Morning run with Maggie:: Were you out there... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
11,663 members โ€ข 15,122 posts

Morning run with Maggie:

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
โ€ข54 Replies

Were you out there Hidden ? I thought i saw those snazzy new shoes flash past me.

Right, well, that was a slow, painful run for various reasons, one of which I will explain later. Aside from that, I had a very disturbed night and really probably shouldn't have run this morning, but I promised Maggie, so out I went. In fact I was so tired that I kicked my inner left ankle with my right foot a couple of times, also tripped crossing a busy road. Another reason was that my muscles on my left leg are KILLING me where I've been doing the exercises my ex physio sister gave me to build up strength on that damaged limb. Plus Dennis is in full moult, so my breathing is abysmal.

As you can see from the collage, it was long leggings today (and long sleeved top) as it was only 10 degrees when I set out. I'm sorry, but I hate being cold. Bring back summer I say. And I wore my gorgeous orange On Cloudventure Peak shoes. I love them so much that i would like to wear them 24/7, when they would prove useful for kicking Mr I Don't Snore, in bed, when he starts not snoring.

The wheel of the year is turning, the seasons are changing and autumn is almost upon us. Fields where I ran through corn only last week are now cut. Lammas, the first harvest, is here and John Barleycorn must die! The sun is lower early in the morning, strobing into my eyes through the trees just as it did in spring. There is a scent of wet earth overlaid with the honeyed sweetness of buddleiah and the dustiness of vegetation dried out after many hot weeks.

So down the London Road, where I was passed by a very fast male runner who called a cheery good morning as he streaked by me and disappeared into the distance. I was still puffing my way towards the main road when he passed me again coming back the other way. Humph!

Then up along the Oxford/Stratford road, where I turned off and took a footpath over a harvested field. A rabbit scutted across my path, white tail bobbing, and shot into the hedge. Then I was crossing the field, towering skyscrapers of bales stacked along the horizon. And now we come to the other factor that slowed me considerably. As you can see from the photo on the right, there were swathes of straw laid across the footpath every ten yards or so, too deep to run through, so that i had to slow down and wade over each as I came to them - and they were right the way across a very large field. My inner thigh muscles were protesting by the time i got to the other side.

At last I was back on the London Road (I have no sense of direction so have no idea how that happened), just by the salt way, which I took back up to the main road again. That path has changed. In spring it was fresh, searing green, festooned with white cow parsley and hawthorn blossom like a virgin bride. Now the flowers have all gone, the leaves have faded down to a duller green, and the fields either side are brushed with muted gold where the corn is sundered.

I was going to make this a longer run, but honestly I was tired by that time, lack of sleep catching up with me, so I decided to take the Banbury Road back into Chipping Norton. A few nights ago I had a dream where I saw a fawn, very young, needing strength before it could run far and fast. I take a lot of notice of dreams, they often have messages for us. Deer are fleet animals, but this one was too young to run as strongly as it would as it grew. I'm still a baby runner, and I think my subconscious was telling me to nurture my running and not push when I should rest or run steadily. So I turned back into town, cut through the churchyard, then down the hill to the bottom, by the industrial estate, kicking fallen conkers in their spiked cases as I went. Ironically, I found my running legs and my second wind, but too late, I was nearly home; though right at the bottom of the hill, I doubled back on myself to make the run up to 8km. I'm doing the 50 mile virtual challenge this month, every km counts - and I want my bling!

54 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest
Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10

Lovely post Flick and gorgeous photos. Don't worry summer isn't over yet as temperatures are going to be scorching at the weekend.

I try to interpret my dreams too but only if I remember them. Sometimes it's later in the day when I recall. But I agree with you, they do send us messages as it's our subconscious working. I have dreamt a few times of people here! Not sure what that means, probably that I spend too much time here ๐Ÿ˜•

Well done on that lovely run and on your challenge! Brilliant x

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Irishprincess

Thank you so much. I hope you're right about the weather. Once it starts raining here, it never seems to stop!

Dreams are amazing. Usually they are prompts from one's mind, but every so often I get one that is prophetic. Like the one where I saw a friend who had moved away and I had lost touch with. I was walking down past the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford and ran into her. The next day it happened exactly as i'd dreamed it. I've had a few like that. i think our psyches sometimes see round corners.

I need to push a little this month and next as I'm doing the 10k charity race at Blenheim at the end of September and don't want to disgrace myself by coming in last! x

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

That's amazing about the dream! Do you read tarot cards? I'm only asking because I'm reading a book atm and the main character reads tarot cards. It's quite interesting.

