Bridge to 10K
7,665 members9,329 posts

A New Year and a PB at Parkrun

Happy New Year to everyone.

Despite being up till 1.00 this morning seeing in the new year with Jools Holland and bubbly, UpTheStanley and I set off for parkrun at the usual time. We walked along the prom with someone in a great outfit with multi coloured wig who’d arrived from the Isle of Wight having been told it was fancy dress today. It wasn’t but there’s always someone in fancy dress celebrating an anniversary run so no one thought it strange.

Before the briefing, the bagpipes played Auld Lang Syne and we had a good singalong.

It was a bit chilly but a very light wind , the sea looked calm and the sky was beautiful. What a great day to be doing a parkrun.

Dressed in my new leggings given by my speedy niece I felt good as I ran along the prom surrounded by dogs and kept a fairly even pace. I felt the beginnings of a stitch in k5 so tried to breathe deeper and slower while maintaining pace. UpTheStanley met me at 250m to go and supported me in , at his vocal best. I really went for it in those last few metres!

Yippee, new year, new PB 32:13 parkrun time. My New Year’s resolution is to get sub 30 eventually but sub 32 is the next step.

Keep enjoying your running everyone, and stay healthy.

45 Replies
oldestnewest

Sub 32 minutes isn't far away.. Happy new year and well done getting a PB 😸

1 like

Thanks Katnap, I hope your poorly paw is better soon.

1 like

I was a naughty cat and ran anyway.

Strava reckoned I got a 5k PB. But it felt like an OK jog / run.

Record attendance at our local parkrun... expected to be 650ish 😵

1 like

Wow that is a large attendance - we were down to 350 today - not so many slower runners. Lovely running conditions. Now rest up for a day or so, we don’t want you in the IC.

1 like

Error... Running club tomorrow evening. I suspect it will be a slow and steady 30 minute recovery jog as a number of club runners were at parkrun and some were / are running up and down the Malvern Hills.

1 like

Final score on the door was 665 😱 Someone video’d the start and it really does look incredible! Everyone was so good though, and the other park users were also very understanding. It probably helped that the weather was a bit rainy so it wasn’t as busy as it could have been. Our two kittens were either end of the funnel timekeeping and scannering, and they really enjoyed themselves!

Thankfully Katnap didn’t push himself, so hopefully he’ll be ok...🤞🤞

Congratulations on your PB Dexy, what a great way to start the year!👏👏👏

1 like

What an amazing atmosphere there must have been TailChaser. And great that your kittens are enjoying the volunteering as well as the running.

Yes a good run for me today, I enjoyed it.

Enjoy 2019 running.

1 like

Congratulations Dexy5 on that PB time of 32.13. Happy New year to you and UpTheStanley, I am sure you will be able to run a 5K in under 30 minutes, just look for a good day with little wind and a temperature around 12C/ 54F, ideal weather for PB's. 😊 🏃

1 like

Thanks Al, happy new year to you too. 7c here according to Garmin so I had my warmer top on but no problem with westerly winds for a change. Loads of people walking on the beach , and some even doing a new year dip in the sea. Brrr

Wow! PB after Christmas food! You are a super star! ⭐️Well done to you! Congratulations! 🍾🥂🏅👏🏻😊🎉👍☀️🏃‍♀️🤸‍♀️🏃‍♀️🤸‍♀️🏃‍♀️🤸‍♀️ And guess what? Flip belt ordered! Thank you for telling me about them. 😊

1 like

Thanks 61+, I was amazed I got out of bed in time after a few late nights!

Well done - I bought my flip belt as a result of recommendation on here. I went for large, but I think I’m going to have to order a medium now as I’m worried my phone is going to slip out. This running lark does have benefits doesn’t it, or maybe the belt has just stretched 🤣🤣

1 like

Massive congratulations Dexy! Fabulous time especially after last night’s celebrations. I’m afraid the most my head could cope with this morning was walking the dog 4k! Happy New Year and happy running 🏃‍♀️ 🥳🍾

1 like

Thanks Sandie, the reward was breakfast in the beach cafe afterwards. I now feel very full and contented. It was Parkrun no 25 today, so halfway to my T-shirt.

