want you to “find what feels good” after all! 😅

I never used to use the calendar, I’d pick my favourites. But it’s so much easier having the decision made for us isn’t it? However, she has loads of short videos (I assume you’ve done her 7 minute pre and post run ones for example?) which might take the pressure off on a run day. Have fun, I’m sure you’ll find a solution ! 🧘‍♀️ 🙏🏻 🏃‍♀️

CBDB profile image
CBDBGraduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Ooh, that might be a really nice solution. I have come across them but not thought to use them that way.

That’s it! Thank you C! My next months quest is all set and ready to go:

- have experimented with replacing daily yoga calendar practice with post- or pre-run yoga to fit in both yoga and running in the morning!

👏👏🙏🙏👍🏽

Yay! Hope it works out for you. They’re great little sessions, nice and bendy! 🧘‍♀️

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to CBDB

Thank You CBDB. Yes where did April go?

I found doing yoga every day with Adrienne was much easier in January when it was cold outside, we were in lockdown and nothing much else was going on in our lives.

Cheeky is definitely the expert on this subject and picking appropriate sessions to link with your runs sounds like a great idea. I didn’t know Adrienne did specific pre-run and post-run videos, I might have to investigate

You have done brilliantly keeping you and hubby on the calendar all this time. You must have both noticed a difference in your abilities .

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Dexy5

Adriene has quite a few runner-based videos Dexy. They’re all really useful. 😀

Dexy5 profile image

Thanks cheeky 🧘‍♀️

GoogleMe profile image
GoogleMeGraduate10 in reply to CBDB

Now you are familiar with yoga, can you do a 'personal practice' of the asana you find most beneficial, just a short little thing that might be less than 10 minutes but easier to fit into your life and then do longer classes when you feel the urge?

CBDB profile image
CBDBGraduate10 in reply to GoogleMe

Yeah, that’ll be my next step I think. The calendar is quite a security blanket but you are right, I‘m ready to practice ‘naked’ (only metaphorically speaking, of course) 😁😁💪🧘🏻‍♀️

GoogleMe profile image
GoogleMeGraduate10 in reply to CBDB

I am given to understand that naked yoga is quite the thing.

CBDB profile image
CBDBGraduate10 in reply to GoogleMe

🤣🤣

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to GoogleMe

😱

sparky66 profile image
sparky66Graduate10 in reply to GoogleMe

And naked gardening 🤣 As seen on( This Morning ) this morning 🤣

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to sparky66

My town garden is definitely not the place for that!

sparky66 profile image
sparky66Graduate10 in reply to Dexy5

🤣 mine either 🤣

CBDB profile image
CBDBGraduate10 in reply to sparky66

😱

LottieMW profile image
LottieMWAmbassador in reply to CBDB

There are some short ones this month...you could mix and match...so not totally off calendar...

RunWillie profile image
RunWillieGraduate10

Hi Dexy5, cheekychipmunks and fellow questers,

Firstly a big thanks for hosting this month’s quest. I don’t have heaps of time to post or comment on everyone’s running adventures but I really do enjoy being part of the monthly quest. It’s a great motivation for me to keep setting goals and I love reading everyone’s weekly reports. Thanks so much for all your work this month 🥰

Here’s my report 👍🏻

My quest was to run consistently 20miles per week with a cut back week at the end of the month if required. I’ve finished up today on 80.5 miles which is an average of 20.1 miles per week. I’ve been at 80 miles now for the last two months so maybe I need to reassess my 100k monthly target going forward.

I couldn’t do my long run on Monday as we were still in lockdown with an hour restriction on exercise. We’ve also had lots of smoke pollution from planned back burning so the cut back week was well timed at least.

No lambs seen this week but a few dolphins 🐬🐬🐬❤️🏃‍♀️

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to RunWillie

Hi RW, you’re very welcome, it’s been lots of fun hosting, and I’m sure Dexy agrees! 😀

You’ve done so well with your consistency, and those are great distances you’re running. Shame about your long run, but it’s good to cut back sometimes, as you know. Hope your restrictions ease before long, and the smoke disperses. It wouldn’t do you any good inhaling that. 😷 Happy running! 😀

RunWillie profile image
RunWillieGraduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Thanks cheekychipmunks 😀you too x

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to RunWillie

Oh yes we have had fun doing the quest, and I am amazed by how much everyone is achieving this month. You have covered a considerable distance in a month which included school hols and watching out for all your boys. Very well done you.

