Marcothon day 17:: Out before dawn this... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
11,843 members15,587 posts

Marcothon day 17:

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Out before dawn this morning, Venus (or was it Jupiter?) scintillating manically on the horizon, the Plough wheeling overhead.

Not the short fast sprint I had planned but more a steady lope with passages of shuffle. If I'd realised how lethal it was out there, I would have used the treadmill. It was deceiving as the pavement was merely wet when I set out. Then I hit black ice and felt my foot (clad in my least grippy shoes!) slip sideways. None of this was helped by it being bin day: some people put out the food caddies instead of the food bin, and they are small and black so can catch you unawares in the dark.

Even on the downy bits, where I usually bomb along to make up for the slower climb on the uppy bits, I was mincing like the Corps de Ballet in Swan Lake. At the bottom of the hill, it was so bad - frost sparkling right across the road and lurking in lichen-like discs the size of a football all over the pavement - that I had to turn round and run back up the hill I'd just run down. The side streets were worse, forcing me to churn through frosted grass, avoiding road and pavement alike..

But back home in a crisp, beautiful dawn that made the run worthwhile.

16 Replies
oldestnewest
Slinkymalinki
SlinkymalinkiGraduate10

I have images of the pas de quatre from Swan Lake with the end cygnet mincing in bright Lycra!! Sounds like a lovely frosty dawn run despite the marauding food caddies and black ice!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Slinkymalinki

haha yes! It was seriously scary in places but i'm glad I did it x

SaskAlliecat
SaskAlliecatGraduate10

That black ice can be tricky, hence my frolick in the snowy coulee last week. Take care out there; you're doing amazing and I would hate for a slip to mess up your streak. You're going to nail this Marcothon!!!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to SaskAlliecat

Thanks Allie, you’re so encouraging ❤️ I shall monitor the weather carefully tomorrow and use the treadmill if it’s icy x

Beachcomber66
Beachcomber66Graduate10

Reckon it was Venus Flick, according to my app. Watch the black ice; it was the cause of my fractured vertebra in November 2017!! Sneaky stuff just lying in wait, in my case concealed under a layer of snow,resulting in zero friction. I am in awe of your every day runs. I would be IC for sure by now if I tried to run every day, even without the ice! You take care.😊🐌💐

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Beachcomber66

It certainly took me by surprise or it would have been the treadmill!

I thought it was Venus - the only thing that made me unsure was 5hat it was higher than normal.

Regarding injury, I have a seriously weakened leg from an old fractured femur plus knee split to the bone incident, yet not a whisper of trouble since I stated running, not even ow with this streak. I’ve had plenty of problems previously just walking or even sitting wrong. It amazes me. My GP told me running would strengthen it all and she was right!

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10

Yikes! That ice sounds tricky, but I did smile at the image of you mincing like a ballerina 😂😂

You're doing so well with this streak Flick xxx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Irishprincess

Thanks. I’m seriously considering having a brief break then carrying on with it. I’m no more tired than when I was having rest days and I’m more motivated to get out and run xxx

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10 in reply to FlickM3

Do whatever suits you xxx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Irishprincess

I'll see how i feel when the time comes, but so far so good xxx

Katnap
KatnapGraduate10

Venus was very bright. Who needs the moon when you can have a planet 🌍?

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to Katnap

I’ve never seen it that huge and bright!

lexi6
lexi6Graduate10

You’re a Superwoman Flick, but with better tights! 😀

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to lexi6

Haha thanks, and I don't wear my knickers over them! x

sunshinefish
sunshinefishGraduate10

Glad you have a back up of a treadmill Flick to use if it is icy again. You have done so well with this and it's great that the weather can't stop you.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10 in reply to sunshinefish

Thank you 😊

You may also like...