Marcothon day 12: Oxford running today, along... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
11,506 members14,998 posts

Marcothon day 12

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Oxford running today, along the tow path and round Christchurch Meadow. I’m beginning to feel the pressure of running 12 (actually 13) successive days, getting slower and feeling fatigued, but still loving it. It’s going to be hard to go back to rest days. I also realise how many times in the past I thought I wasn’t up to running but actually could have run. Now I have to run, no matter how I feel, and ALWAYS feel better for it, even if exhausted when I set out.

I would recommend this challenge and will do it next year. The Facebook group are really encouraging and supportive.

30 Replies
oldestnewest
Tartancat
TartancatGraduate10

Well done Flick! That's the thought to hold on to - we do always feel better after a run 🏃‍♀️

Nearly half way there!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Tartancat

Thanks - yes nearly halfway 😊❤️

Sadie-runs
Sadie-runsGraduate10

I am in awe of you 😍. Keep going Flick, you are doing so well. x

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sadie-runs

Sadie, honestly, it perpetuates itself. I never dreamed it would be possible and so much fun xxx

BaddieThePirate
BaddieThePirateGraduate10

Wow, that's a challenge and a half! Doing well!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to BaddieThePirate

I recommend it. One of the best things I've ever done x

lexi6
lexi6Graduate10

Stunning photos and awesome effort Flick, keep safe and well x

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to lexi6

Thank you :) Frosty today so going out later x

sunshinefish
sunshinefishGraduate10

Well done Flick, you're doing great. Was it good to run somewhere else, as you are running every day? As in a change being as good as a rest (well maybe not a rest in this case, but a change being good!)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to sunshinefish

Definitely. And i love Oxford x

Oldfloss
OldflossAdministrator

Slow, steady..hold in there my dear friend... you are doing so, so well...You are helping me to keep strong with my HM plan, leading by example, on those days when I am finding it hard... Just keep going:) xx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Oldfloss

I'm loving every minute. It's really focused my running, and knowing i have to run no matter what means I look forward to my runs. But i'm envious of your HM training :) xx

Slinkymalinki
SlinkymalinkiGraduate10

Ah, beautiful Oxford (even though I'm Cambridge biased!). Well done, Flick - keep going with your fab runs & posts. Interesting reflection on the mindset of thinking we're not up to it but actually, we can.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Cambridge is beautiful too, though i haven't been since the 70s. And thank you :) x

SaskAlliecat
SaskAlliecatGraduate10

What beautiful pictures. Looks like a nice place to run and pass the time. I can't wait to hear what sort of distance you cover this month with this challenge. Great job!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to SaskAlliecat

Thanks Allie. Some days I do the minimum, but it’s interspersed with longer runs. It’s been a lot of fun and very motivating. You don’t have to do more than 3 miles or 25 minutes a day if you don’t want to, but some people are running half marathons, marathons and ultra marathons as well as running every day, which I find mind blowing!

And Oxford is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, with ancient college buildings and lots of green space to run x

ju-ju-
ju-ju-Administrator

I am so glad you are enjoying it... This is one of the reasons I run everyday. If you are tired on a day I suggest a very very slow run/walk for 1 mile. Its enough to keep the legs moving but allows for rest ( you will see from Strava that I do this alot)!!!!

Well done :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to ju-ju-

Thank you ju-ju-

I do keep running because the challenge is to run, but my watch is on auto pause, and if it’s a day when I’m really tired, I have a lot of photo stops, as with this run. Each few second stop has me recharged and running better again. I really do think I’m going to do a lot more consecutive days running when the challenge ends.

Gran4z
Gran4zGraduate10

Looks good, sounds tough running everyday, so well done. Forgive my ignorance, but I’m curious, what is Marcothon? Sounds like a real challenge, and I like a challenge 😂😳. Enjoy loads 🙂🎄

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Gran4z

It’s a challenge to run every day in December for a minimum of 3 miles or 25 minutes, whichever comes first. It was started by a bloke called Marco, and I’m guessing in Scotland, judging by the number of Scottish runners taking part. It has participants from all over the world. Tere’s A Strava group and a Facebook page. The Facebook group is really supportive and you get to see everybody’s photos and run write ups. Running every day isn’t as tough as it sounds. In fact it’s surprising how you keep going, with fatigue and high energy ebbing and flowing. I’m a real fan of running every day now x

Gran4z
Gran4zGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Hmmm, may try that next December - should be a more experienced runner by then, hopefully 🎄🌻

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Gran4z

It's an eye opener as to what you can do

Crawlhome
CrawlhomeGraduate10

I'm so impressed that you're still going Flick, and great to hear your progress.

I used to live in Oxford, beautiful city. I'm now in Exeter which really reminds me of Oxford years ago before all the clone stores took over. 😔

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Crawlhome

Thank you 😊 I cant imagine not running every day now ...

oxford still has originality, despite the chains. There is an amazing looking new book shop and cafe opened in Pembroke Street that I’m intending to explore.

Bluebirdrunner
BluebirdrunnerGraduate10

Great run again and smashing photos Flick. We were thinking of doing that Abingdon to Oxford walk last Tuesday, but as its eight miles, so cold, dark and almost two hours drive away, we changed our mind and think we will wait for longer days to enjoy it more...

You are doing brilliantly with your challenge...so committed... Well done!

😊xxx

Will show hubby pictures of what we could have seen😉....

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Bluebirdrunner

Thankyou😊

Next summer I intend to run that route into Oxford then bus home. I haven’t worked out exactly what the route is yet. Should be beautiful in summer.

The photos show only a fraction of the ancient buildings in Oxford. I will be so glad to be nearer again soon.

The challenge is one of the best things I’ve ever done. I’m so glad I did it. I’m learning so much xxx

Flyingred
FlyingredGraduate10

Excellent, inspiring post – thank you! From when I got into C25K, around week 3 or 4, I've wanted to go running every day. After 6 months I still run only on alternate days but at some point I'll be tempted to just go out every day.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Flyingred

Thank you x

I began running two or three consecutive days sometimes from about 10 months into running. I've been running 14 months now and don't think i would have done this till now. I think your body just knows when it's ready.

Flyingred
FlyingredGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Thanks for sharing your experience. My plan was to up frequency from the spring, which would be about 10 months from starting too. :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Flyingred

Just see how you feel. Lots of people younger than me start sooner

You may also like...