Marcothon day 5 - run every day in December - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
11,380 members14,929 posts

Marcothon day 5 - run every day in December

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

This is the first day I’ve felt a bit tired (probably because I didn’t leave enough hours rest after yesterday’s run) though I feel wonderful now.

It was chilly, damp and misty when I set out in the half dark this morning. I did the minimum today as I’m hoping for a longer run in Oxford tomorrow .

Started raining halfway through the run, that drizzly penetrating rain that soaks through your clothes, but my new Christmas present from Mr I Don’t Snore running jacket held up and kept me dry.

This run every day malarkey has motivated me and restored my enthusiasm and love of running. I’ve run 6 consecutive days now as I did a day before the challenge began. I’m determined to keep going.

32 Replies
oldestnewest
Bluebirdrunner
BluebirdrunnerGraduate10

Well done Flick!

An Oxford run to look forward to tomorrow too👍....change of scenery!

Great to hear your enthusiasm! Go you 😊xx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Bluebirdrunner

Thank you lovely 😊yes Chipping Norton gets boring in winter as the steep bits round gates on the footpaths are literally calf deep in mud, thanks to livestock, with bare mud up steep slopes around them, so I mostly stick to the same road routes x

Bluebirdrunner
BluebirdrunnerGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Oxford has a good Xmas market I believe, we have been looking for a new one to visit. This damp weather putting us off though...

Is that where you are moving to Flick?

Bluebirdrunner
BluebirdrunnerGraduate10

Oxford Xmas market doesn't start til the 7th Dec...

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Do you mean the one by the old prison, the one in Gloucester Green or the one in Briad Street?

Bluebirdrunner
BluebirdrunnerGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Broad street I think...just seen it advertised online though.

We have printed out a walk we want to do from Abingdon into Oxford by the river, then train back... waiting for the right day...

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Let me know when you’ve done the walk as that will be my running route into oxford

Broad Street market is quite good usually, like the Bath one but on a smaller scale. X

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

I would love to be moving back there - I’m really homesick- but the closest I can get now is Abingdon. There is nothing on the market in Oxford because of Brexit fears, and I’ve bought a way nicer house in Abingdon than I could afford in oxford (unless I was willing to live way out) and there is a regular bus service that takes 15/20 minutes from Abingdon to oxford city centre x

AlMorr
AlMorrGraduate10

Well done Flick on your running 25 minutes every day in December, I have been following you and wishing you well all the way. 😊 Do be aware that running on two days in a row, let alone 25, could cause you to go onto the IC unless you have been running for over a year, so be very careful and take your runs slow and steady. I am sure no one here on C25K wants you to have any injuries, please take care.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to AlMorr

Please don’t worry. I’ve been running well over a year now, and I run so slowly that I haven’t had a single injury yet. It’s a minimum 25 minutes or 3 miles, whichever comes first, so I’m varying it with short and long runs, short ones on the days I normally wouldn’t be running. I’ve done a couple of 5k runs and the rest have been 3k or less. Hoping for a much longer one tomorrow. Feel very energised and legs.are fine. X

Edit: have also been running consecutive days for some time now with no ill effects😊 Running up and down hill all the time builds strong legs 😂

AlMorr
AlMorrGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

That's great news Flick, thanks for letting me know, keep going and kind regards to you and "Mr I don't snore" 😪

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to AlMorr

Thank you Al 😊 I shall keep going and hope I manage the whole month. 26 days to go 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

MutleyShuffle
MutleyShuffleGraduate10

Well done Flick, day 5 and still smiling! 😁 Good to hear your new jacket is keeping the weather out! 🌧 Happy marcothoning! 👏🏃💪

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MutleyShuffle

Thank you. Really enjoying it, and the jacket is dead classy 😊x

MutleyShuffle
MutleyShuffleGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I wouldn't expect anything less! (Re: classy jacket) 😁 x

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MutleyShuffle

😂😂😂 it’s quite a discreet indigo colour, in contrast to my leggings x 😂

Flaraflarkin
FlaraflarkinGraduate10

You're doing great Flick! Ooh I love that half light time of day, before the rest of the world is up and about 😊 Here's to Day 6. Boom! 👊🦋🏃‍♀️

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Flaraflarkin

Thank you. Love it too, but this is a busy little place; if you get up and out at 5am there will still be dog walkers or people putting the bins out 😂

Hi Flick I am so pleased you are enjoying yourself and you feel re- engerised.👏👏

You have built up to this and you have given your body lots of time to adapt.

