Trying out my hydration backpack for the fir... - Bridge to 10K

Bridge to 10K
11,407 members14,941 posts

Trying out my hydration backpack for the first time on a nice little 8km spin. 16 degrees when I set out @ 6.30am, 20 when I got back):

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

I filled it two thirds full and dropped in a high 5 electrolyte tablet. As it turned out, this was twice as much fluid as I needed for a sub 10km run. It feels like galumphing along with a hot water bottle strapped to your back, and it sloshes around loudly in time to your footfalls, even if you do your best to get all the air our before sealing it. Also you end up looking like a Cyberman due to the drinking tube looping round your neck and across your chest. I don’t appreciate the extra weight either. My first drink from it went up my nose, like snorting some cool new designer drug. But, hydration with electrolytes if definitely the way to go. Despite relative heat and noticeable humidity, I feel fresh as a daisy now after running 8km. The other thing is that there was room in the pack to carry my hat (which I didn’t end up wearing) and also key and phone. Room for snacks or gels as well.

I was going to try out my On Cloudventure Peaks for a longer distance, but thought I was only going to be running on tarmac, so wore my Cloudflyers instead. In the end half the run was off road, so I could have worn the Peaks after all. Never mind. I’ll do a long cross country run with them soon.

I have to say it’s lovely at the moment. Lammas is almost upon us and the ripe corn is dusty gold, the cut fields the colour of lightly toasted bread. Ragged Robin is putting out its feathery seed pods among jazzy pink flowers; in the shaded verges it looks like fire and smoke – in fact they call it fire weed because it likes to grow where fire has destroyed other vegetation.

After chugging my way along the London Road and up along the main road, I saw a footpath cutting across a field of wheat and decided to explore. The way was extremely narrow, and quite frankly I don’t know how Theresa May managed it in her feckless youth; the stalks of corn tangled round my ankles and slowed me to almost walking pace. But it was a wonderful diversion. I didn’t realise how heady the harvest smells when it’s due to be gathered: a dry, musky sweetness that wraps itself around you and lifts your spirits. The view was blonde to the tree line on the horizon, with a dramatic sky sweeping above it to the edges of sight.

The footpath brought me back onto the London Road, which was a surprise. I was a bit disorientated and nearly went in the wrong direction. As it was found I was across the road from the Salt Way. I crossed during a gap in the busy traffic and took it to the Banbury Road, and so back into Chipping Norton, all the way down to the industrial estate at the bottom of the hill, (Mr I don’t Snore passed me on his way to work and waved at me). I had got into that lovely easy rhythm where you feel you could keep going for miles (despite an annoying small stone in my right shoe, that worked its way round my foot – and that, inevitably, cannot now be found, and will no doubt emerge on my next run in those shoes), but I called it a day – there was nowhere to run to without either doing the whole circuit again – with possible variations – or take a much longer route out of the town.

As I was walking home back up the hill, a lorry driver hooted at me and whistled at the same time as my Garmin burst into a firework display because I’d hit my stairs climbed goal! I wonder what he thought when he saw a red faced 71 year old in his rear view mirror. Still, I must look okay from behind still, LOL.

When I got back, I decided to pour the rest of the fluid from the pack into a mug and drink it, and managed to get it all over the worktop and the floor – hum … I think I need to practice filling and emptying it.

The final niggle of the day was finding my run wouldn’t transfer from my watch to my phone because Garmin was down for maintenance. That’s never happened before and is incredibly frustrating.

But, all in all, the hydration backpack is a success. My legs felt fresher at the end of the run than they did when I set out, and I could have gone further than 8km despite the fact that it was warming up.

48 Replies
oldestnewest
GoGo_JoJo
GoGo_JoJoModerator

Great run 🤣 a hoot from a truck is usually good news👍

Hydration packs definately take time to get used to. I use a lumbar version for cycling so the weight is not as bad nor the bounce.

😁👍

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to GoGo_JoJo

Thank you. At my age, I'll take whatever i can get ;)

Mine didn't bounce, thankfully, but it definitely sloshed around. When i took it off to walk home, i was surprised at how heavy it still was, despite me drinking half the contents.

Sarakc
SarakcGraduate10

Lovely post as usual!! Had me laughing out here in the sun as I relax after my 6 am run!!

I had same issue with my Garmin and even posted on here for help but then deleted it as I realised it was down for maintenance!!!

I’m not sure I’d fancy one of those water packs! I have been carrying a small bottle with a sports cap and I feel like I’m in a relay about to pass or probably drop the baton!!!