Dolphin spotting sounds wonderful too. When I used to sail, I loved watching🐬 🐬 swim around the bow.

RunWillie profile image
RunWillieGraduate10 in reply to Dexy5

Thanks Dexy5 😀

Dolphin spotting is wonderful 🐬🐬

Beachcomber66 profile image
Beachcomber66Graduate10

Despite the quality of the support I achieved only partial success and took one step back in the direction of a certain couch which shall remain nameless as I am trying hard to avoid it!! I did my 10k two weeks ago, which was good, but 6lb weight loss turned into 2lbs! I feel more “trim” though so better than nothing. I think that calf niggle is probably achilles tendinitis. Yesterday was long run day, and my calf didn’t feel too bad, but having made a physio appointment for Friday I thought why not go for a 10k walk instead; so I did. Possibly worth a post and maybe a photo rather than extending the length of this stream!! Great month’s work by you and Cheeky 🥂🍸

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Beachcomber66

Thank you Beachcomber, and it has been a pleasure being on watch while you have been carefully increasing your running again, and avoiding that nameless couch. You have come a long way and sound more confident in your running .

I did a bit of hill training this week (UpTheStanley post) and I was definitely feeling it in my calves and achilles. I thought of you and your regular runs through the forest hills.

Good luck with your physio appointment; it sounds like heel raises for you now ....... 😉

Cheers 🍸

Beachcomber66Graduate10 in reply to Dexy5

And dips!!

Beachcomber66Graduate10 in reply to Dexy5

I haven’t got back to my hill runs yet; that is the next step. Still on the nursery slopes !!

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Beachcomber66

I’m doing a special “Keep BC off that darned IC” dance as we speak BC. 🕺 I hope all goes well with the physio tomorrow. The fact you’re recognising the merest niggle is good, and I’m sure you’ve nipped this little so-and-so in the bud. 👊 🏃‍♂️

Beachcomber66Graduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Hope so CC thanks; 🙂 It feels ok this morning. Just weighing up whether to go for a trot in the morning so that the physio can locate the pain more easily. Decision for tomorrow. 👍

Oldfloss profile image
OldflossAdministrator

What a happy month you have had...I can see the smile from here!

Thank you, both, for keeping me so focussed this month...I have taken my time and completed all but. Week 9 Runs 2 and 3.

I was due to do Run 2, but was called a week earlier for my 2nd Covid injection on Friday 23rd. ( Yeay!!!). Husband and I jabbed together:)

No side effects at all except for slight tiredness on the Friday p.m. and Saturday.

But, as I am still building up from my October slump, I am taking no chances, and the advice re running after vaccination is so varied and extensive, I just do what I always do, listen to my body and it said... "no hurry, little snail ":)

So, wonderfully, I am back here in my other happy place for a week or so...and all things being equal I shall complete those runs here! Perfect:)

I have persevered with my regular routine of strength and stamina work... snippets here and there from the terrific stock of ideas from the S and F site and CBDB 's great links, ( she is awesome), and my personal favourite routines. Bodyfit with Amy and YWA.

I have enjoyed the routine and the great support from folk here; it has taken me longer than 9 weeks, but I determined there was to be no pressure. Just listening to my body and mind.

I am in much more in control of my overthinking, putting weight on, slowly, and ( to the delight, I know of some of my friends on here, who think I am seriously weird), am slowly getting to like the taste of chocolate! My strength is returning... stamina too... all positives, but there is still some way to go.

So, I shall be moving on to other exercises and exercise patterns next week...but I shall post more about that later :)

Thanks both !

Happy, safe running everyone and well done All fellow Questers! xxxxx

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Oldfloss

Woohoo OF, what a wonderful month of Questing for you. It’s so lovely to see you back enjoying your runs again - and you’re no snail (spoken by a true snail!) 😂

Great that you and Mr OF got your 2nd vaccines together. 🥰 I have a 2nd vac “date” with Mr Cheeky on 2/6. 😀 I guess everyone’s side effects are different, so it’s a case of listening to our bodies - which we runners are already used to doing.