What you are doing now is banking and building more body adaption.

Providing your daily recovery is always good, keep going.

When it is not so good back off with a shorter run and time.

Reading your post I can see your experience and strategy is well understood.

Best piece of advice I got from Juju and much more, the introduction of a reset week.Technically that was 4th week in the month.

I know your challenge is 4 weeks, consider a reset week when you complete.Reset week is loosely half your average weekly kms and even 3-4 days non running in that week.

I preferred to just cut down the distance and keep going each day.But we are all different.

Found Juju’s recommendation of Epsom salts bath soak helped my sustainability also.

I just found that the guidance rules were critically important for all running at much quicker pace.👍

I am so slow that recovery and sustainability was just not an issue.

I am more careful now pursuing all out sprinting intervals HIIT.

Cannot believe how good the benefits of sprinting are.

Strength,endurance, weight loss, ( six pack🙈😂) etc.

It’s great what you are doing.

Obviously a person straight off the couch should not.The build up cannot be short circuited.

I have no doubts you have got this, first week down almost and all the others the same.I do not think it is a totally cumulative demand on your body.

Keep feeling good and adjust as necessary.

Just love what you are doing Flick.

💥🏃‍♀️💥☄️

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Tbae

Thank you, this is really useful advice. I can feel my body going up a level doing this. I’m going really easily and enjoying the runs. To be honest, conditions are not good for pushing speed anyway, with ice a couple of times and a lot of wet leaves around. But I find going at an easy pace, not pushing myself or getting out of breath, I’m still getting a little faster consistently. I’m going to refer back to your reply because the info is so useful and encouraging x

Tbae
Tbae
in reply to FlickM3

Hi Flick,

Just park speed as you say. I am not surprised you will see a natural quickening.

As you say winter conditions, hazards and additional risks and more unnecessary demands on your body.Not part of your challenge.

Just run at your happy pace and as you feel it each day. 🤔👏👏

I can empathise with you on the body going up another level.

Found the same.👍👏👏. Also

finding the same at present with HIIT. I have moved inside because I am not properly geared up for my first winter outside.Prefer Outside.

But I am finding a similar result re body and another level.

Cannot believe that I am sprinting at 13.5 kph for 30 seconds and have to hold myself back.

Very dangerous to short circuit this adaption and build up, particularly the more you demand.If that makes sense.I just believe we are capable of amazing things if we give our bodies the time to adapt.

Just a novice Flick, but just loving and enjoying this magic forum and your success.

💥🏃‍♀️💥☄️

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Tbae

It’s all wonderful stuff x

Hidden
HiddenGraduate10

Great work flick! 🤩 ... & lovely pics!

So glad to hear your motivation & enthusiasm has been restored! 🔥🙌

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Hidden

Thank you 😊❤️

orangeguy
orangeguyGraduate10

Well done Flick, I'm envious :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to orangeguy

Thank you 😊 I would recommend running every day for a month to anyone who is healthy and not injured

orangeguy
orangeguyGraduate10

I'm tentatively taking my first steps after a hip flexor strain, did about 3k today and planning on another 3k Friday if there's no aches and pains, fingers crossed . . . but I'm with you in spirit 😊

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to orangeguy

I remember you mentioning it, which is why I said if you are not injured. I’m glad you’re getting back out there. There will be other run every day challenges.i needed this one to get me running with enthusiasm again. Fingers crossed for you 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

mountaindreamer
mountaindreamerGraduate10

Well done Flick! It’s great to hear you’re getting back your love of running! 😃🏃‍♀️💥❤️

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to mountaindreamer

Thank you. These things seem to go in cycles, and the whole thing is so fragile in some ways, yet so resilient in others. I dipped before, when the heatwave ended, then got enthused again. It seems par for the course! X

Empem
EmpemGraduate10

Your Joy of it all shines through. Perhaps you'll miss those Cotswold hills!haha

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Empem

Yeah loving it - and i wont miss those hills in winter LOL x

You may also like...