I doubt you'll come in last as this is a big event. Search for previous years' results and this will give you an idea of times, etc and you will be reassured.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Yes, Iโ€™m a tarot reader. Have also studied both Western and Indian/Vedic astrology.

I looked at the results a few days ago. It takes me about 1hr 33min to run 10k. Not many were slower than that. Mind you, I might be faster if running with others.

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

How fascinating! Never heard of Vedic but am off now to google......

You will be faster when running with others and the atmosphere will give you added oomph but at the end of the day you're running against yourself. Just think of the bling ๐Ÿ… It works for me ๐Ÿ™‚

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

All Iโ€™m ever really worried about is the cut off time and I think itโ€™s two hours for that race ๐Ÿ˜Š

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

You'll be fine and come under that time ๐Ÿ™‚

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

I should do. And I donโ€™t think itโ€™s any hillier than round here.๐Ÿ˜Š

AlMorr
AlMorrGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Very very unlikely that a seasoned runner like you will come last in that Blenheim 10K charity race in September, there will be plenty of people there who will just be there for their charity and walk most of the course.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to AlMorr

Well thatโ€™s reassuring. Thank you for that ๐Ÿ˜Š

MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10

Another lovely post, Flick. I love reading these. They are so descriptive that I can see your run in my mind.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

Thank you Mike. I enjoy writing them, and it's so beautiful round here that there's plenty to write about. x

MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Yes, a bit different to my lunchtime runs....... Oh look, some terraced 1970's houses, dodge the cars parked on the pavement, ooooo nice mattress dumped behind that fence, what are those dodgy characters up to?

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

But that's interesting too. And you still have birds and insects flying past, and greenery and the changing sky. The only place I've ever been where i would be hard pushed to find any redeeming factor is Croydon.

MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

True. I will try to look for the positives next time and do a write up. I've not posted for a while :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

Yes, please do, i enjoy your posts. mind you, you're so fast that you probably don't have time to notice anything!

MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Lol, itโ€™s all a blur ๐Ÿ˜‰

icklegui
icklegui
in reply to FlickM3

hey hey hey... :)

limberlou
limberlouGraduate10

Sounds like a lovely run nonetheless. I love your descriptive powers Flick. You should write books.

Iโ€™m doing a 50 mile walking challenge this month, which frightened me to start as that just over 80kbut I broke it down to 20 a week and 3 days left over so Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s doable.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to limberlou

Thank you. LOL, it was my day job, several non fiction with a major American Mind Body Spirit publisher, then novels published with Amazon Kindle.

Well done for taking on the walking challenge. you totally haven't let your time on the IC put you off. Lots of people give up if they can't run for a while.

limberlou
limberlouGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Not me, I am champing at the bit to get back to running.

Dizzysmum17
Dizzysmum17Graduate10

Your posts are so descriptive. I love them - it sounds such a beautiful place to run. And well done on your challenge. X

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Dizzysmum17

thank you :) The challenge is good as I'm doing a 10k charity run at the end of September and also want to start working towards a half marathon. I ran nearly 50 miles last month anyway, so not much further to do, but the challenge keeps me on target and motivated. xx

Dizzysmum17
Dizzysmum17Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Wow 50 miles! Thatโ€™s amazing - well done. Are you doing the Race at your Pace challenge? I did the 25 miles one but not sure I could manage 50 miles yet. X

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Dizzysmum17

Yes, thatโ€™s the one. Im running pretty much that a month anyway but 75 miles would be a bit far. Iโ€™m doing a lot of longer runs, 8-12k so it all adds up xx

lexi6
lexi6Graduate10

I loved your post Flick, so descriptive and what a gorgeous place to run. Conkers - brought back loads of memories of the fun (and sore knuckles) playing conkers. Simple pleasures. Great run, ooh! and fab leggings! X

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to lexi6

Thank you๐Ÿ˜Š ah, the leggings are by Sturdy by Design. I love their stuff, though the mediums sell out really fast. Seems every female runner in the world is a medium! X

lexi6
lexi6Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Still waiting for my last two pair to arrive ๐Ÿ™ theyโ€™ve got a sale on, but as you say not the right sizes. Curses. Sturdy are well made gorgeousness. X

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to lexi6

I like their vest tops too, with the trim that matches the leggings, but they always run out of my size. X

