It’s Week 2 of Ju-Ju’s Magic Running Plan!!! 💥 - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
9,320 members • 11,139 posts

It’s Week 2 of Ju-Ju’s Magic Running Plan!!! 💥

Edit: NEW POST HERE!!! healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

Hi Magic People!!!!

How is the running and plankety-planking going? 😊😊😊

💥 THIS WEEK’S RUNS WILL BE:

Distance runs (to be completed in any length of time, and in any order you wish)

★ 3 km

★ 5 km

★ 6 km

or Timed runs (for those not yet ready to do the distances in the 10k Plan. Can be run in any order)

★ 15 minutes

★ 30 minutes

★ 39 minutes

See the INFO POST for more details, useful links, and the list of Magic VRBs 😊

healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

💥 Here's Ju-Ju's video where she talks about squats and intervals!

💥 SO, THIS WEEK’S EXERCISE IS SQUATS!!!

Squats are fabulous for the glutes, hips, hamstrings, quads, quads, and core!!! 😮😄 Optional as ever - but highly recommended!!

★ Here is my information about squats:

drive.google.com/file/d/1k6...

★ Do your squats up to 3 times a week - I suggest after you're home from your run, so your muscles are nice and warm.

★ 10-15 squats

★ And why not try including some planks to give yourself a mini-workout?

💥 INTERVALS

Increase your fitness by including some intervals in one of your weekly runs! An interval run includes short periods of running at increased intensity, between longer periods of easy running.

ALWAYS WARM UP WELL BEFORE A FASTER RUN - WE SUGGEST A 5 MINUTE BRISK WALK, FOLLOWED BY 5-10 MINUTES WORTH OF EASY JOGGING

★ This is the 30-20-10 intervals workout (you’ll need a timer of some sort):

Warm up, then do 30 seconds of jogging, 20 seconds of running a bit faster, and 10 seconds at an all-out sprint, five times in a row continuously. Follow that 5-minute routine with a 2-minute jog and then repeat the cycle two more times. Finish with a jog to cool down.

runnersworld.com/training/a...

Remember to treat yourself, and…

HAPPY RUNNING EVERYBODY!!!

roseabi xx

June 24th, 2019

Last week's post:

healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

118 Replies
oldest • newest

Thanks!

I failed dismally on the planks, only did them twice. Slightly easier than I thought they would be though, except the right side ones (left side was ok).

Still, I will try and keep them in my workout and add squats too :/ ick lol

3 likes

Twice is fine - I amended the post to say "up to 3 times a week" because of course it's a bit much to ask you all to work out after every run - especially the long one!!! Jolly well done xxx

I've completed week 1. I'm a beginner at Pilates so did the plank as I do it in class. However after the long run I cheated slightly and counted quickly on the last one!! I'm slightly worried about how much the times increase on the long run after week 2 so may increase the time by half and add in a few more weeks!

2 likes

It's not as bad as it seems. The increase is 6mins then 5 and 5. Just slow down a little. It's not a race :) Your legs are strong enough to do it. Don't listen to the gremlins trying to put you off track ;)

3 likes

I agree - go for it, you can do it!!!! xxx

Hi, week one completed and I did my first run of week 2 yesterday as I run every other day. Loving this plan 😁😁😁🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️😁😁😁

3 likes

Fabulous work!!!

I didn't manage to follow plan exactly. I did a 2.4k run on day 1, then a 4k run on day 2, then a 5k run on day 3. I did the planks though! Hope it stick to the plan better today

2 likes

That's not tooooo far off, and well done for planking! How did you find it?

Planks were OK, I'm struggling with the running atm but am planning to go for the 3k tonight followed by squats and plank! 😁

Running going well, planks not so much! Did my 6k run yesterday and although I went too fast on the first 2k's and was dying on the final one I managed to keep going, was so pleased at how my stamina has improved. My longer routes are worrying me a bit, I could only just eek out the 6k so will have to have a rethink for 7k!

3 likes

Why not planning 'only' 6,5k and if it's going well then do 7k. ;)

1 like

It's the route I'm worried about not the distance, I not sure where I can run as my normal route can't be extended much further.

1 like

That's wonderful - well done!!

Regarding your route, do you mean you only have a limited run-able area, or are you just not sure where to go?