1 like

Great post Dexy! 🤩

What a way to start the new year! Celebrations with Jools&UTS 🥂 Bagpipes before your run 🎶 & a new PB 🥇 ... Amazing!

Have a lovely day! ✨

1 like

Thank you Dreams, and have a lovely running year. 🏃‍♀️ 🗓

1 like

Brilliant well done 🔥

Thanks juju, I think I’ll be redoing your plan again soon, but won’t achieve 10k before our skiing holiday.

Brilliant Dexy! 🎉👏🎉 Sounds like the perfect run today in perfect conditions. Very well done, and happy running in 2019 to you! 👏👏🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

And to you cheekychipmunks. Did you Parkrun today?

Oh yes, you certainly did!

Well done Eileen! And Happy New Year! 😃🥂🍾❤️❤️🎉

1 like

And a year of good health and happiness to you and mr mountaindreamer. What a year we’ve just had! 🍾🥂🕛🥳😘🏃‍♀️

1 like

Thanks - and the same to you and UTS ❤️❤️

Having lost both my parents last year, and spent so much of it in hospitals and nursing homes, I was glad to see the back of 2018! I ran my first 18k this morning, while speedy OH went off to do double local Parkruns back-to-back... We’ve started as we hope to continue, and here’s to much better things in 2019! 😊🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️❤️❤️🎉🎉

1 like

Wow 18k. Well done you. And the double for Mr MD . I hope you’ve got your feet up now. 2019 will definitely be your year. Are you entered into a half marathon?

1 like

Yes - we’re both entered for the Chester HM in mid May. It’s the weekend before my 50th birthday, so I wanted one about then! 😊❤️

Edit - I should say I expect to get to the distance in a few weeks, but wanted to keep cycling my long runs up and down and getting lots of HM length practice runs in before race day!

1 like

NYD pb. That’s just brilliant. 😃🌟🌟👏👏👏

1 like

Thank You Wimborne. Yes I’m rather chuffed with that, but back on the couch now! Mince pies are calling me .... 🥧🏃‍♀️

1 like

Well done Dexy, nice to start a new year with a PB. It was a lovely morning for a run. I spotted you were wearing a flip belt. I ordered a bright pink one after my Christmas Day parkrun belt fail, just waiting for it to turn up.

1 like

Oh yes , I remember seeing your belt break - I hope your phone survived the fall. My belt has either stretched or I’ve shrunk so I need to get a smaller one now.

Brilliant Dexy!

1 like

Thanks Jay, and good luck with your new running plans too. I bet a before and after picture of you will show the benefits of c25k. A new man for a new year. 🥳

1 like

I’ve certainly changed. I even ended December (only ever so slightly) lighter than I started it!

1 like

I wish I could say that 😂😂

Good idea.

Great time!! I was in bed at Parkrun time but did a 4K run and two 2.5k walks (to the pub and back!!). Only one drink. Happy New Year.

I did ask myself why I was leaving my nice warm bed but was glad I did. Well Done for running as well as walking to the pub.

Congratulations on your PB Dexy - what a way to start 2019! Sub-30 is calling!

No parkrun at Lakeside but not sure I would have been up to it as have had a 'funny tummy' for the last couple of days - on the mend now so should be fine for Saturday.

Happy New Year to you and UTS 😀

Hope you are feeling better soon JonathanP. We could have done a double with Queen Elizabeth Country Park- say no more 😂😂 we decided to have breakfast at the beach cafe instead.

Thanks Dexy - nearly there. Can't say I blame you - lots of hills at QECP!

1 like

Well done Dexy you will soon be sub 30 minutes you are waaaay faster than me! Happy New Year to you 🎉🎉🎉

Just a minute at a time Bridget, bit by bit 😂. I do seem to run faster at parkrun though - today I was following a bobble hat and I managed to pass him just as UpTheStanley started chewing me on.

1 like

I meant cheering me on 🤣🤣

I thought so or it would have been a novel way to get you to your PB 🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂

1 like

Bloomin well done! And happy new year to you and UTS. May you be blessed with many Parkruns and PBs. 😂👍

Thanks BrianUK. Did I tell you I love Parkrun? I was 5th in my age group today so plenty of targets still. However as no 1 made it in 20 minutes I accept that is a bridge too far.

Enjoy the rest of your hols

You may also like...