Keep up the phenomenal comeback. We love having you running with us! ❤️

CBDB profile image
CBDBGraduate10 in reply to Oldfloss

🥰😘🙏👏👏👍🏽

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Oldfloss

Oh it’s so good to hear that you are enjoying your running again Oldfloss and so very close to another C25K graduation.

2nd vaccination done too - that is definitely something to celebrate.

It’s good to know you will be able to enjoy being by the sea for a week or so too. Watching the sea in all its guises is so good for body and soul.

Well done for a successful month all round 🏃‍♀️🐌

Tom-cat profile image
Tom-catGraduate10

My quest for 2021 is to run 500 miles in this year. Having gone through C25K near the end of 2020, I carried that momentum forward into the current year. Running three times a week, my run buddy and I, slowly but surely extended our Monday run ever further until the end of March saw it extended to 10K. We have continued through April, adding 4 further 10K runs in addition to our two other runs on Wednesday and Friday of 5K. Bad weather during January had reduced my initial distance, but subsequent months have boosted the total. Currently, after four months, my total run distance stands at 194 miles. Healthily ahead of target. As an overweight 63 year old, I had to set a realistic target.

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Tom-cat

Welcome to the quest Tom-cat, and well done on your achievements so far. Look out for the May Quest in a few days time and you can set out what you want to achieve next month, and let everyone know how you are doing each week.

As a fellow 63 year old I’m very grateful I found running while there was still time to turn around my health and fitness . I also love parkrun.

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Tom-cat

Wowsers T-c, you’re making fantastic progress and it sounds like you and your run buddy are enjoying yourselves too. Keep up the excellent work. 👏👏👏👏

Hedgehogs123 profile image
Hedgehogs123Graduate10

Thanks for organising this, I love a challenge!! My goal was to increase my pace and try to get closer to the sub 30 for my 5 km. I'm getting closer, but still not quite there☹️! I'm told that when we get Parkruns back, it will spur me on and increase my speed. I do get competitive!!😁😁🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Hedgehogs123

Oh yes, there is nothing like parkrun to spur you on. We are all waiting with baited breath for those Saturday morning runs.

I always start my watch as I cross the line, as the parkrun clock starts when you can be some way back.

Having said that, sometimes I forget the clock at parkrun and just revel in being in a big running group, chatting to people along the way, giving encouragement.

The closest I have got to the illusive 30 minutes is 31:15 , maybe it will happen, maybe it won’t. But I will keep trying.

Hedgehogs123 profile image
Hedgehogs123Graduate10 in reply to Dexy5

Ooh thanks for the tip re starting your watch, I'll will do the same as in chasing that sub 30 for sure, so every second counts!!!🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Hedgehogs123

Of course I should point out that parkrun is a run, not a race, 😂

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Dexy5

Why didn’t I think of that watch trick? I wonder what my PR PB would have been then? Currently it’s 33.31 at Stratford and I was towards the back with Flossie!

Dexy5 profile image

Some people start a watch with the hooter just to make sure that the parkrun time is close, but I like to know my actual running time. It’s personal choice cheeky. ⏰

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Hedgehogs123

Wow, Hedgehogs, if you’re close to sub 30 without PR, you’ll certainly get closer once it starts back up. Keep up the good work - and remember we’re all here to congratulate you when it happens. We love a party! 🎉🎉🎉

dijep profile image
dijepGraduate10

What a brilliant month people seem to be having, even the weather joined in for part of the month and was really showing some spring sunshine.I think my quest had been 50 % achieved.

I've not run since the 14th which seems a long long time ago, so my 2 running quest just didn't happen.

On the plus side I have kept up my daily squats and plank routines and since my physio appointment I've been doing my daily exercises that she gave me so I'm giving myself a ✅ those as well.

Second physio appointment next week so I'll see if I'll be allowed to run after that 🤞

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to dijep

No need to regret not achieving a quest when injuries are involved dijep. Well done for getting on with your squats and planks as well as your physio exercises.

Good luck with your next physio appointment

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to dijep

Well done dijep, especially for keeping up those squats and planks without being able to run! Good luck with the physio appointment. Let’s hope you can resume running soon. 😀

Shake-and-run profile image
Shake-and-runGraduate10

I will write a full post in due course but just to let you know that I did it,, met my target and ran continuously for 10k. Good luck to everyone else out there chasing their quests and thank you ladies for hosting it.