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to lexi6

Am fighting a battle with myself too as really want the paint swirl leggings after seeing yours but have spent TOO much on running gear. But if I wait till Christmas will they be discontinued? And shouldnโ€™t you be in bed? Isnโ€™t it around midnight for you? Xx

lexi6
lexi6Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

My old boss used to say youโ€™re a long time dead and thats how I look at it now, I treat myself. Its only money and the paint swirl are bootiful, you could run in them at Blenheim. Tis bedtime 11.00pm here, the dogs are enjoying the last of the woodburner, electric blanket on, canโ€™t wait to hop in. Nite xx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to lexi6

Sleep well xxx

Incredible write-up, Flick. And an incredible run - it sounds like you are ever learning more and more about your body and your abilities as a runner. Keep inspiring us :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to icklegui

Thank you so much ๐Ÿ˜Š though Iโ€™m still abysmally slow. Do you realise MikeJones68 runs twice as fast as me? Still, I can just keep running forever so I guess itโ€™s swings and roundabouts x

MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I think you run in graceful slow motion, like the bionic woman ๐Ÿ˜‰

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Hidden
HiddenGraduate10

Hi Flick I knew it was you this morning.๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ˜€Those jazzy leggings stood out against the beautiful green hills so the colour combo was delicious.

Iโ€™m sorry Flick that you had a bad nights sleep. You should of just stayed in bed wrapped up nice and warm.Anyway thanks sweetheart for running with me!โค๏ธ It was cold this morning and nearly put a long sleeved top on...wished I had.

Hope you feel better soon petxx

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Hidden

I can never go back to sleep once Iโ€™ve woken up. Also the dogs need attention, so I have to get up. But Iโ€™m glad I ran. I managed 8k despite being tired so canโ€™t complain.

Yep, I was cold too and was glad of long sleeves, though I was warm by the end of the run. Itโ€™s getting to that time when you need a running jacket to begin with, then end up tying it round your waist ๐Ÿ˜Š

Have you written up your run? Iโ€™m really looking forward to reading it. And thank you for running with me, lovely ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿผโ€โ™€๏ธXxx

Hidden
HiddenGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Yes Iโ€™ve written it but itโ€™s not too long Iโ€™m afraid but Iโ€™m sure youโ€™ll enjoy it. I read yours( brilliant as always) and you must have been reading my mind as I was going to mention like you did how it will soon be autumn. I do wonder if weโ€™ll have more hot days? Personally Flick I hope not. I prefer the autumn and winter ๐ŸŒจโ„๏ธโ˜ƒ๏ธ๐Ÿ’จโค๏ธX

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Hidden

Just read and commented on your run. It certainly feels autumnal here now, itโ€™s got that feel to the air that makes you want to bake apple pies. Loved your run description x

Hidden
HiddenGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Yum! I love apple pie! Now whereโ€™s my ingredients ?๐Ÿฅง๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Hidden

Itโ€™s about the only thing I can be bothered to bake ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hidden
HiddenGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I do love to make mince pies at Xmas.I never buy them now as their full of preservatives and too much sugar! so I make my own pastry and add some ground almond in the recipe delicious !๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Hidden

Yes, me too, with ground almonds too ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hidden
HiddenGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Great minds Flick great minds!๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Hidden

Definitely ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ

Anthie
AnthieGraduate10

Great post and pictures as ever! But my favourite is about the shoes!!! They look wonderful!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Anthie

Thank you Anthie ๐Ÿ˜Š Iโ€™m so in love with the shoes. They are trail shoes but, honestly, they are really speedy and snappy on the road as well. My run was half and half this morning

Sarakc
SarakcGraduate10

Lovely post! I look forward to reading about your runs and seeing your colourful pics! I must get out tomorrow as Iโ€™m off work! Looks like summer is over here in Scotland! I need a bit more wear out of my shorts and vest tops!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sarakc

Thank you. I feel the same about your posts ๐Ÿ˜Š yes we need a bit more summer, capris and shorts and vests are so much more fun than long leggings and running jackets!

GoGo_JoJo
GoGo_JoJoModerator

Lovely run in spite of the lack of sleep and sore muscles!! Great pics and descrips! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to GoGo_JoJo

Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Šโค๏ธ

HoagyM
HoagyMGraduate10

Agreed, sounds like a long lovely and varied run in the countryside, and a very entertaining post too. Thank you Flick ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to HoagyM

You are very welcome and thank you :)

You may also like...