Well done on your run today! Glad you feel good!!! 😀🏃‍♀️☀️

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Sarakc

thank you! :) Actually I think the backpack will be brilliant once I've got used to the sloshing noise and how and how much to fill it. On a really long hot run, a small water bottle wouldn't be enough. I've got a small one with my flipbelt and took it on an 11k cross country exploration (as you probably remember) and felt quite faint when i got home. I did think originally of a hand held bottle, but i hate the thought of having to carry something in my hand while running - though I''m passed all the time here by runners using them.

dindy
dindyGraduate10

Nice run flick.I think all that sloshing around would make me want to go to wee wees(-:

I keep on debating on trying the electrolyte tablets. Have you tried all the flavors or just the one? I only ask this as I have tried different tablets for different things over the years and they either do not taste anything like the flavour or just plain c--p and like hiss water.

MikeJones68
MikeJones68Graduate10

Lovely write up and some beautiful photos, young Flick. Ok from the back? You look amazing all over! :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to MikeJones68

Aw, thank you Mike, you've made my day! x

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

I did almost want to go wee wees! I've tried SIS berry flavour and High 5 tropical. both are really nice in a ratio of 1 tab to a large mug of water, but are a bit thin tasting dissolved in a hydration bladder of water. But to be perfectly honest, when you're running and need a drink you don't care; everything tastes good. My only concern is that they probably have artificial sweeteners in (I must check the label) as they certainly don't have sugar. You can get flavourless ones though.

pinkaardvark
pinkaardvarkGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

The pineapple and mango one is best. The cola one is a bit weird and has caffeine. The berry and or lemon aren't too bad. They say 1 tab for 500ml, so last run I took 1.5l and two tabs but still found that too strong. I don't mind that concentration for the gym but it seems when running I want something weaker less sticky feeling, ideally maybe water and juice on tap with two bladders would be great lol.

500ml is probably more than enough for 10k, I usually just take my squeezy 250ml bottle for that distance.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to pinkaardvark

Yes you’re probably right about the amount, in fact I know you are since I filled it two thirds full and only drank half of that. I think forvshorter runs I will get a second bottle for my flipbelt and stick with that. I do need the fluid though, as my recent disaster dry 12k shows.

Dexy5
Dexy5Graduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Where do you get the tablets from Flick? I asked in boots and they just had powdered sachets for other types of runs!!!

theoldfellow
theoldfellowGraduate10

Oh you do cheer me up Flick!

I must get some high 5 tablets, they clearly do you good. Or maybe it's the running....

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to theoldfellow

For me electrolytes seem to be essential. I ran 12km on a hot day without fluid and ended up hardly able to walk home, faint and speckled vision, panting etc. today, I felt fine thanks to drinking. Haha, yes, the running does the trick too :)

dindy
dindyGraduate10

Ha Ha Just read bottom of your post where you say you are passed by runners holding water bottles,I presume they are all going the other way from you!!!.

There seems to be a increase in the last few weeks of young runners overtaking me and leaving dust in my fast. I have tried keeping up with them which last for about 15 seconds then I collapse waiting for the next one to run past!!!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Ah, the trick, you see, is to speed up dramatically when you see them approaching and ratchet down to a choking, wheezing crawl again once they are out of sight. The other trick, i suspect, is not to mind they are faster ;)

Tasha99
Tasha99Graduate10

That made me LOL. Especially the cyber man part. I retreated ed to the gym and the dreadmill again. So well done to you! I must say, hydration drinks are helping me too 👌🏽

dindy
dindyGraduate10

Flick I do not know why but the word "Bladder" sort of puts me off! For some reason I keep on thinking of a sheep`s bladder!!

I suppose the best approach to younger, fitter,stronger faster runners is to accept they are and will be faster.

Just checked the High 5 website and they say no sugar but below is list of ingredients in a berry tablets. Must admit it makes no sense to me as I normally just buy something & scoff it. I suppose my view is if it has not done me any harm in 70 years then not to worry for the last part of journey. Same as keeping everything spotlessly clean using various sprays with who knows what in,but that is another story on another forum as has nothing to do with running.Not unless you are worried about what detergent you wash your running gear in!! Mind you we have been there b4 so will give that one a miss!(-:

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to dindy

I have to be careful as am sensitive to certain things. For example, washing stuff in anything but Exocet brings my skin up looking like raw meat and itching furiously. I agree about over cleaning and am not prone to it (or cleaning of any kind unless forced to lol)). Regarding additives in food, it makes no sense to me to run and get your body fit then put rubbish in it. If I eat too much junk I end up lethargic and ill.