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Shake-and-run

I saw your triumphant photo on Strava Shakes! How fantastic was that? I bet you’re still on cloud 9 this morning! 🎉🎉🎉 Really well done, you’re amazing. 👏👏👏👏👏

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Shake-and-run

That is fantastic Shake-and-run! I know how much effort you have put in to achieve this . Very well done to you. Enjoy some celebration . 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🤸🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🍾🥂

GoogleMe profile image
GoogleMeGraduate10

My goal was a run/walk every day. It's early morning on 30th so I don't have that in the bag yet but no reason to think it won't happen (🤞it's a run) I had one day this week when I forgot! It was a very busy day (my Mum's birthday, lots of logistics) However, as I have had several days when I've got in two sessions of running or walking, I'm happy that I've achieved the spirit of the Quest.

I'd've liked more running in the mix but it was there and I did a lovely 5K last week.

Thanks so much to Dexy5 and cheekychipmunks for the diligent interest and support, it really helps!

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to GoogleMe

Fantastic Quest GM, you’ve smashed it, well done! Hey, mums’ birthdays are important! 😅

It’s been great co-hosting the Quest this month. I’m sure I speak for Dexy5 in saying that we’ve both really enjoyed encouraging everyone on their journeys. 🥰

Dexy5 profile image

Ditto

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to GoogleMe

Well done getting out every day (but one 😂) GoogleMe. The nicer weather at the end of the month certainly made it more pleasurable. Running or walking, it’s all good for you.

BlackScorpion profile image
BlackScorpionGraduate10

April has not been my best month running-wise. A stitch in the belly, a stomach bug, migraine and another stitch in the belly make that I have run way too little in April. I do hope May will be a better month for me. The problem is also, the less I run, the less I am in the mood to run. So I sincerely hope that in May I'll get my running mojo back, can avoid the stitches in the belly and can add some kilometers on my running shoes!

I did participate in a real virtual race, but despite it going well, it did make me doubt whether I will ever do a real race. What on earth can a snail do in a real race? It's fun to participate, but I am so not in the mood for remarks about my slow speed or about the fact that I Jeff. So my mind is not yet fully made up, but I think I am going to let races pass by and just keep to things like the Conqueror challenges.

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to BlackScorpion

Aww BS, you’ve had a rough time haven’t you? How miserable. Have you found out the cause of your stitches? 🙁

Please don’t be put off running in real races. It’s no one else’s business how fast or slow you are, and loads of people Jeff anyway. I’m certainly not fast, but I’ve embraced that. So don’t give up on the idea. Just enjoy running your way! 🥰

BlackScorpion profile image
BlackScorpionGraduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Well I honestly am not sure about the stitches in my belly. I THINK it might be because I ate something too close to the run? First time it was a dried date and this Wednesday it was a small chocolate Easter egg. It seems too small to cause a stitch, but I can't think of anything else. All is well walking to my starting spot and during my warm-up. But the moment I start running, already after 2 steps, the stitch is there to stay. I then try to keep running, but I just can't. Crossing fingers that it won't happen again, because it is quite off-putting to get into your gear only to crawl back out of it so soon without a run.

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to BlackScorpion

Sorry to hear that you haven’t been in tiptop condition BlackScorpion. I have had a stitch a few times when I have been trying too hard, and when I investigated , I found it could be down to not being fully hydrated , or not breathing well. I find that walking and taking some really deep breaths helps clear it.

I hope you would not experience any such comments during a race, I have only found excellent support from other runners or watchers. There is someone at my parkrun who Jeff’s the course, and she wears a T-shirt confirming this is intentional, and she often gets over the finish line before me.

If I recall correctly , you do not live in UK, but if you do have a parkrun close by , it would be good to try that when they return.