Many GPS apps and map websites have the facility to draw routes on maps - do you use Strava, for example? Here is a link to one of the routes I planned out in Strava, not terribly exciting, but it serves as an example 😊

strava.com/routes/11390361

1 like

Yes lack of available routes is what I meant, I have a canal tow path but I’ve done that to death!! Lots of country lanes and lack of pavements and I’m not sure if it’s safe enough to run.

1 like

That is tricky! I wouldn't want to run on country roads without pavements either. Could you drive or bus to somewhere else perhaps? Otherwise, we must have a think about making your canal-path-circuits more interesting!! Do you listen to music/podcasts etc. for example?

Yes I listen to both, I walk the canal tow path too so know it inside out but I might just have to suck it up!!

1 like

Have to admit I am skipping the exercises and focusing on the running. Looking forward to the 39 minutes tomorrow morning.

3 likes

Well, they are optional of course! But also highly recommended 😊😊😊

1 like

Week one done and dusted. Unfortunately I’ve got an ache in one calf muscle. So I’m going to rest up for a couple of days to see if it helps. I tried ignoring it hoping it would go away and just carried on running but that has not worked. I’ve checked with Dr Google and I don’t think it’s anything sinister. I’m worried that if I carry on ignoring it and running that it might suddenly become a bigger injury. Running is not making it worse and it’s not making going to make it any better either.

2 likes

Hope it’s better soon 😳. Rest is best, as you say 👍🏼😃

1 like

Thanks Dottie. I remind myself that it’s not a race and being 1 week behind everyone else is okay.

2 likes

All the best, and that's very sensible of you - there's no rush! xxx

I'm with Stephen UK on this. I'm afraid I did no planks but I did manage the running. Hoping to do the 6k tomorrow even if it's raining!

4 likes

They are optional - but recommended! xxx

I got Norovirus last week and was so fed up that I could only do two of the first weeks runs but doing the last one tomorrow. Will start week 2 on Thursday, just a bit behind but still joining in. X

5 likes

Hi there 👋🏼 Sorry to hear you have been unwell. I’m still in week 1 too - just wanted to let you know you weren’t on your own...we can do this 💪🏼 Good luck for your runs this week x

2 likes

Aww thank you for letting me know I’m not alone! Your reply lifted my spirits. We can do this!! X

2 likes

Ooh that's nasty - take care of you xxx

For a start I thought we all had to dress like that 🤣 (now that would be fun)

Stuck to the plan for Week 1...Good luck everyone on Week 2 🏃‍♀️👍🏃‍♂️

5 likes

What do you mean? I <was> dressed like that for week 1... 🙃...

3 likes

Ha ha ! The facial hair is a winner 🤣

2 likes

😂😂😂

You do. Get that moustache sorted!!! 🤣🤣🤣

1 like

🤣🤣

Well what a day! Sooo very busy at work. Got home with a banging headache and really didn’t feel like a run. So a few pills later off we went only managed the 3K today but I’m glad I went and I’m looking forward to the next run. Think I’m going to leave the long 6k run for Saturday morning very early Saturday morning

3 likes

Well done for getting it done, you're a star!

1 like

Week 1 completed and long run of week 2 done tonight with my new running club.

I was able to opt in on a mixed ability hill training course, which was a very wet, very muddy, very up and down, very slow 6.8km round the Wrekin 😜👍🏼🥵. I Loved it.

It took an hour and I was not the slowest in group. There was lots of jogging on the spot rest points waiting for the back runners to catch up. It threw it down with rain most of the way so was doing some extra weight training too, but it kept me lovely and cool xx

2 likes

Awesome!!!!

1 like

Hi Rosebi and Ju-Ju-ers! I’m still back in week 1, have just completed the 5.5k and attempted planking (although plonking would be a more accurate description 🤪). Am determined to catch up this week. Feeling fab after my run tonight 💪🏼 Great to feel part of this team. Well done to everyone so far 😀

7 likes

Well done and the “plonk” really made me laugh Think we both “plonked” last week 🤣

2 likes

Plonking 😂😂

2 likes

lol, OK that's what we're calling it from now on 😄

1 like

My phone deleted this app entirely 😳😳 managed to get it all back though, did my 5 k this morning with my 4 legged friend, I felt my speed and endurance is improving, only wish planks were easier!! Happy running everyone 👍

1 like

Well done, that's fab, and the planks will start to feel easier eventually!!