dindy
dindyGraduate10

Bugger forgot to paste the ingredients for Berry High 5 Tablets

Acidity Regulators (Citric Acid, Malic Acid), Sodium Bicarbonate, Firming Agent (Sorbitols), Magnesium Carbonate, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Natural Flavourings, Beetroot Concentrate, L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Calcium Carbonate, Sweetener (Sucralose), Black Carrot Concentrate, Leucine, Curcuma Powder, Green Tea Leaves Extract (Camellia Sinensis O.Ktze), Sodium Chloride.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to dindy

Thanks for this 😊🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

theoldfellow
theoldfellowGraduate10
in reply to dindy

Of those the only one I would worry about is Sucralose. The food manufacturers have been going over to it from Aspartamine, now we know that it isn't very good for you, but there is little evidence that Sucralose is any better. Personally, I would prefer them to leave it sour, and not add sweetener, but I realise that 95% of humanity wants everything super-sweet (as evidenced by marketing....).

naturalnews.com/045824_sucr...

I've been trying to find old-fashioned not-so-sweet apples for ages, with no success.

Bah! Humbug!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to theoldfellow

You can get electrolyte tabs with no flavour or sweetener. I shall try those next.

theoldfellow
theoldfellowGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I doubt they would do you any lasting harm in small quantities, and over a short period. But it's worth seeing if you really need the sweeteners.

You are too precious to risk! :)

dindy
dindyGraduate10

I cannot use any deodorant unless it is alcohol free and cannot use any other soap unless it is Simple Soap or I come up in a rash. Got to admit I have not tried a multitude of different soaps but found one that suits me and stick to it.

Never had this problem when I was a young strapping lad,well young anyway but as I have changed into an old fart little things seems to effect me,getting old I suppose?

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to dindy

It was being pregnant that originally sensitised my skin.

ju-ju-
ju-ju-Administrator

Lovely pics, well done on the run. What pack have you got?

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to ju-ju-

Thank you 😊 I got it from Decathlon. It’s a Kalenji 5litre. I’m guessing it’s Decathlon’s own brand. Does the trick and is comfortable.

dindy
dindyGraduate10

Not had that problem!!!!!!!!!

Sutsha
SutshaGraduate10

Lovely write up Flick, I for one thoroughly enjoyed that. So did you by all accounts. Was disappointed there was no pics of the Ragged Robin or jazzy pink flowers, although my imagination is racing.

Good review of the hydration pack, you've got me thinking about investing. So far I've never taken water and there have been a couple of times I could've done with a little. Because it would have to be a little, I've never given it further thought, I didn't want to risk a stitch. I've run with a few stitches and it's not good.

I have a camel pack for my ski trips, but the bag is way too big. I'll def give this more consideration now.

Loving your spirit and tales of adventure!

...and get you with honks from admirers too!! 🤩😉

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Thanks Sutsha 😊 I didn’t post pics of the ragged robin as I included a phot of it in a fairly recent run.

About the hydration backpack, mine is quite small and very comfortable. It’s essential for longer runs for me in the heat as I’ve recently made myself ill running with no fluid or very little x

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10

Fab post and well done on the run. Soon we'll be able to sue drivers who toot at us 🙄 Honestly. It's ridiculous.

I've seen you from the front and you look gorgeous so the lorry driver clearly thought so too.

You know a little bit of fruit juice or sugar in plain water will probably give you the same benefit? But they're all a no-no for me as I want to have my own teeth when I'm 80!

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Irishprincess

Aw, you are lovely and very kind ❤️😊

I used to take fruit juice on long bike rides and it really helped. However, the state I was in recently running 12k in the heat really scared me, and the electrolytes make me feel a lot more energised than fruit juice ever did. They have no sugar in so your teeth should be ok. They are the sort you dissolve in water. Fruit juice will attack teeth too 😳 not happy about artificial sweetener in the tablets though so will get flavour free next time. But they do work like magic. X

Irishprincess
IrishprincessGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

They suit some people and not others. I took a sip of one once at a drinks station on a race and thought I'd throw up! Not for me but given your experience you're right to experiment.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to Irishprincess

Yes, it was scary as hell though all my own fault! 😳

TedG
TedGGraduate10

Lovely post Flick, the cyber man made me giggle too 😆

So glad you had a good run today, I hope you have many more of them 😊

I had a Hydration vest delivered today too....Camelbak Circuit, really light.