Best of luck with your running in May. Another month, another quest.

sparky66 profile image
sparky66Graduate10

I'm thrilled to report I completed my April quest challenges..50miles in April..✅

Increased my longest run distance ✅

Feeling great for it ☺️

New trainers ready for the new month 👟

Bring on The May Quest 🙏🏃‍♀️

Badge image
Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to sparky66

Congratulations sparky66 , 50 mile is certainly something to celebrate, and you got a virtual badge too. Well done. 👏👏

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to sparky66

Brilliant sparky! And getting a badge - even a virtual one - makes it all the better! 👊👏👏👏

sparky66 profile image
sparky66Graduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Thank you 😊 HM training next I think 😉

Frizzbomb67 profile image
Frizzbomb67Graduate10

I’ve delayed responding to this post because I needed one more day to complete all of my quests for April 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻😊10k completed in Week 2 ✅

75k in April completed in week 3 ✅ but today after adding 2k I actually managed 101k! ✅✅

I also needed today’s mileage to complete 30 miles in 30 days for Education Support’s campaign Strides against Stress. £75 raised for mental health services for those working in education ✅ #teacherssupportingteachers

Chuffed with myself as work has been crazy and, of course, family commitments must come first but in the gaps the running has gone very well this month 🏃‍♀️😊

Thank you Dexy5 and cheekychipmunks for hosting 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to Frizzbomb67

It’s been great to have everyone contribute to the quest Frizzbomb67 . It’s not all over until midnight tonight so you have paced it perfectly .

Well done on your fundraising. Mental health is so important at this time and I know teachers have had more than enough stress over the last year.

👏👏👏

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to Frizzbomb67

Phenomenal effort Frizzbomb, and perfect timing. You should feel mighty proud of this month’s achievements. Well done! 👏👏👏👏

As regards us hosting, I know we’ve had a blast doing it, so you’re very welcome. 🥰

UpTheStanley profile image
UpTheStanleyGraduate10

Well, having completed my personal running quest targets for the month last week ✅👍😀, I was under no obligation to kill myself this time around ... so, as reported at excruciating length elsewhere, I trotted round the 5th (?) hilliest parkrun course in the country 🤪 in just under 30 mins on Monday, and today led one of the quest mistresses out to the halfway point of a (not) parkrun, against the wind, in a highly respectable 16'50", providing a perfect platform for an assault on her PB. But 16'50" was too respectable as it turned out, with a subsequent outbreak of Jeffing, starting before we got to 3k, resulting in a slower inward, downwind half of 17'47". So my "coaching" quest, which the quest mistress doesn't recognise 🙄, remains unfulfilled.

Much more important, an e-mail of mine to the "Free, Weekly and Timed" podcast was answered by Vassos at great length - so I'm at least nearly famous!

Thanks both for taking this on this month - I'm well impressed by Cheeky's JRS exploits, and hoping Dexy's phone can be surgically removed from her right hand some time over the coming weekend.

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to UpTheStanley

Ha ha, you’ve had an excellent quest UpTheStanley . 5k target ✅, 10k target ✅, and hills.

So funny listening to the parkrun podcast . All these weeks we’ve been listening to it at 1.5 X speed! I just assumed Vassos talked as fast as he ran. 😂😂

34.40 this morning even with the jeffing.

cheekychipmunksGraduate10 in reply to UpTheStanley

Woohoo UTS, you’re coach extraordinaire and your achievements are something to behold. 🏃👊 Be nice to my pal Dexy - she’s allowed to dally with Jeff if she likes! I hear he’s a decent bloke! 😅

Dexy5 profile image

🤣

LottieMW profile image
LottieMWAmbassador

Hi here! 👋🏼

Managed to get to the end of April fairly successfully...

1)...dialled back on the run/walk 5k daily...but still achieved a daily outdoor activity of running or walking ✅

2) 10k daily steps...YES! 10k plus every day in April ✅

3) daily yoga...✅ Not always the one on the calendar...but a practice nevertheless 😊

4) Extra S&F on non run days...❌ Just too much...

5) I still need to be more consistent with bedtimes...latest was 00:30, so better than I used to be...

6) Trying my best at logging stuff...honest!

...so quite happy overall!

Thanks to you both for hosting this month 👏🏽

Dexy5 profile image
Dexy5Graduate10 in reply to LottieMW

Well done Lottie, you have done well and you’ve made me feel better as I failed on strength & flex too. I have no inclination to run every day, I’d never get anything else done! 🤣🤣

LottieMW profile image
LottieMWAmbassador in reply to Dexy5

👍😂

You may also like...