Marcothon Day 29: Day 29: nightmare 4km run. I... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
11,799 members15,457 posts

Marcothon Day 29

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Day 29: nightmare 4km run. I did NOT want to run today ... at all. The first time I’ve felt like that all month.

The first mistake was leaving my running headband my daughter gave me for Christmas behind - the wind had got up by this afternoon and was blowing my hair across my face. The second mistake was to be too lazy to go back and get it. Windswept doesn’t begin to describe me now!

So, a heavy legged slog along the road towards Churchill village, feeling as if I could hardly lift my feet let alone run.

Then I noticed a signpost with an arrow pointing across a field. I love exploring new footpaths. That was my third mistake. I suppose the fact there was a gate across the footpath and no destination on it should have given me a clue - but, no, I blithely heaved myself over the wibbly wobbly gate and set off purposefully down the edge of the field, following the very rutted path. And came to a sign warning about defensive cattle with calves. I could smell cattle but there was no sign of them in the vast field ahead of me, so I decided to risk it and made my way through the gate and began to traverse what turned out to be a very tussocky, pitted, furrowed field round which I was forced to run slower than I can walk for fear of twisting my ankle or breaking my leg in a crevasse.

I navigated quite a bit of the field, watching out for killer cows, and realised the only way out was the way I’d come in, so back I was forced to go, through the rutty field, then back uphill along what I belatedly realised was a footpath no more. The final straw was noticing that the wibbly wobbly gate I’d so laboriously climbed over 15 minutes before had a fastening i was able to open and close to get through.

Talking Heads summed it up pretty well:

youtu.be/Dz1fl6u8ut0

50 Replies
oldestnewest
Equi-geek
Equi-geekGraduate10

Oh flip Flick! What a tricky run. I’d not have lasted, I’m sure! Hope tomorrow’s is much easier 🤗

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Equi-geek

I think I’m getting stale after nearly a month of running every day, through illness and whatever. The footpath adventure at least added a bit of interest - in retrospect!

MutleyShuffle
MutleyShuffleGraduate10

Sounds like a tough one, well done for getting 4k in the bag! And at least you didn't get marauded by killer cows! 🐄🐄 Nearly there now Flick, I see a huge rest on the horizon! xx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to MutleyShuffle

Thank you - yes, I’m definitely taking a couple of days off running at the end of the month 😊

MutleyShuffle
MutleyShuffleGraduate10 in reply to FlickM3

Ha ha, only a couple! 😁

FlickM3

I haven’t decided yet, but probably. I’ve felt better, been fitter and run better running every day 😊

MutleyShuffle
MutleyShuffleGraduate10 in reply to FlickM3

Fabulous 😊

FlickM3

We’ll see 😂

DebJogsOn
DebJogsOnGraduate10

This made me laugh - just the scent of killer cows on the wind would have finished me off! And I hate a tussocky field. But you did your run! Yay!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to DebJogsOn

Haha, well I was a bit apprehensive, but there didn’t seem to be any sign of them - though it did bring to mind the footpath to Over Norton that dumped me in a field with a bull and a cow in the summer 😳🐂🐄

DebJogsOn
DebJogsOnGraduate10 in reply to FlickM3

😱 My first 10k happened because I had to do a detour around a field of bullocks 😂

BrianUK
BrianUKGraduate10

Well done for even getting out there today Flick. I’m sorry it was a yucky run, but they all count. I hope you feel better soon.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to BrianUK

Thanks Brian. At least I’m not fee.inf ill now, just a bit knackered. In retrospect it was quite amusing 😊

Outofpuff
OutofpuffGraduate10

😱

Outofpuff
OutofpuffGraduate10

🤣

Outofpuff
OutofpuffGraduate10

Maybe we should take up this 🚴🏿‍♀️

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Outofpuff

Been there done that and have an expensive audacity bike in the shed - too many near misses cycling round Oxford!

Oldfloss
OldflossAdministrator

"Not all those who wander are lost" ?

Well done Flick...Killer cows can really be off putting to say the least. Rest up and head out for these last runs.. knowing you will do them... ! xxxx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Oldfloss

Thanks Floss ❤️ Just two more runs then a couple of days off I think before I start training for a 15k charity run in April and the elusive half marathon. Xxxx

Crawlhome
CrawlhomeGraduate10

That sounds like a tough one Flick but well done for completing it, nearly there...