Re water sloshing about, my brother gave me a tip and that is to turn the bladder upside down and draw all the air out, no more sloshing about.....apparently! Not tried it out yet.

I picked up some Smart Water from boots which has added Electrolytes, took a bottle with me last night, tastes pleasant enough 😊

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to TedG

Thanks Ted :) and thanks for the tip for the sloshing water. I did do what you do with a hot water bottle and squeeze air out in the space above the water, but your tip sounds a better bet. x

TedG
TedGGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

I just tried it Flick, seems to work. I sucked all the air out, closed the valve....sorted 🤗😎

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to TedG

That’s good because it will, presumably, also make it easier to suck through the tube. I had too much sir

Yep TedG , FlickM3 that's the way to do it but make sure you've properly closed it before turning upside down - 😚 Just saying 😊. If it's not a bite valve on the end but a pull one you might not get all the air out. Also if you keep the bladder sorry dindy in the fridge after rinsing out (leave the stopper off and coil the tube (I can fit mine partially into the bladder) it helps keep it mould free. One of my salad drawers is home to two of them.

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to AnnieW55

Yes I read that about keeping it in the freezer on Run Mummy Run yesterday. I really have to bite the bullet and remove it from the pack. I’m worried I won’t work out how to put the tube back in it’s keepers.

orangeguy
orangeguyGraduate10

Most impressive Flick, I think we should call you "SuperFlick", even those pic's look hot! I think I'm retiring until the end of the heatwave :)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Thank you! Does that mean i have to wear my knickers over my tights?

Seriously, I've got to keep pegging on (if not pegging out ...). i have a 10k race at Blenheim at the end of September so i want to get as much running in as possible, especially longer than 5k. x

mountaindreamer
mountaindreamerGraduate10

Had just this minute ordered a hydration vest from Amazon when I read this! (Based on your previous hydration issue post that had me thinking I need to be able to carry more water...) Will see how I get on with the sloshing, as I was planning to put my 2.5l hiking bladder in the thing, so it will be even emptier!

I also ordered 2 x 350ml soft flasks, with drinking straw type sip valves, which should fit in the pockets on the front straps. I’m wondering if I may prefer using those instead of the bladder. I already have lots of waist and lumbar sacks with bottle holders, but I stop to drink when hiking with those. I’d like to find a way to drink while still running.

My husband says now I’ve ordered these the heatwave will end, though!! 😂😂😂

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

Ah, I've been told the sloshing can be stopped by getting all the air out first. I drank while running this morning. easy, just take the cap off the tube and drink as if it's a huge straw. The pack is incredibly comfortable and very light weight, except for the liquid in it, obviously!

As for the heatwave ending, there's always next year :)

mountaindreamer
mountaindreamerGraduate10
in reply to FlickM3

Thanks - yes, I was just reading the other replies about sloshing this morning (was a bit rushed last night!) I usually do get all the air out first when using the things for hiking, but wondered if running made things slosh about more.

I’m quite curious to see how these hydration vests feel on, as it strikes me that they may also be very useful for carrying easy access water and food on long all day rock climbs without them interfering with a waist harness or sliding about too much. I particularly like the look of having stash pockets on the front of the shoulder straps. In hot countries we end up climbing with bottles and food bags hanging off our harnesses, which can get in the way. (Guess it just depends if these look strong enough to take scrapping them up rough rockfaces when you end up with your whole body jammed in cracks!)

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10
in reply to mountaindreamer

Mine has fastenings across the chest. i only used the lower one, to avoid a strange tan line. Very comfortable. I'm not sure how strong the material would be if pulled across rough surfaces - they are designed for running - but I dont know.

limberlou
limberlouGraduate10

My daughter’s friend is in the Army and he said definitely make sure you clean it out regularly or you get nasty snarligugs in it which are a bitch to clean out then

But I’m sure you will clean it anyway

And it sounded like a lovely run. I just measured my calves today and the injured one is a whole inch smaller around now!!! Gonna have to do some serious building up before I run again 💪x

FlickM3
FlickM3Graduate10

I suspected cleaning it would be a thing. I will have to bite the bullet and work out how to get it back into its guide holders - the tube has a very complicated arrangement!

To your muscle wasting, it should soon build up once you are walking around properly again. My legs became strips of spaghetti after I fractured my femur when I was 19. My fracture leg still has wasting of calf and of thigh just above the knee, but running has built it up so that the difference isn’t as obvious.

You may also like...