My squats are better than my planking, but my dog looks very puzzled when I am doing them. 30 minute run tomorrow. I shall have to look at extending where I go with the map my run app as the thought of running up the dreaded hill twice is enough to stop me from going out of the door.

1 like

Ha, my cat gets that puzzled look too 😄

Good plan!

As l'm a bit behind l did my 5.5km run last night. Hard work in the humidity and very slow but l was elated when l finished. I will try to catch up this week!

2 likes

Well done, it's blooming hot!!

Oh l do planking after a run now anyway and a few other exercises, up to 45 seconds.

1 like

Cool!

39 minutes done. Full report here: healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...’s-a-gonna-fall

1 like

Morning all. Completed week 1 on Sunday chuffed with myself. Will start week 2 tonight. I’m switching from distance to time though, I’m a treadmill runner and after I had to update my Nike app I don’t think it’s recording distance correctly. Either that or I’ve shaved a minute off my per km time, I knew I’d speeded up a bit but not that much!

So I’ll do time just to be sure, looking forward to tonight’s run. Good luck all 🏃‍♀️ 🏃‍♂️ 😊

1 like

Good idea! xx

Well done to everyone so far:)

I did week one in the week before the plan started, just to see how it went. So in theory I was going to do it twice.

However I misjudged the 5.5k last week (ran in the opposite direction to the first week) and ended up doing 6k very badly.

So I'm about to start the runs in week2 "properly".

I'm having a set of personal training sessions alongside this plan so I'm doing her exercises rather than planks and squats, as well as some ankle mobility work.

She has prescribed intervals for the 3k run, supposedly on a treadmill which makes the timing and speed control easier. But I am going away for a few days and will be nowhere near a gym. Intervals in the wild!

I'll be running on the Dales Way in Wharfedale and so have bought some trail shoes in case I need them. Intervals this evening and hopefully 5k on Friday morning before we head home. That is if I'm not too tired from walking up and down Buckden Pike on Thursday 😥.

Sunday for the 6k.

Good luck to everyone running, planning and squatting. We can do this 😉

3 likes

Sounds lovely - looking forward to reading about it 😊😊😊

Just did my first run of Week 2, which for me was the short one of 3k. It's so muggy here, I was glad when a fresh breeze sprang up about halfway through. I have done 10 squats, harder than I thought they'd be! And I am proud to report that I can now hold the downward plank for a whole 30 seconds! My sideways ones are still atrocious but I will keep trying... 😅 Good luck to everyone with all of it, keep on keeping on. ☺

1 like

Well done, that's amazing!!! I went out for a bike ride earlier and the mugginess hit me like a wall as I stepped out of the door 😮

1 like

Week 1 done, planks and all. Week 2 - got home from work at 4:30 and the weather is really hot, so do I eat early and run later when it’s starting to cool, or get up early tomorrow?? I decided on the first option. Did 3k at 7pm, it was still really hot and I struggles but took it really slowly. Then went home and did 30 squats and added plank for good measure. Got up this morning and not only is it still hot but it’s pouring with rain, flood warnings and everything. Glad I ran yesterday!

At work now and just jogged up the stairs to lunch, wishing I hadn’t done those squats 😂😂

3 likes

Wow! And ouch 😂 Well done!! xx

A bit wet and muddy but 6k done this morning. The last half kilometre was a killer as gradient went up again slightly!

2 likes

Ooh, well done!!!

1 like

That is the best running pic ever! 😂

3 likes

😄😄😄

Just finished week 1 with a 5K (stupidly went at 1pm and was SO hot and humid out but managed it!) I’m a bit behind now but hopefully not a problem. Happy running all! 😃👏

2 likes

Great stuff!!!

Week 1 done, started week 2 and just ran my first 6km, feel great. Loving the plan

6 likes

That's so lovely to read, well done!!

Was going to do the 30 minute run today, but I felt really good so pressed on to 39 today. Thought it might be a bit much to do the squats as well, so will do later ! I am 66 after all. Very warm here on the west coast, ran without jacket for the first time too.

2 likes

Was the same 😊 planning to do 30mins but felt like I could do more so carried onto 39- which is my longest and best run yet. Starting to feel like I might actually be able to do this and really starting to find a regular pace that works

4 likes

Wonderful!!!!!!

You could even do the strength workouts on a separate day entirely if that works for you! Do a little marching on the spot to warm up first xx

Well done for the 39 minutes, you're smashing it!!!