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Crawlhome

Thanks. Yes, nearly 5here, and it was funny looking back on it 😊

UpTheStanley
UpTheStanleyGraduate10

Two to go two to go two to go go go Flick go :-)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to UpTheStanley

I know. I have mixed feelings. I want a couple of days break, but I’m going to miss the challenge and the Facebook group

cheekychipmunks
cheekychipmunksGraduate10

Crikey Flick, what a toughie. You’re made of tough stuff and you’re almost there now ....... keep it up! 👏💪🏃‍♀️👍👊

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to cheekychipmunks

Thanks. Yes two to go 😊

helenwheels
helenwheelsGraduate10

You have done so brilliantly well to run 29 days on the trot (see what I did there 😊)

There will be bad days of course but maybe taking the long view, and I am sure it will be easier with hindsight, you will be amazed at what you did 🏃🏾‍♀️🍾🏃🏾‍♀️

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to helenwheels

Thank you 😊 it’s the first time this month I really couldn’t be bothered to run. I think it’s partly fatigue and partly boredom as I’m having to repeat routes too often, plus it’s a haul to get up the steep bits at the beginning of most runs, just when you find it tough. 29 days in thectrot, haha more a shuffle Today!

Bluebirdrunner
BluebirdrunnerGraduate10

Well done Flick, you are almost there...you are doing brilliantly...feel proud and finish in style! Wonder woman!

😊😊xxx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Bluebirdrunner

Thank you😊 I don’t really want to finish the challenge, it’s been so amazing and has taught me such a lot, but on t(e other hand I really would like a day or two of rest xxx

Bluebirdrunner
BluebirdrunnerGraduate10 in reply to FlickM3

A rest will do you good...but then go again!!!😄x

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Bluebirdrunner

Yeah - even after that dodgy run, and being tired,I’m thinking of the next run and looking forward to it xx

lexi6
lexi6Graduate10

So close now Flick you are just amazing, go carefully and keep safe 🦸🏼‍♀️ X

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to lexi6

Thank you Lexi 😊 nearly there!!! 🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️

Slinkymalinki
SlinkymalinkiGraduate10

Flick 2: Elements 0. You took them on and won despite the killer cows, dodgy signpost & wind! I had a much slower than usual parkrun in the wind & mud this morning so have an idea of how you felt - albeit without the Marcothon challenge!

Katnap
KatnapGraduate10

Hopefully you will look back on this day with a laugh!

Extra stretches and carbs for tomorrow😸

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Katnap

I never do stretches! there, I've confessed LOL

Oh my goodness Flick, I am mightily impressed. I haven't been in here for ages, and your running streak sounds awesome. And I love that Talking Heads track.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Razouski

It's been such a wonderful thing to do that I'm tempted to keep going, bit i think I'm having a couple of days rest then training for my 15k charity run and working towards a HM.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Razouski

PS: I had the album in the 80s. What i most remember about them is the huge suit jacket.

SaskAlliecat
SaskAlliecatGraduate10

Man oh man, nightmare run is right but you did it and you are another day closer to your Marcothon finale! Two more days left, you are so close!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to SaskAlliecat

It's the only day it's been difficult, and it was fun looking back :)

theoldfellow
theoldfellowGraduate10

I remember a event with cows. I had been watching some animal guru lady on TV explain that the way to befriend a horse was to blow gently up it's nose. I had gone out for a walk (didn't run back then) and tried it, and it seemed to work. So, on entering a field with some bullocks in, I tried it on them. Bad idea, it worked too well: walking purposefully towards the far gate with 40 huge animals jostling to get closer to the 'mad' human was not pleasant. But you could try it on Killer Cows, next time.

Nearly there Flick, well done!

❤👏🙏❤👏🙏❤👏🙏❤👏🙏

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to theoldfellow

That made me laugh. You and a new bovine fan club :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

It's all beginning to sound like an idea for a board game ;)

SlowLoris
SlowLorisGraduate10

Keep going young Flick.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to SlowLoris

Last day tomorrow !

mountaindreamer
mountaindreamerGraduate10

Tough - but you stuck it out Flick! Just 2 more to go now!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻😃🏃‍♀️❤️❤️

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to mountaindreamer

One more now - and it was all easier than i thought, though I stuck to the minimum time for a lot of runs x

Just reading your posts Flick. I’m so impressed. I’ve done a couple of ‘Race at your pace’ challenges. But I love yours, so I’m going to give it a go. But, in spring! Currently getting over an avulsion ankle fracture, so it’ll be a couple of months before I do it. But I will. Thanks for inspiring me!!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Kezwah

Yay! You will love it! x

You may also like...