Bridge to 10K
8,152 members9,848 posts

Very short run in my beloved Oxford

Mr I Don’t Snore suggested taking the dogs to their old haunts down by the river meadows in Oxford today, and said I could go for a run while he took them into the fields. I was going to run along the tow path by the Thames into the city centre and back via Christchurch meadow. However, I stopped to see my friend Judith and she said she would come and run with me. She hadn’t run for a month so it was just 1.5k. So off we went, both wearing our Sturdy by Design colourful capris.

We went down onto the Kidneys, where we encountered Mr IDS and my dogs. ‘oh gawd’ groaned Mr IDS as we galloped merrily past. Dennis followed us for a while then went back to Mr IDS. So we left them behind and trotted over the bridge into Aston’s Eyot, which is a lovely place with trees, deer, birds and other wildlife.

This is only the second time I’ve run with someone else (not counting park run, where they all vanished into the distance) and it was great to be with someone who goes at the same pace as me (she’s quite a bit younger too!) and we were able to chat as we went. I felt good after and my VO2 Max is up again.

Judith is probably going to come over and run with me here tomorrow. It means I will have run three days in a row, but they will have only been short runs and I won’t do it again for a while.

18 Replies
oldestnewest

A lovely run! Hope you're feeling a bit better Flick.

1 like

Thank you and I am. If you haven’t explored it yet, that green space with Astons Eyot and the kidneys is lovely, especially in spring and autumn. And I’m still tired but not as much as before. The couple of little runs I’ve done the last two days have perked me up .

Was just thinking I don't know that spot at all - will have to go and explore one of these days. Glad to hear you're perkier! Think a bit of sunshine helps - am secretly cross with everyone who wished the heatwave away 😂.

1 like

Me too. i've haven't felt right since the weather broke!

Short and sweet. These are some of the best runs I think. No pressure. You know you are going at the right speed when you are able to hold a conversation on these sorts of runs. Good one! 👍😃

1 like

thank you, it was really enjoyable :)

Sounds like a wonderful run, Flick. Great to find someone who goes at the same pace as you too. 😊🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️❤️

1 like

And such a good friend x

1 like

Aww, that sounds like a nice little run. Lucky for you both that you met each other and that your friend is going to run again tomorrow. Sometimes a few short runs are good for us too. How's your knee Flick and do you feel better? Xxx 😊

1 like

knee is fine now and I'm feeling better though still tired. how is running going for you? xxx

1 like

That's good to hear Flick. Maybe I've missed a few of your posts regarding the update on your knee, but glad all is good. I ran yesterday and it was the worst run ever, legs burning and just an ache right through me. A measly 1.33 miles, a struggle nevertheless, but I went out and at 6.15pm too, lol. Take care Flick xxx

1 like

I think it’s par for the course to get those kind of runs sometimes but they are often followed by a good run. Bodies and minds are complex and so many things can affect the way we run at any time. I think every run is valuable and it’s still miles/ks in the bank.also those short runs can be good as they are a different type of running to the longer ones. Hope it goes well next time xxx

So pleased you had a nice run Flick. Although I really enjoy the solitude of my runs the other day I was thinking it would be nice to run with someone else sometimes. Glad you are feeling a bit better :) :)

1 like

Thank you 😊 yes, I like running on my own most of the time, but it was a different experience today, one that would be fun to repeat from time to time, but probably works so well because of the close friendship

1 like

Looks like a lovely place to run! Glad you are feeling better too! Must have made a nice change having company!!Apart from with my daughter once in a blue moon I’ve not really done that! My sister has just been staying with me and we are very close but she hates the thought of too much exercise!!! She gets annoyed if I talk about it I can tell! I would never tell her what to do I just enthuse how great I feel!!! Nevermind!!! 😀

Thank you! My only proper run in company before this one was with my daughter and granddaughter and they kept having to wait for me! A shame about your sister. Lots of people think they hate running because they were put off by running at school. Could that be part of it with your sister, or is it just a general hatred of activity?

How nice! The place and the company :)

1 like

it was :)

You may also like...