Morning. I completed week 3 yesterday with the 7km run. I’m a little bit ahead with runs as 6k was the furthest I’ve ever run so I though I might need longer to get to 10. But so far so good. I’m going to do Parkrun on Saturday for my 5k when I can. Completed my second Parkrun last weekend and took 2mins 17 off my previous time 😁🏆. I’m fairly convinced it’s a mental thing for me. I’m slowish (7min 19sec per km) and my biggest issue yesterday was how to add 1k to my 6k route so I’m going to try to work my head round strava as advised above 😁🏃🏼‍♀️ My body didn’t seem to mind the extra 1k at all. I’m hopeless at the exercises though. Tried planks and gave up. I might dust off the Wiifit. I’m better when I’m being told what to do. 🧘🏻‍♀️

3 likes

Wow, what an amazing PB!!! Well done!!!!!

Great idea to use the Wii xx

Phew ! ☀️ 😅

Week 2 - Run 1 - 6K

I’ve just managed to run in this heat, went out at 11am and didn’t stop, thought I would get the long run over and done with and what a great run, slowed the pace down and got a PB for my 5K (36 mins)

Homemade rice and noodle dish last night gave me my fuel to keep going this morning - worked out I definitely need carbs before a long run and had overnight oats this morning to help. So for any runners who struggle with what to eat try a healthy carb meal !

Good luck to everyone and we can do this together🏃‍♀️👊🏃‍♂️

4 likes

Ooh that sounds yummy! Well done on the PB, that’s awesome! Good luck with Week 2! 🏃‍♀️

1 like

Thanks Jill, I’m not sure the portion size was correct ! 🤣 🍲🤦🏼‍♀️

Good luck too and I’m praying it doesn’t get any warmer 😅

1 like

Never mind portion size, you can run it off 😃

I’m praying with you, I don’t like it when it’s too warm 😩

1 like

Phew! You are smashing this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so pleased that I was able to do the 39 minutes, next week I’m going to do the longer distance on a flatter route. It will mean getting the car out first thing but hey why not! It does not seem so long ago I was starting C25k and 20 minutes seemed like a dream, so I’m chuffed I was able to do it! I’m slow as a slow coach, but if I do complete the 60 minutes I’ll be so proud of myself. Wish I had discovered this years ago!

Thanks to all who like or reply to my posts.

5 likes

You are awesome!!!!!!

Just back from my W2 short run, that 15 minutes seems to fly by! Pushed my pace a little on this one n definitely happy with the result. Not so happy with the sweat though, this humidity is horrible 🥵 Got my app sorted to try some intervals next time out, not looking forward to it but I’ll give them a go. Didn’t mind the squats as much as I expected n I’m still planking too! 😳

Happy running everybody! 🏃‍♀️ 🏃🏻‍♂️

3 likes

Well done Jill, the sweat is unbelievable !

I looked like I had been dragged out of a lake...

The squats weren’t too bad were they ?

3 likes

Isn’t it! I feel cheated cos we didn’t get the storms they promised n we’re stuck with the humidity 🙄

I was pleasantly surprised by the squats. I hadn’t accounted for the fact that I’ve been running for a few months so I expected my knees to be very unhappy but they were fine 😁

2 likes

Wow!!! Great work 😊😊😊

1 like

Thanks! 😁

Well that’s this weeks 6K done. Felt pretty good going out and great coming home. With abs average pace of 7:05 including 5 mins warm up walk 👍🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐐

1 like

That’s 41 mins dead for the 6K I’m pretty pleased with that 👍🏻

2 likes

Awesome!

2 likes

Ohhh feeling a bit deflated, went out intending to do 6 k and did 3.5 k instead (I have done a 6k before a couple of weeks back). Was my first week 2 (magic plan) run so guess I can do either 5 or 6 k in my next two runs but yeah my legs felt like lead and my body felt exhausted and was just too much...not sure why. Been doing 5Ks for nearly 2 months now but for some reason recently I’ve started to struggle more with aches and pains recently, especially in knees and just finding it really hard work...I’m sure (and hope) it’s just a phase. Sorry for rant! 😊

2 likes

I had a phase like that....took extra rest days in between to give my body a break, strength exercises on non running days and keep well hydrated every day especially in this heat.

Good luck for your next run but listen to your body if it needs a break for a few days 🏃‍♀️

1 like

I can't top RunRunRun13's excellent advice! Maybe take even more time off - sometimes we just need a break 😊😊😊

There really is no rush to do this xxx

1 like

Thank you!!! Yes you are right! Xx

1 like

Thanks so much for this really helpful advice! Much appreciated! Xx

2 likes

Yay I just did WK2 R3 & ran the 39 mins (actually 40 as I like round numbers!) my longest run ever 🙌 It was very hot but I plodded on averaging 7’30 per km which I know is slow. I plan to increase speed on 3rd run - 15mins 😀 Love reading how everyone is doing - 👍

3 likes

Fabulous work xxx

1 like

Just back from the 30 minute run, let’s see how we go on week 3 magic time.

2 likes

Just finished week 2 with the short run doing intervals, which I wasn’t looking forward to, but surprised myself by enjoying it (even if I ended up doing 4K by mistake). Got on better with the squats than the planks, although you do know you have done them later in the day!

Looking forward to week 3 and reaching a new distance 😁🏃🏻‍♂️

1 like

Well done!!!

1 like

Ok, just back from my 30 minute run including my first time doing intervals. Managed them ok but after that my legs were jelly n I was so tired! I swear I must’ve looked like one of the zombies from my Zombies Run app, shambling from the path through the bushes up onto the field 🧟‍♀️🏃‍♀️🥵

Have just reread the intervals info n now I’m not sure I did enough. I read it as a set of 4 x jog 30, run 20, sprint 10 followed by 2 minutes jog then a set of 2 x run jog sprint. Now I’m wondering if I should’ve done a set of 4 then 2 mins jog then another set of 4, 2 mins jog then a final set of 4. Not sure I could’ve managed all that though! 😩

Roseabi, can you clarify please?

1 like

Oops, I made an error in my post - I said to do each 30-20-10 set 4 times - should actually be 5 times (hence 5 minutes)! Very sorry about that!!!!!

So the sequence should actually be:

After a warm up:

5 times: [30s slow jogging, 20s faster running, 10s sprinting]

2 minute jog

2 minute jog

Cool down

The article suggests that people may do an additional set as they feel - three is probably plenty though!

Hope this is clearer?

2 likes

It is thank you. As I suspected, I didn’t do it right 😔. Though knowing how I felt after what I did, I’m not sure I would’ve got through them all. I’ll amend my app for next time. Thanks for clarifying!

1 like

If you wanted to stick with 4x jog-run-sprint for a while it would still be a perfectly good workout!

Apologies for the confusion xxx

1 like

That’s ok, I just wish I’d reread it before my run n not after lol. I’ll go with 5 n see how I cope. If it’s too much I can always skip a bit xx

Well that’s the last 5K this week. 26 degrees and I did a 5K PB 👍🏻🐐🏃🏽‍♂️😁

1 like

Wow, that's excellent!!!

1 like

That's W2 done, glad I left the 3k as the last as it was incredibly hot today.

1 like

Phew!! Well done 😊😊😊

Just getting my gear ready for tomorrow mornings magic. Hope it’s not raining, best put the jacket ready!

1 like

All the best!

Week 2 done and pleased with myself as I was on holiday in Norfolk. I have a tendency to open the caravan door and run with little planning or sense of direction, hence accidently running 0.5 km extra on 2 of the runs. Thoroughly enjoyed them though.

1 like

Awesome!!

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious but has anyone any suggestions how to time the interval running? I don't have a running watch- use basic Map My Run to get distances etc. Thanks

1 like

There is a free app called JogRunSprint that is pretty flexible in how you set the intervals. Haven’t used it much so can’t really give advice, though.

1 like

Thanks will try it!

1 like

Hi! I have included some information about this in the latest post: healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

xxx

Thanks! I set it up for the 15 minute run and did a set of intervals (for the first time ever!) and the app worked fine. Seems fairly simple to set up and you get a warning when the speed is about to change.

1 like

I'm still on week one, I'm going to do the timed runs as I'm not ready for the longer distances (hoping to build up to 10k from there!). I only managed 30s plank then 15s on each of the side ones. Sorry I couldn't find the week 1 post to comment! 😬

If I can't complete a longer run without walking should I repeat the week like in Couch to 5k? If I need to walk a bit with the double buggy I usually still count it as done if I feel like it was equal to the effort needed to have run the whole thing without the buggy though 😂

You may also like...